Site Sponsors

Thread: D800 and green cast

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

D800 and green cast

I've been shooting with the D800 and love the detail when shooting with strobes. However, when just casual shooting, there's a greenish cast on every image, and not just the LCD. White balance settings are where I want them, but still the strange color tones. I'm curious how others are adjusting white balance if you don't have a good reference (gray card/color checker).

Thanks for any input.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: D800 and green cast

Sounds strange what raw processor and I use a passport. Also you on AWB
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy-

Yes, AWB is set, but still the tones. I can move settings to achieve more realistic, ambient settings, but straight from the camera is never accurate. I've been converting from NX2 and into LR3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

How about posting links to some RAW file samples + your own processed results ?

Then we can post our processing results with different RAW converters.

There might be a conversion result you like.

- - - - -

Btw. what is you normal setting for >> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control ... ?

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing, is your monitor calibrated, just want to eliminate the possibilities!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try C1 and see if it's doing the same. It's a free download trial
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Steen, good idea, i'll try to post some later...

pophoto, good advice, but the monitior has recently been calibrated (eizo).

Guy, i'll try C1

Thanks to all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post
    How about posting links to some RAW file samples + your own processed results ?

Then we can post our processing results with different RAW converters.

There might be a conversion result you like.

- - - - -

Btw. what is you normal setting for >> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control ... ?

In shooting menu-(picture controls), is set to neutral. Interestingly, the only changes in any of these settings is the sharpening slider, everything is set to 0.

Shelby Lewis

Which program are you processing with? I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. The green tint is pervasive in my pre-processed shots as well, but even after neutralizing it, the color never seems right in LR.

Guy's C1 shots always seem to have much more neutral color, to my eyes at least.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I've been shooting with the D800 and love the detail when shooting with strobes. However, when just casual shooting, there's a greenish cast on every image, and not just the LCD. White balance settings are where I want them, but still the strange color tones. I'm curious how others are adjusting white balance if you don't have a good reference (gray card/color checker).

Thanks for any input.

richard.L

three views.. same image.

screencapture\ \\
    - C1
    - NX2
    - LR4
    Last edited by richard.L; 6th August 2012 at 08:14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Which program are you processing with? I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. The green tint is pervasive in my pre-processed shots as well, but even after neutralizing it, the color never seems right in LR.

Guy's C1 shots always seem to have much more neutral color, to my eyes at least.
    I'm finding C1 about the most neutral in color. Exactly what I want too since from there I can tweak what I want. Rather not correct at the start but make adjustments to what I like after I WB . Now I do not use AWB , I use daylight and tungsten settings depending on what I am shooting. Now AWB is from I hear very good on the D800 but like anything it can be fooled too. I stick with the known color temps and than go from there. That's me though , I trust very little in any auto mode. This cam behaves good though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post

In shooting menu-(picture controls), is set to neutral. Interestingly, the only changes in any of these settings is the sharpening slider, everything is set to 0.

Try using this camera setting
    >> SHOOTING MENU >> Set Picture Control >> Standard
    as your standard camera profile

- - - - -

and for those RAW files you have already captured you still have the choice to change from Neutral to Standard (or Landscape etc.) during processing in NX2 in this way (since you already have the NX2 software):
    >> Camera Settings (in the panel to the right) >> Picture Control >> Standard

I think you will find it makes a visible difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

When I sometimes want an even more warm (reddish) cast I choose:

>> Lightroom 4.1 >> Camera Calibration (in the right panel) >> Profile: >> Camera Standard

An upgrade to LR 4.1 probably would not be all that costly.

- - - - -

And then there's also Capture One Pro 6 free trial version as Guy has already mentioned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Regardless of brand of raw processors . One should shoot some test images with a Passport or similar color checker and run the files in the converters and see what works best for you. Sure it's some work but it will save long term issues.

I agree with Steen use Camera standard, I got weird color on camera neutral.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post

(...) I love lightroom 4, but have been unable to get d800 files to look good with it. (...)

