Site Sponsors

Thread: Suggestions for best lenses for use with 800E

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Suggestions for best lenses for use with 800E

As a newbie to Nikon after 30+ years, I'm awaiting an 800E. I have the latest 70-200 VR and want to know if the latest 24-70 is a good lens on the short end?

Also what about teleconverters for the 70-200. Any experience from members using the 1.4 or 2.0 with the 70-200?

I see the 200-400 is mighty pricey, so wonder of anyone has actually used it? Is a fixed 300 or 400 better to get?

I will using these long lenses mostly for wildlife shooting.

Last question--What is the best macro lens to consider for the 800E? Thanks all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Suggestions for best lenses for use with 800E

Quote Originally Posted by algrove View Post
    As a newbie to Nikon after 30+ years, I'm awaiting an 800E. I have the latest 70-200 VR and want to know if the latest 24-70 is a good lens on the short end?

Also what about teleconverters for the 70-200. Any experience from members using the 1.4 or 2.0 with the 70-200?

I see the 200-400 is mighty pricey, so wonder of anyone has actually used it? Is a fixed 300 or 400 better to get?

Last question--What is the best macro lens to consider for the 800E? Thanks all.
    I tried two copies of the 24-70, really didn't think it did to well. I settled on 35mm and 50 zeiss, still debating on which Zeiss for the wide end but thinking of the 21 right now.

I think the 50 and 100mm Zeiss might be the best macros, I have both and haven't had a chance to do more than preliminary testing ... both appear to be very good. the 70-200 is decent, my copy is OK. That 200-400 is a great focal length range for wildlife, but pricey and I don't know how well it holds up to the sensor ... I'm going to opt for a fixed 300, haven't decided which one yet.

I also bought the 14-24 and like it. It has some issues but is a sweet lens and on my NEX 7 (best Nikon backup body imho) with the cropped sensor its great.
    wayne
    My gallery
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I tried two copies of the 24-70, really didn't think it did to well. I settled on 35mm and 50 zeiss, still debating on which Zeiss for the wide end but thinking of the 21 right now.

I think the 50 and 100mm Zeiss might be the best macros, I have both and haven't had a chance to do more than preliminary testing ... both appear to be very good. the 70-200 is decent, my copy is OK. That 200-400 is a great focal length range for wildlife, but pricey and I don't know how well it holds up to the sensor ... I'm going to opt for a fixed 300, haven't decided which one yet.

I also bought the 14-24 and like it. It has some issues but is a sweet lens and on my NEX 7 (best Nikon backup body imho) with the cropped sensor its great.
    I was planning on aligning each lens if I discover issues. Did you try that with the 24-70 copies you were not too keen about?

Also would you use the 300 with a 1.4 or 2.0 teleconverter?
    Last edited by algrove; 16th August 2012 at 06:13.

Post Thanks / Like

I chose the new 24-85 which has some distortion at both ends but is pretty sharp as well as smaller and lighter than the 24-70/2.8.

It seems to me that Nikon have always struggled to produce a truly satisfactory mid-range zoom, but the 24-70/2.8 aopears to be close enough if the weight/bulk isn't an issue.

Post Thanks / Like

My 24-70 is very sharp. Had to send it in twice to get roughness fixed in the zoom ring, but now it's perfect (first time they just lubed it, second time they replaced a couple of parts). It needed -9 adjustment for autofocus. It exhibits a slight case of the left side AF issue at 24mm. I almost never use AF.

The only optical problem I find is a moderate amount of field curvature at 24-28mm. I'm photographing the insides of industrial spaces right now, so if anything this is an advantage. But for some kinds of work you might not be happy with the corners on the wide end.

In other lens news, I'm having a blast with the 50mm 1.8g. Way better than my old AIS 50.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have chosen the Nikon 14-25, 24 1.4g, 35 1.4g, 50 1.4g, 85 1.4g and zeiss 1002 makro and am very pleased with all of them. Eleanor
    Eleanor Brown
    http://www.eleanorbrown.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've used the TC1.4-II and TC2.0-III with the 70-200mm VRII. The 1.4 works very well and the TC2 gives acceptable results though some loss of resolution is observable. I've also used the TC1.7-II but don't like the results with this TC - I rarely use it now on any of my lenses.

