The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E vertical grip

I just received the 3rd party grip for the Nikon D800/E. The one I bought is the -Meike Vertical Battery Grip for Nikon D800- from Amazon. It was around $58.00. It came with the grip and regular rechargeable battery tray and the AA battery tray. Looks good and works fine so far. I haven't tested it against or even held the Nikon version. But I can't justify spending that much, when there's a similar version for $58...

danielmoore

How do you find the controls? Do they feel positive, iffy, overly/underly sensitive, etc. compared to the body controls?

They feel pretty much the same. I did compare it to the D7000's grip that I have, which is a Nikon branded one. The only difference is the multi selector. It doesn't really click like the Nikon one does. But it moves the AF point around just fine. I don't think that's a big deal, nor will it affect anything negatively. ALso, it seems the one that I bought doesn't have quite as much rubber on the back of it as the Nikon and Pixel($100) branded grips. I may buy the Pixel one for the extra rubber and because it looks to have the opening on the battery compartment door that allows you to hook the camera up to DC power. Here are some front and back pics of each of the grips.