The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III together in the Field

ustein

Contributing Editor
Bettina and I had a day trip on the amazingly beautiful Highway 25 from Hollister to King City. We used the Nikon D800 with the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II and the Canon 5D Mark III with our trusty 70-200mm f/4 IS. We did not intend to make a comparison but tried to get the pictures we wanted instead. But this allows us to share with you the results (the full resolution processed images are provided). Both worked fine. You can judge yourself. We have no intention to declare a winner if there even is one. Obviously the D800 has higher resolution while the 5D Mark III combo is lighter and would allow faster bursts.

All processing was done in Lightroom 4.1.

Field Shots Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark III - Digital Outback Photo

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thank you so much, Uwe, for sharing this nice Canon Nikon get-together picture set.
It's always such a relief to have access to full size versions of the pictures.
It makes it far easier to judge all kinds of image qualities.

It seems like you used the Camera Neutral profile in Lightroom (LR) for the Nikon images.
Personally I think I would in general recommend the Camera Standard profile for D800 when using LR, I find it more accurate and also more pleasing.
And in this specific case I would probably try the Camera Landscape profile, but of course it's just a matter of taste.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Steen,

the Camera Standard seems fine in terms of colors. I like the softer contrast of Neutral but in this case Standard might be the better option.For People Neutral is really the best option I think. Landscape created too strong saturation.

Thanks for the pointer.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

By the way, the pictures are all very good but I think especially one of them stands out as strange and magic: # 15. That picture is stunning.

I love the rendering of the in-focus areas as well as the out-of-focus areas. It looks like an oil painting.

Print it big :thumbup:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>one of them stands out as strange and magic: # 15. That picture is stunning.

Bettina saw that right away and I thought we had not much chance to make something out of it. 11am sun at 80F in California :). Glad she tried.

Here is the more complete scene from the RX100:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
We have no intention to declare a winner if there even is one.
Uh sorry Uwe, but you know me and I can't let you off that easy! :ROTFL:

Seriously, without declaring a "winner," surely you had/have a "favorite" combo? :D

ustein

Contributing Editor
>surely you had/have a "favorite" combo?

Honestly, not really there yet. The shooting is more fun with the 5D3 and I like the resolution of the D800.

ustein

Contributing Editor
The 5D3 + 70-200mm f/4 IS combo is so much lighter and better to handle handheld.

jonoslack

So are you running for public office?

:ROTFL:
You can bet your life that if Uwe came to the UK he'd have the tact not to criticise the Olympics . . . . and the wit not to forget his opposite number's name (the leader of the opposition).

So, I'm all for it - Uwe for President!

ustein

Contributing Editor
Isn't that just due to the slower f4 lens?
Yes, but there is no equivalent for Nikon. The 70-200 f/4 IS zoom is excellent.

Jack,

not running for office :). I really like the resolution of the D800 but the 5D3 is fine too. I am slow to really like one camera over the other. By the way I think the 5D2 would be fine too (in terms of image quality) just now as good of a camera as the 5D3.

In these images are so many factors in play that it is hard to find a simple winner. I actually try to figure out whether we want a second D800 or if D800 + 5D2 is just fine for us two.

Note: The 5D3 is a Canon loaner and goes tomorrow.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>You can bet your life that if Uwe came to the UK he'd have the tact not to criticise the Olympics .

You just don't know me. I would not even vote for me :)

Thorkil

Uwe, nice picture from the RX100(!), by the way, is that your favorite pocket camera by now (just as it is for Michael Reichmann).
Thorkil

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The 5D3 + 70-200mm f/4 IS combo is so much lighter and better to handle handheld.
The 70-200 f/4 has been one of the best arguments for buying a Canon since that lens was launched. Why Nikon still don't have one is beyond me. I refuse to upgrade from my ancient 80-200 until they have one :lecture:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>The 70-200 f/4 has been one of the best arguments for buying a Canon

Actually the 70-200 f/4 IS (the 70-200 f/4 was great but missing IS).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>The 70-200 f/4 has been one of the best arguments for buying a Canon

Actually the 70-200 f/4 IS (the 70-200 f/4 was great but missing IS).
Uwe,

some questions I hope you will answer:

1) would you say that the Canon 4 70-200 IS is better than the 2.8 70-200 IS (latest version 2 I think)? Also how would you compare the Nikkor 2.8 70-200 VRII in that context?

2) Would you rate the AF of the 1D3 better, equal or worse than the AF of the D800?

3) You said you like shooting with the Canon combo more - what are the main reasons?

I am thinking of maybe investing in some selected C equipment as well, so this is why your findings would be very helpful for me. If you do not want to answer in this thread here (which I can understand), please send me private email.

Many thanks

Peter

ustein

Contributing Editor
>1) would you say that the Canon 4 70-200 IS is better than the 2.8 70-200 IS (latest version 2 I think)?

Photozone.de thinks the 70-200 f/2.8 IS II is slightly better. I want the smaller size.

>Also how would you compare the Nikkor 2.8 70-200 VRII in that context?

Cannot tell at this time.

>2) Would you rate the AF of the 1D3 better, equal or worse than the AF of the D800?

I think Canon focuses better on not so pronounced edges. But I am fine with both and hardly do action.

>3) You said you like shooting with the Canon combo more - what are the main reasons?

based on weight