For macros I use the 105mm ED-IF VR and am very happy with it - the IF feature is quite nice in a macro.

Cheers,
    -- Joe

http://mountainjoe.zenfolio.com/ - excuse the mess

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At the moment and may change. Zeiss 18, 25f2 waiting on delivery. Nikon 35 1.4g , 50 1.8 G, 85 1.4 G and the 200 f2 VR1 with the 1.4 tele.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy have you shot your zeiss 18 yet?

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes . I do like the Z 18. I like the focal length a lot . I need to get out and shoot with it more and next week I'll get that chance too freaking hot here right now. But here are a few test images corrected with PT lens for distortion. F8 and F11 here with really early light with a load of contrast. I test ugly as I want to see the limits. LOL

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Its pretty sharp. I give this lens a little extra sharpening but was pretty equal to the 24mm. But I just bought a Z 25 F2 and want to see how that is also. I may eventually get the Z 15mm at some point. Im trying to reinvent my kit into a 2 different lens kits . One for commercial work and one for landscape type stuff. I'm still working on lenses and whats next just waiting to see what is announced if any before getting more. Given the pricing i can play quite a bit with Nikon/Zeiss stuff until I get what I want or have enough to fill the safe. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Can we assume that for wildlife you are primarily concerned about resolution and micro contrast in the middle and edges aren t critical unless they are mushy?

The 70-200/2.8 Vr2 is an exceptional lens more so if you can stop down to f4-f8 . In that range you should be quite happy . Adding the 2x reduces both resolution and contrast , adds 2 stops without changing DOF and slows AF . If you have adequate light to shoot at F5.6 (that T11 or worse) you will get decent but not great results . The new 3rd version of the 2x extender is a major improvement as was the 70-200/2.8 but its still an extender on a zoom lens.

The 200-400/4 is really a sports shooter lens ...its optimized for near and middle distances and not nearly as good out near infinity . Very nice when you have to shoot from a fixed position and can get fairly close (not sure if your wildlife fits that category ). Its much better stopped down 1/2 stop or more .

Neither of these lenses are as good as the 200/2;300/2.8;400/2.8 each of which can be shot wide open and pair well with any of the extenders .

The issues are that the long primes are very heavy and also very expensive .
    Roger Dunham
    http://rogerdunham.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I was planning on aligning each lens if I discover issues. Did you try that with the 24-70 copies you were not too keen about?
    Yes, both were calibrated with FoCal. The lens just struggled to get sharp on one side even at f/8. I almost bought it anyway, but then opted for the Zeiss primes in the main focal lengths.

After seeing Guys post I may go for the Zeiss 18, I need to test my 14-24 a little more. (the 14-24 is sharper at 24 than the 24-70 was).
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 24 on the 14-24 is really good. My basic issue with it was a tank but it also focus shifted as well. I'm trying the Zeiss 25f2 now be here tomorrow. I'll post some stuff on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Wayne get PT lens plug in for the 18 works nice and fast

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for 16-35mm f4 VR, as I heard from 21mm this lens do not have any distortion. It accept filters, having VR, and very sharp. (from reviews. I have not seen this lens). Right now I have only two lenses 50mm 1.8D and 105mmG VR. 50mm is very good. I am worried about corners of 105mm macro lens. I found it very soft. I had a fashion shoot for a textile shop yesterday and could not get edge to edge sharpness in the pictures. centre area was sharp but corners were soft. Then I shot with 50mm and it was pretty good. I am planning to buy 85mm f1.8 lens, which is sharp even at the corners than 85mm f1.4 and 105mmG VR. (mansurovs.com/nikon-85mm-f1-8g-review)

Post Thanks / Like

1 lens : 24-70/2.8
    2 lenses : 24-70/2.8 , 100/2.8 VR Makro
    3 lenses : 24-70/2.8 , 100/2.8 VR Makro, 70-200/2.8 VR
    4 lenses : 24-70/2.8 , 100/2.8 VR Makro, 70-200/2.8 VR, 12-24/2.8

the list can go on but the most basic stays. Not that I don't love primes, I have a lot of primes of 20 years collection and use them often in studio each for specific works. But minimize to 1, to 2 to 3, the choice is obvious.
    I have known Steve McCurry for years, never once saw him took the 24-70/2.8 off his D3X - NEVER! All his works in recent years except those from Hasselblad are coming from one lens only!
    One can train the lens to do a lot more thing, yes, we can always talk about the absolute sharpness - but what about the meaning of image, concpet, the purpose?
    Sorry, try not to act as salesman.

