The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 14-24 on D800

pesto

Has anyone here had any experience with the 14-24 on a D800/800e body?
I am wondering how well this lens will hold up given the higher resolution of these cameras.

Well I'm using it. It's a bit of a dilemma. It's good but not outstanding.
It's better used with manual focus on live view and checking the borders of your image. Here is where most of the problems seems to show.
What you need to do is to balance the focus from center to borders and then stop down to 8, 11.
Why I bought this lens instead of a Zeiss 21 or Nikon 24 PC. The Zeiss is a great lens but I need more flexibility for architecturals. Why not the 24 PC? Because coming from Canon and having the 24 PC-E II ,the nikon is not up to the task.
So I opted for this lens that if you are careful with focusing you get pretty decent shots.
Hope this help. If you need some NEF file I could send it to you.
ACH

stngoldberg

I sold my 14-24mm lens because it was not sharp along the edges and replaced it with Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Super Wide Angle Zoom Nikkor Lens . I find the 17-35 much sharper on the edges closed down to f4.

Stanley

pesto

Thank you, Antonio, for your thoughtful answer...this is in line with what I suspected.

Regards,

Douglas Benson.

pesto

I sold my 14-24mm lens because it was not sharp along the edges and replaced it with Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Super Wide Angle Zoom Nikkor Lens . I find the 17-35 much sharper on the edges closed down to f4.

Stanley
Stanley,thank you as well...it appears that the 14-24 is not faring all that well

Paul2660

I feel that the 14-24 can produce excellent images on the D800.

The 14-24 is not going to be very good in the F2.8 to F 4 range in the lower corners, but I felt it was still very good at infinity. From F5.6 to F7.1 the lower corners start to get usable and then from F8 to F11 outstanding. The hyperfocal at F8 appears to be around 10 feet to infinity. (my infinity distance was approx 400 yards away, ranging to just over 10 feet). I had hoped that the 14-24 would hold the lower corners in the F2.8 to F3.5 range for night work, when at infinity, but it's just not possible. For that matter I have only found one lens from Nikon or any others that really looks that good at F2.8 to F3.5 in the extreme corners on a D800. This would be the 24mm 1.4 as it can do OK, but still not to the level I had hoped for.

The Zeiss 21mm I worked with out performed the 14-24 in the extreme upper corners at 21mm but the out performance was not enough that I wanted to run out and get in line for the Zeiss. The same Zeiss 21mm was not that good in the lower corners at infinity until at least F10. For me CA on both lenses was about the same depending on the lighting. The amount of CA on the Zeiss was a bit of a surprise, but both lenses correct in LR very easily. (Still mainly using LR for D800 stuff).

Net to me, the 14-24 can produce some amazingly detailed, sharp images if you use it in aperture ranges that it seems to prefer. Color and contrast look very good. I would try one. It seems that with all lenses there is sample variation and I settled on the 3rd 14-24 I used.

My only issues, it's big and heavy and the Zeiss is much smaller and lighter, but it gives you 14mm which I love to use. Filters are cumbersome but there are workable solutions for both ND and CLPL. Flare can be a real issue also.

I hope to show some pics soon but right now I can barely get to the internet as I took a hard lightening hit to my studio. Sitll working to bring up all my machines and see if I have any data at all. Hope to show so examples later, however I am not a big fan of images downrezed for the internet and would prefer to show a full size 100% image, which is not possible via a link, but I hope to post some shots in my Dropbox public folder later.

Everyone's mileage will vary.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Paul hope all is well in the studio. I did email you back not sure you got it but get back to healthy machines and property.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
As far as the 14-24 I agree with Paul expect to use good apertures to get better results f8 seemed to work pretty good for me.