Shelby, are you by any chance using
    >> Lightroom 4.1 >> Camera Calibration >> Profile: >> Adobe Standard

I would recommend you avoid Adobe Standard and instead use Camera Standard or one of the other specific Camera profiles as a starting point.
    It's the very first thing I tweak when using LR.
    (Otherwise try the Capture One Pro 6 free trial version as Guy recommends.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Generally bad color is why I do NOT use any version of LR -- if an image includes skin, I can almost always pick the LR conversions out immediately. I know you guys love it's cataloging feature, but for me the resultant IQ is all that counts. C1 consistently gives me excellent color accuracy and superior detail, and thus why I am as evangelical about my use of it as others are for LR...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

Jack, both you and Guy have showed us so many convincing examples on this so that I for one am actually sure you are totally right here.

But for some reason I have personally never really taken the time to become familiar with Capture One in depth though I have for many years used it now and then.

What is the best tutorial to learn it really well ?

Post Thanks / Like

Good feedback! I'll give C1 a go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Scroll down to "White Balance" on this page, Nikon D800 and D800E User's Guide Ken Rockwell mentions theres a green bias in D800 images... and a possible quick fix...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

What is the best tutorial to learn it really well ?
    Honestly, take one of our workshops! Since that's not feasible for everybody, there are also webinars hosted on occasion by both of our Phase dealer sponsors. Lastly, the Phase site itself has a lot of good info available on C1 techniques under the tutorials section: Capture One tutorials

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post

Honestly, take one of our workshops! (...)

... and can I pay for the workshop in Euro
    Last edited by Steen; 3rd August 2012 at 01:09.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 and green cast

Quote Originally Posted by waynelake View Post

Scroll down to "White Balance" on this page, Nikon D800 and D800E User's Guide Ken Rockwell mentions theres a green bias in D800 images... and a possible quick fix...

Just to elaborate a bit on that camera setting possibility:

SHOOTING MENU >> White balance >> Direct sunlight (or Auto, or other selected WB) >> Adjust (right click) >> use the multi selector to adjust green/magenta and amber/blue bias in the color chart (for each WB setting separately!) >> OK >>

Dr. Rockwell suggests amber/blue bias = A3, and green/magenta bias = M1
    A3 sounds a bit drastic, but worth an easy try.

It's in the manual on p. 149

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not to sound negative, but unless you only shooting jpgs why worry too much. Ken makes a point of stating that most of the shooting he is doing is jpg. With a raw file, you have so many options to fine tune the white balance after the shot. Even a green cast, red cast etc can be worked out easily in Capture One, LR or even Nikon's software. Ken also seems OK with making a critical WB decision off the LCD of the camera. I have never relied too heavy on the LCD of any digital camera. You have no idea where they are balanced and as far as I know there is no easy way to adjust them. I have noticed since I purchased the D800 that the greens seem too intense on the LCD, however the same raw files when loaded into LR or Capture One are more balanced. I thought that there was a hue adjustment on the D800's screen, but I have tried that.

Personally I would much rather have a color managed PC or Mac to be doing this type of work as you have a bit more computer to help with the decision.

It would be very easy to shoot a LCC with Capture one and then see how that comes out i.e. any casts showing. Capture One has the best system I have ever used for color casts as long as you remember to shoot a LCC. LCC's are not just for tech cameras anymore. I use them all them time with my tilt shift 35mm lenses.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I have both D800 and 5D MKII, I can actually obtain the same color with both using Color Checker profiles and white balance, not only WB with the checker card, you have to make your profiles. Maybe this is not very Scientific but for me it works.
    I ran a profile for each type of lighting I run into, that is Studio Flash, Tungsten, Fluorescent and daylight. I know there are subtle differences but again, it works.
    I then apply them in ACR or Lightroom which at the end are the same engines.
    Sometimes I use Camera Standard from the drop down menu in ACR and it works better for daylight.
    ACH