BR,
    Pingang

CBronicki

I love the Nikon 85mm 1.8. Pin sharp!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All your comments have been most appreciated. Now that I am confused, I guess it's a 300 or 400 (yikes the prices!) fixed seem to be the best. I will also want to occasionally use a 1.4, but probably not a 2.0 converter.

I had hoped for the 200-400, but since it appears to be profiled as a sports zoom that's not for me.

I have the 70-200 and 24-70. Got the later just to fill that gap on the wide end. I want to stay around f2.8 so that mena san expensive long lens.

Any more in sites? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I'm expanding my lens line up for my D800.

My question is: which lens to get for available light/candid work? 180/2.8 or 135/2DC?

Putting aside the differences in price and the fact that the 180 is a 2.8 max aperture and the 135 is a f2. Also the DC feature on the 135 is not particularly relevant to me (although I might end up liking it!).

I want a lens in the 135-200mm range that I can confidently use wide open for stuff like candid shots at a wedding, theater/concert photography, etc, and think the 180/2.8 is most likely the best option but am also drawn to the 135/2.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,
    Any experience with Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD with D800E? I am thinking about this lens but no Idea about the quality about this. Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oamkumar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All your comments have been most appreciated. Now that I am confused, I guess it's a 300 or 400 (yikes the prices!) fixed seem to be the best. I will also want to occasionally use a 1.4, but probably not a 2.0 converter.

I had hoped for the 200-400, but since it appears to be profiled as a sports zoom that's not for me.

I have the 70-200 and 24-70. Got the later just to fill that gap on the wide end. I want to stay around f2.8 so that mena san expensive long lens.

Any more in sites? Thanks
    The 200-400mm is a spectacular lens for any purpose. It is very sharp and stays sharp with the 1.4 attached-the profile you refer to is irrelevant.

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    The 200-400mm is a spectacular lens for any purpose. It is very sharp and stays sharp with the 1.4 attached-the profile you refer to is irrelevant.

Stanley
    Geez Stanley ..irrelevant ? When ever i acquire a new lens I spend time to both test the lens and to read as many test reports as I can . If the reports highlight a weakness then I look for it in my tests . Some are relevant to what I shoot and others are not . In many cases the differences between current Nikkors are small enough to matter only in extreme conditions (as in using a 2x extender ) .

I have and use all the lenses in question..the 3 zooms 24-70/2.8,70-200/2.8VR2 and the 200-400/4 VR plus the 200,300,400and 600 prime lenses . It is not uncommon for zoom lenses to be sharper at the shorter focal lengths ..you can see this in any test . It is also not unusual for the zoom lenses to be optimized for near to mid distances .

This does not mean that the lens isn t any good or should never be used at infinity or at the long end of the range . (some are actually better at the long end it depends on the design). Extenders are by their nature a compromise ...some have been almost perfectly matched to specific prime lenses and result in minimal loss of IQ.

From this post we have inadequate information from the OP to really get the recommendations perfect and good enough is in the eye of the beholder . But relative comparisons are easy .

My experience is as follows and I believe its consistent with most test reports .

1. The 200-400/4 is weakest at 400mm and infinity . It is noticeably inferior to the 400/2.8 VR lens in any measure of IQ . This does not mean its a bad lens ..its just not the best.

2. The 70-200/2.8 VR is a superb lens ..but again better at focal lengths short of 200.

3. Neither lens is near its best when using any of the extenders . You can of course stop down 2 stops and get acceptable results but then you are shooting at T11 or T16 with F5.6 /F8 DOF . So you will give back IQ by going to a higher ISO .

However the most important unanswered question is are you really sure you want to try a long telephoto on a D800E ...at near 40Mp you will need peerless technique to avoid visible camera or subject motion . For anything that might move you will have a devil of a time getting the subject in focus .

