The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 & D800E + Leica R

Alon

Not Available
Phewww! You guys have been busy dissecting the D800/E and I had to read back to Feb!

While by and large I agree with what has been said about the minute difference between the D800 and the D800E.
My personal experience is that both cameras are contrast and ISO savvy.
Both cameras seems to meet at the same level with stopped down apertures.

Lots has been posted with the D800/E and Nikkor - Zeiss glass.
So I will not bother with Nikkor or Zeiss or other for the moment.

Maybe it is time now to start posting Leica R glass.

All shots are either with the D800 or D800E.
All Cameras are on bottom settings e.g. Neutral - No D....etc
All shots processed in C1
All Leica R glass with Leitax mounts (no mirror/mounts shaving)
All Leica R glass starts at 28mm up to 280mm with the top range of R versions.
All shots wide open (unless indicated differently)
EXIF is present in some and not all images.

I will let you draw your own conclusions as to the value of Leica R glass on the D800/E.

1- Leica R Elmarit 28/2.8 V II (E55)

100% Crops

danielmoore

That's not exactly fair. You could shoot that with a cell phone and I'd still be blown away. : ) Looks like Tim Burton drank a pitcher of Kool-Aid and ran a couple laps around the large hadron collider before erupting.

Alon

Not Available
That's not exactly fair. You could shoot that with a cell phone and I'd still be blown away. : ) Looks like Tim Burton drank a pitcher of Kool-Aid and ran a couple laps around the large hadron collider before erupting.
Oooh, poor, poor Elmarit 28/2.8, now sulking in her corner as compared to a cell phone capture.

Elmarit says: Can your cell phone do that?

ISO1000 - 1/100s - f2.8

Thorkil

That certainly looks splendid Alon! and certainly has more to offer the eye than the Nikkor-glass.
Thorkil

Paratom

looks very nice. I have a 100 Leica Macro with Leitax.
How easy/difficult do you find manual focus?
One of the reasons for me to get Nikon system has been the great fast and accurate AF. (I still have my D700 no D800)

Alon

Not Available
Thorkil: Yes, that's what so far is my experience.
The Leica R glass trounces Nikkor and Zeiss on the D800/E.

Paratom: Thank you.
Which 100 Macro? Do you mean the APO Macro Elmarit 100/2.8 or the Macro-Elmar 100/4?
I do not possess the Macro-Elmar 100/4 but do have the APO Macro Elmarit 100/2.8.

The APO Elmarit 100 has a long focus throw which is very helpful when doing Macro and fine tuning focus.

I am quite comfortable with Manual Focus and actually prefer to use Manual Focus when shooting until my eye sight gets tired or the shoot becomes routine.

Although I also have the dedicated Macro attachment Elpro - 16545 which gives a 1:1 Macro, however I am not a Macro shooter and rarely use the combination.

My previous non scientific tests on the D3s in Macro mode, showed the Leica R APO Macro Elmarit 100/2.8 well above heads and shoulders of the Zeiss ZF2 100/2 and the Voigtlander 125/2.5.
(I could re-publish the test on a separate thread if anyone is interested hopefully without the flaming associated with the Zeiss and Voigtlander fans club!)

The only comment I have on the APO 100 is it is a heavy lens used on the D3x/s but I suppose more manageable on the D800/E.

I did not yet try the APO 100 on any of the D800/E yet, and I plan to get there in sequence as already started with the 28mm up to the 280mm.

It goes without saying that all my Nikon bodies carry the DK-17M coupled with the DK-19.

craigrudlin

Hi

Beautiful images! I appreciate the difference the leica glass provides
and am considering obtaining some for my D800E.

Did you install the Leitax mounts yourself, and if so, how difficult was
the process?

Please tell us more about the differences in the two 100 macros.

THANKS
craig

Thorkil

Alon, about going to sell my D800E, scaling down, GXR+GRDIV. But looking at yours pics, one might reconsider. Were else reliefed with the thought of going simple, thinking of my most happy days, photo-wise, the M6.
R-lenses wouldn't cure the bulk, but that Ducati just sparkles(!)+ that rather good 3-dimension, so did a R-19 Elmarit, shaved, on the 800E.
More pic's, thanks.
Thorkil

Alon

Not Available
Hi

Beautiful images! I appreciate the difference the leica glass provides
and am considering obtaining some for my D800E.

