The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 and green cast

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Scroll down to "White Balance" on this page, Nikon D800 and D800E User's Guide Ken Rockwell mentions theres a green bias in D800 images... and a possible quick fix... :)

Just to elaborate a bit on that camera setting possibility:

SHOOTING MENU >> White balance >> Direct sunlight (or Auto, or other selected WB) >> Adjust (right click) >> use the multi selector to adjust green/magenta and amber/blue bias in the color chart (for each WB setting separately!) >> OK >>

Dr. Rockwell suggests amber/blue bias = A3, and green/magenta bias = M1
A3 sounds a bit drastic, but worth an easy try.

It's in the manual on p. 149

Paul2660

Not to sound negative, but unless you only shooting jpgs why worry too much. Ken makes a point of stating that most of the shooting he is doing is jpg. With a raw file, you have so many options to fine tune the white balance after the shot. Even a green cast, red cast etc can be worked out easily in Capture One, LR or even Nikon's software. Ken also seems OK with making a critical WB decision off the LCD of the camera. I have never relied too heavy on the LCD of any digital camera. You have no idea where they are balanced and as far as I know there is no easy way to adjust them. I have noticed since I purchased the D800 that the greens seem too intense on the LCD, however the same raw files when loaded into LR or Capture One are more balanced. I thought that there was a hue adjustment on the D800's screen, but I have tried that.

Personally I would much rather have a color managed PC or Mac to be doing this type of work as you have a bit more computer to help with the decision.

It would be very easy to shoot a LCC with Capture one and then see how that comes out i.e. any casts showing. Capture One has the best system I have ever used for color casts as long as you remember to shoot a LCC. LCC's are not just for tech cameras anymore. I use them all them time with my tilt shift 35mm lenses.

Paul

I have both D800 and 5D MKII, I can actually obtain the same color with both using Color Checker profiles and white balance, not only WB with the checker card, you have to make your profiles. Maybe this is not very Scientific but for me it works.
I ran a profile for each type of lighting I run into, that is Studio Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and daylight. I know there are subtle differences but again, it works.
I then apply them in ACR or Lightroom which at the end are the same engines.
Sometimes I use Camera Standard from the drop down menu in ACR and it works better for daylight.
ACH