So let me summarize ... a 200-400/4 Af and 2x extender on a D800E is probably not a good match.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Geez Stanley ..irrelevant ? When ever i acquire a new lens I spend time to both test the lens and to read as many test reports as I can . If the reports highlight a weakness then I look for it in my tests . Some are relevant to what I shoot and others are not . In many cases the differences between current Nikkors are small enough to matter only in extreme conditions (as in using a 2x extender ) .

I have and use all the lenses in question..the 3 zooms 24-70/2.8,70-200/2.8VR2 and the 200-400/4 VR plus the 200,300,400and 600 prime lenses . It is not uncommon for zoom lenses to be sharper at the shorter focal lengths ..you can see this in any test . It is also not unusual for the zoom lenses to be optimized for near to mid distances .

This does not mean that the lens isn t any good or should never be used at infinity or at the long end of the range . (some are actually better at the long end it depends on the design). Extenders are by their nature a compromise ...some have been almost perfectly matched to specific prime lenses and result in minimal loss of IQ.

From this post we have inadequate information from the OP to really get the recommendations perfect and good enough is in the eye of the beholder . But relative comparisons are easy .

My experience is as follows and I believe its consistent with most test reports .

1. The 200-400/4 is weakest at 400mm and infinity . It is noticeably inferior to the 400/2.8 VR lens in any measure of IQ . This does not mean its a bad lens ..its just not the best.

2. The 70-200/2.8 VR is a superb lens ..but again better at focal lengths short of 200.

3. Neither lens is near its best when using any of the extenders . You can of course stop down 2 stops and get acceptable results but then you are shooting at T11 or T16 with F5.6 /F8 DOF . So you will give back IQ by going to a higher ISO .

However the most important unanswered question is are you really sure you want to try a long telephoto on a D800E ...at near 40Mp you will need peerless technique to avoid visible camera or subject motion . For anything that might move you will have a devil of a time getting the subject in focus .

So let me summarize ... a 200-400/4 Af and 2x extender on a D800E is probably not a good match.
    I have no desire to have an argument over the value of a 200-400 lens. I have used it extensively (recently for three days at Nickerson Beach and Jamaica Wildlife Refuge shooting shore birds in flight). I raised the ISO to a level which allowed me sufficient shutter speed to obtain images that we sharp and did not exhibit ANY camera motion or subject motion.
    I have used the 400mm VR and agree it is a superb lens and perhaps it is sharper than the 200-400mm lens at the long end-but when I printed comparative images at 24x36 inches, I could not see the difference.
    I agree with you regarding the 2X extender, but the 2x extender deteriorates my images on my 500mm lens as well as my 600mm lens both of which are awesome lenses

Stanley

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post

Interesting - I tried today the Sigma APO 120-400, hand held, all images at 400 were just tack sharp :-) Also I would say at 120 it is even much better.

Does this lens for a price around $800.- hold up against the 200-400? Hmmm - I think the IQ differences are pretty small and given the huge price difference for me this is a no brainer.

But you need to use lens profiles - e.g. in LR. And then you also can easily remove and remaining CA.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stngoldberg View Post
    I have no desire to have an argument over the value of a 200-400 lens. I have used it extensively (recently for three days at Nickerson Beach and Jamaica Wildlife Refuge shooting shore birds in flight). I raised the ISO to a level which allowed me sufficient shutter speed to obtain images that we sharp and did not exhibit ANY camera motion or subject motion.
    I have used the 400mm VR and agree it is a superb lens and perhaps it is sharper than the 200-400mm lens at the long end-but when I printed comparative images at 24x36 inches, I could not see the difference.
    I agree with you regarding the 2X extender, but the 2x extender deteriorates my images on my 500mm lens as well as my 600mm lens both of which are awesome lenses

Stanley
    Ok .....avoiding arguments generally works best when you don t label others points of view as “irrelevant “ . Keep in mind I never said the 200-400 was a Coke bottle but rather that in my experience it was much sharper in the middle distances than at infinity . Shooting surfing I noticed this and verified my feelings with a number of tests and sports shooting evaluations . Just my experience as you have given yours .