Did you install the Leitax mounts yourself, and if so, how difficult was
the process?

Please tell us more about the differences in the two 100 macros.

THANKS
craig
Craig, Thank you.

1- Frankly and pending testing more Leica R lenses, it seems the Leica R glass and the D800/E is a marriage made in heaven.
Maybe other users would like to chime in?

2- Yes, I did install the Leitax mounts myself and although it seems daunting at first but if you follow David.L (Leitax) very clear instructions and use the correct tools then it is a piece of cake....and some sweating.

3- I do not have the Macro-Elmar 100/4 hence cannot comment on the difference between the two Macros.
If my memory is correct, I chose not to get the Macro-Elmar 100/4 as the APO Macro Elmarit 100/2.8 is a better lens. But I do not remember the rationale at that time!

Alon

Not Available
Alon, about going to sell my D800E, scaling down, GXR+GRDIV. But looking at yours pics, one might reconsider. Were else reliefed with the thought of going simple, thinking of my most happy days, photo-wise, the M6.
R-lenses wouldn't cure the bulk, but that Ducati just sparkles(!)+ that rather good 3-dimension, so did a R-19 Elmarit, shaved, on the 800E.
More pic's, thanks.
Thorkil
I think you should hold on to your D800E for a little while until you see more images with Leica R glass as possibly you might have a change of heart....or a change of banker as the best is yet to come!

You are correct that it would not cure the bulk but beauty has a price.

And here are more Leica R Elmarit 28/2.8 V II (E55) images for you:

Thorkil

Thank you so much Alon,
specially those fish + that shark tells me something.
I might reconsider, on the other hand I'll have to to some further investments, and my account would have appreciated selling the E + the 14-24. Therefore I have turned into a "family" in Denmark to give it a try looking for R-lenses, just to see if I can get some at human prices.
Else I was just about growing liking the down-scaling idea, in fact it has dominated my mind the last days, a sort of pleasant "anti" feeling, and yesterday i was pleased to put my belowed 21 M-Elmarit(served me happy severel years as the-only-lens on the M6 who went everywhere) on a new GXR-M-module after at least 10 years rest at the shelf, wonderfull, and I found out that I might easily be living with just and only that M-Module+Elmarit21 + a GRDIV, and nothing else.
We are overloaded with gear. In good old days even photografers could do outstanding pictures with limited gear. They just knew their limitations and handled their life out from that given circumstances. And they might have catched up with a simplyer and more happy life and profession perhaps. Who knows, but I do suspect.
Thorkil

Last edited:

Alon

Not Available
Yes, you are right. We are overloaded with gear and there is no better than a single focal length as a comfort lens.

My problem is that all my lenses are comfort lenses and I do sometime forget taking pictures and just playing with gear.

All good fun.

Thorkil

Yes, I'm just sort of obsessed these days that simplicity will be the golden answer for most people, though I'm naturally only able to speak for myself.
The 21 hung on the M6 all the time allthough, I also got 50 and 90 summicron, but never used them. I guess that things are different when you are pro, don't know. But the result is that one never bother in what lens should be best here and there, distracting thoughts, you havn't got a choise so you just choose your motiv, and some pictures you don't get, but then you got others, and somehow you might get better pictures not thinking of choises, but just use your energi to get the best out of what is available in your hand.
Can see your problem, and your last pictures are splendid(apart from the scene/motiv :p) are clear, sharp and welldefined. But you might just choose just one lens, create a friendly connection with it, and go out hunting (for just half a year:)
Thorkil

Thorkil

ps. I would choose the 28 (force you to getting a little closer) and the wide-drawing I would like, and that Ducati picture speek for itself......:)
thorkil

Thorkil

Hi Alon, I think I'll let the 800E go. But even though it would be nice to see some more 28-R'ones, if you have done any lately.
I do think its the R's that make the 800 shine that bit, that lift it over the average.
Best
Thorkil