The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How Why was made

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

ditto

and the funny thing is that to my eye the peripheral How film is far more lively and interesting than the main Why film

which may be Why How was made .-)

carstenw

Really nice, I saw this a couple of days ago, and just watched it again. Check out some of the films by the same guy too. Makes you want to buy a Nikon. Ah wait, I already have one! Two actually...

ustein

Contributing Editor
Of course nice. But it is amazing how much effort has to be put into a Nikon ad film. For me personally everything that cannot be done by Bettina and me is of not interest at all.

The message was: you can do it with your D4, right? You can't!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Of course nice. But it is amazing how much effort has to be put into a Nikon ad film. For me personally everything that cannot be done by Bettina and me is of not interest at all.

That's an interesting point, and I was thinking along similar lines myself. But there are different targets and different approaches to reach those targets. Some of the footage in Why is spectacular without giving a message to the viewer about how difficult it were to make. Maybe other sequences would have looked just as spectacular without as much effort but that wasn't the objective here. They wanted to do the ultimate shots possible within their framework, and that framework seems to have been next to unlimited, except for the time constraint. The bonus was that How became spectacular as well, which obviously must have been part of the plan anyway; two spectacular films for the rather spectacular cost of one :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I agree, Uwe, and this was actually my very first thought:

"Phew, I think I'll just wait until I come across a decisive moment" :D

Which is probably just the classic still photography amateur approach :rolleyes:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>"Phew, I think I'll just wait until I come across a decisive moment"

Very amateur :). Pros have sponsors with big pockets. Did I mention that in the end we all pay for it?

Actually a film about "Why?" (with '?') would be interesting and complicated. E.g. we could ask if these extreme sports would much exist without sponsors that use them for ads. How many would risk their lives without earning a living via sponsors?

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Compared to what sponsors and the general public are willing to pay for a bunch of men running around at a field, chasing a white ball, I consider whatever has gone in to stuff like Why and How well invested and good entertainment.

V

Vivek

I find the remarks about photographers getting paid "too much" quite fascinating. I do not know much about other sites but it appears only the photo related sites attract such thoughts and comments.

The folks in the linked video risked a lot get make the video and as they say at the end, used a few cams to make it (not just a D4). The risk factor, the sheer amount of gear/logistics and the creative elements sure is worth whatever they charged Nikon for the promo video.

I rather prefer that Nikon (or any other camera maker) pay videographers like this to make a promo/advert than some hollywood actor or a rock musician to endorse a product claiming "I am &^&(*$".

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I swear I was just joking, Vivek :)

(I actually have no clue what the photographers were paid)

I have deleted the rotated screendump just in case it wasn't funny

V

Vivek

Steen, It was just a general observation and not directed against you (or any one person).

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thank you, both of you.
Let's get back on track.

Lots of thanks to Jorgen for the heads up.
I found the "How" movie very interesting as I know so little about all the planning and logistics it takes to shoot about 7 minutes video from more or less impossible angles.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

Thank you, both of you.
Let's get back on track.

Lots of thanks to Jorgen for the heads up.
I found the "How" movie very interesting as I know so little about all the planning and logistics it takes to shoot about 7 minutes video from more or less impossible angles.
Well, to start with, you seem to need some mountains :ROTFL:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

If the mountain will not come to Mahomet, Mahomet must go to the mountain :lecture:

A friend of mine lives in Thailand, he has access to mountains.
And racing cars.
Even umbrellas.
You name it.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>I found the "How" movie very interesting as I know so little about all the planning and logistics it takes to shoot about 7 minutes video from more or less impossible angles.

Some music videos cost $1,000,000 which is as insane.