Site Sponsors

Thread: D800 tethering cable?

CBronicki

D800 tethering cable?

Hi guys, this may sound like a silly question, but what cable do you use to tether a D800 with to a Macbook Pro?

It does not use a standard firewire cable and I don't recall my Nikon coming with a longer tethering cable of any sort.

Also, where can I buy the correct cable online (i'm in Australia and we seem to be late getting stuff).

Thanks.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Re: D800 tethering cable?

It does come with a cable: the camera end is flatish and crimped into two sections, the other end is USB, not firewire...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Take a look at this thread http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/...-tethered.html.

Maybe there is some information you can use if you need a longer cable than the one that comes with the camera.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    It does come with a cable: the camera end is flatish and crimped into two sections, the other end is USB, not firewire...
    That's a USB 3.0 cable. Both the D800/D800E and the MacBook Pro support USB 3.0 (but not FireWire).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

D800 tethering cable?

As a side note: Tim Ashley (yup, the above 'tashley') recently had this excellent blog post about tethering with Capture One Pro.

Tim Ashley Photography | Capture One tethering with D800

It may be the RAW converter you already use, or you may want to try it out for tethered shooting. Works really well.

CBronicki

Thanks guys. I know the cable you are referring to, I will get an extension lead for it.

And yes, I will be using Capture One Pro (latest version is half price this week only). Some people have mentioned issues with tethering D800's. I'll see how I go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by CBronicki View Post
    I know the cable you are referring to, I will get an extension lead for it.
    An extension lead is a bad idea. It would be better to buy a longer cable instead. Extension leads for cables carrying data at high speeds is not recommended.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    An extension lead is a bad idea. It would be better to buy a longer cable instead. Extension leads for cables carrying data at high speeds is not recommended.
    Seconded

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you're going to try it be sure it's a USB 3.0 active repeater type. I haven't got one to test with but I've tried USB 2 active repeaters and the connection was random.

Post Thanks / Like

Speak of tethering, the current USD 3 cables are all rather short, maxium length is around 3 meters and already hard to find - that is awfully short for fashion works. What I did was using a 1.5m USB3 connecting to a 5 meter USB2 repeater cable on my MBP with Retina Display and it works flawlessly with C1Pro until I upgrade to Snow Leopard, so I have to go back to use my 17" MBP, and it works well. Yes, the set up effectively made the connection becomes USB2 but I did not notice much difference of connecting short USB3 and USB3+USB2 repeater - probably the reason why Canon stays with USB2 on 5DIII.

Pingang

Quote Originally Posted by CBronicki View Post
    Hi guys, this may sound like a silly question, but what cable do you use to tether a D800 with to a Macbook Pro?

It does not use a standard firewire cable and I don't recall my Nikon coming with a longer tethering cable of any sort.

Also, where can I buy the correct cable online (i'm in Australia and we seem to be late getting stuff).

Thanks.
    Chris