The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Diglloyd

Status
Not open for further replies.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
It makes no sense.
Hi Allan,

Posting the question without a reference point to direct a response on this forum with has such a nuanced sophisticated interchange of ideas and knowledge seemed akin to the Flatlanders perception of 3D objects as they inflected the 2D plane of their existence. Probably the three forum question seemed like the Flanders need of an extra dimensional
framework to understand the 3D inflection.

Perhaps a corollary would be the blind men describing the elephant...lots of points which would be hard to transpose into the reality of the animal. I am unsure that those of us describing the elephant would be likely to give a comprehensive congruent answer to the somewhat ill defined question.

A random thought that I might have omitted from the thread....

Bob

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Wow Did you guys not have your expresso ? The forum is full of hundreds of incredibly stupid questions about which lens is better ...without an once of context . Yet no one jumps on the OP ? Why not just ask the OP some questions rather than pointing out that his question is too open ended ?

I have been a long time supporter of Diglloyd because he really makes an effort to produce excellent equipment tests . While his opinion shines through (sometimes too much) ....his testing is first rate . He provides more than enough samples to understand the overall IQ as well as the character of a lens .

If you are putting together a new kit ..he can save you plenty of time in evaluating alternative lenses . Its one heck of a lot better than asking a landscape photographer which wide angle he prefers when you want the lens for travel shots .

Is it worth the price ...this depends on how you plan to use the information . And with any testing oriented site ..you have to filter some of the natural bias that is inherent in any review .

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
My experience with Digiloyd - EXCEPTIONAL!

I occasionally stumbled over his website and after hesitating for a while, I subscribed (meanwhile I became pretty careful about that in general - Sean Reid for example did never meet my expectations). My first subscription was to Carl Zeiss lens tests. Meanwhile I have a 1.4/35 ZF.2 on my D800E and could not be happier! All what the tests he provides unveiled is TRUE! And the tests are largely based on real photography, not test charts and MTF curves, which anybody can read from anywhere in the net.

I plan to do some more lens purchases based on his tests.

Subscribed later to the Leica guide and as I own most of the M glass I only can reiterate - he is pretty much spot on with his tests and results!

And what I like most is, he has a very informative and non aggressive style of writing / posting / blogging, which is hard to find elsewhere in the net.

Great site to subscribe to, check it out!

Peter

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Lloyd is a friend and we exchange information on testing gear a lot of the time -- I value his efforts and insights. Additionally, Lloyd has been very helpful to me personally with his knowledge and tests of Mac-specific computer hardware and peripherals.

Some heavily tech-savvy folks criticize him at times for certain simplifications in his explanations or reliance on benchmarks that may or may not be relevant to the real-world application. Regardless, they are necessary for baseline comparison and ability to appeal to the broadest sector of readership.

He is also often criticized for his subscription model where he gives the overviews away for free, but if you want the meat you must pay to see them. Here I am sympathetic as well -- it requires a significant investment of both time and money to operate and maintain a quality, informative website, and if you're not getting compensated for it, you can loose interest pretty quickly. (Yes, I am speaking from experience.)

In short, I like Lloyd and feel he is one of the good guys in our cause ;)

A

Allan Ostling

Any opinions on Lloyd Chambers and his website?
I had a subscription, but did not find it very useful for my Micro Four Thirds system. Diglloyd is geared to those with DSLRs, especially Nikon and Canon.

This is, of course, the Nikon forum, so I expect my comment will not resonate with most of you. I am on this forum only because I recently acquired a Nikon V1. I'll be taking that on a trip to the Baltic countries in August.

Last edited:

eleanorbrown

I subscribe to Lloyd's site and find it invaluable. I have a new Nikon D800e and made my lens selections from information offered primarily from two sources...Guy's reviews here and Lloyd's reviews... FYI...I decided on Nikon 24 1.4G, 14-24 g, 35 1.4g, 50 1.4g, 85 1.4g, and zeiss 100 2 makro. I highly recommend Lloyd's site...he has saved me $$$ by helping me make wise purchase decisions. Eleanor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I'm still here and on a little break from the forum myself and I also follow Lloyd and his impressions on things. I find it a good resource for everyone as you can certainly gain some insight to a lot if gear. Lloyd as Jack mentioned is a friend of ours and we support each others efforts in bringing the best information that our experiences in the field can bring. Like anything look at the data as a piece of the puzzle your trying to solve. No one can fully answer your total question directly but getting info from several good sources is the best way to learn.

Guy Mancuso

And yes I am behind on a lot if my testing as well. Myself I have been busy working and now heading for vacation this week but I do have some stuff in store.

carstenw

I do have a subscription, but I think I will let it lapse now that it is coming up for renewal for the third year. Partly I just have the Zeiss lenses I want for my D800, and know which are the ones I might add, and partly I have just learned much of what he has on his site on my own accord.

I never had a problem with the pay model.

I would recommend that if you want to get up to speed on Zeiss lenses, or if you are looking for detailed information on how to make sharp photos, or if you want access to reviews of some oddball high-end equipment like the Pentax 645D or the Leica S2, then it is worth a one-year subscription, and after that you can decide yourself if you want to renew.

I hesitate to say this, given that he apparently has friends here, but I do feel that his approach has slipped a little in the last year or so. I feel that he is less careful about presenting the facts in a neutral way, and has moved more into an editorial style, where his opinion is given more free reign, and therefore I don't always find what I am looking for, or I am sometimes less keen on the delivery of the information. This clearly does not ruin what he has built, but it does make it a bit less interesting than in the past to subscribe. All in my opinion only, of course. Still a good deal for that first year, if you need what he has.

Guy Mancuso

Interesting Carsten maybe that is true as i have noticed it a little more lately. My reviews at least in my style is more in shooting real world stuff and not the same subject all the time. For some folks they may like my approach more or less for that matter. I try and stay less technical and more about real world but that is my way and how I test gear, its usually very sound in the shooting and very neutral in the processing and I am very neutral in the approach but do have strong opinions on what is good and what is not. We all do this stuff differently for sure and it does come down to who and what kind of data is being presented. So you make a very good observation here and Lloyd may or may not hit the data you are after and certainly can be said about all the reviewers out there in photo land. Like anything else everyone with camera is a expert now.:D Some stuff I read is pure garbage but I do scan Lloyds stuff and find the little extra comments helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.