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oamkumar View Post
    Hi,
    Any experience with Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD with D800E? I am thinking about this lens but no Idea about the quality about this. Please help.
    Thanks in advance.
    Oamkumar
    Hi Oamkumar,

Prior to the D800/e, I tested 9 recent samples (store was going out of business) of this Tamron to come up with the best possible one. Tests were initially performed on a 12MP NIkon body. Six of them were clearly subpar in a number of areas, one was passable (decent) and of the two remaining ones which were excellent and extremely close in performance, I purchased one. When the D800/e was first released, I tested this copy on it. Like many excellent lenses which perform superbly on 12 MP bodies, the demands of the 36MP sensor of the D800/e often reveals some of the weaknesses of these lenses, especially on the sides and corners. This is not exclusely a property of the Tamron, as many other fine Nikon's on 12MP bodies, also struggled on the D800/e.

This Tamron sample did well on the D800/e. Corners at 28mm were weaker than the rest of the frame, but it didn't take too much stopping down at this focal length to correct this. The rest of the focal lengths performed quite well. The lens in general is not the pinicle of performance as compared to some superb single focal length lenses between 28 and 75mm when used on the D800/e, but as a travel lens that one also wants to have performing at a reasonably high level and take advnatage of the 36MP body, a good sample of this Tamron can fit the bill....provided you find a good sample.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE=stngoldberg;448198]I have no desire to have an argument over the value of a 200-400 lens. I have used it extensively (recently for three days at Nickerson Beach and Jamaica Wildlife Refuge shooting shore birds in flight). I raised the ISO to a level which allowed me sufficient shutter speed to obtain images that we sharp and did not exhibit ANY camera motion or subject motion.

Stanley[/QUOTE]

I cannot adaquately comment with regards to the use of these lenses and teleconverters on the D800/e (although I have tested some of them on that body), but can quickly summerize my findings with regards to their use on a 12MP body such as the D3s. I've posted many of my observations extensively on older posts here on GEtdpi, so I'll be extremely brief here.

The 200-400 can be an excellent lens, especially used in it's native form (no teleconverters). It's of course strongest at 200-300mm, but still very good-excellent at 400mm as long as subject distance is somewhere between close range and mid-distance. Sharpness can often deteriorate at the longer distances, especially towards infinity.

What is acceptable to one shooter may not be to another and this has to be kept in mind. I've found that use of any teleconverter with this lens was unsatisfactory for my purposes. It could be used in a pinch, maybe at 200-300mm at short subject distances, but even then I was not pleased with the results. Needless to say, the latest Nikon 2x was a "no-go" with this lens (manual focus of not).

I found the 1.4x superb with most of the Nikon single focal length super telephoto's, starting with the 200 f2 on up except for the 500 f4. It did alright some of the time with the 500 f4 but not always and it wasn't due to tripod support or technique. I often tested this combination but results were not always consistant. On two occasions I used the 1.4x with the 600 f4 it was difficult to get the kind of images and quality I expected but I did with a moderate degree of regularity. This may have been more due to technique than anything else, hard for me to say..but I always felt the 1.4x worked better with the 600 f4 than the 500 f4.

The 1.4x could even be used on the 70-200 f2.8 if one would accept a often times notcable decrease in performance, to a degree.

With regards to use of the latest Nikon 2x, I found it did unexpectedly well (especially when all other shooting parameters were optimal), with the 200 f2 and 300 f2.8, moderately to fairly good with 400 f2.8. I'll reserve comments regarding the 2x with the 600 f4 as I often struggled with the 1.4x on that lens.

My comments are not meant to be comprehesive nor detailed...just an overview. My own personal requirements for sharpness from these lenses and teleconverters are dependent on image output to large format prints. for the most part. Everyones expectations/requirements and what they may observe can certainly be different. It also greatly depends how such lenses/teleconverters are used and the shooting techniques employed. Opionions often vary greatly.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 5th September 2012 at 13:44.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    QUOTE=stngoldberg;448198]I have no desire to have an argument over the value of a 200-400 lens. I have used it extensively (recently for three days at Nickerson Beach and Jamaica Wildlife Refuge shooting shore birds in flight). I raised the ISO to a level which allowed me sufficient shutter speed to obtain images that we sharp and did not exhibit ANY camera motion or subject motion.

Stanley
    I cannot adaquately comment with regards to the use of these lenses and teleconverters on the D800/e (although I have tested some of them on that body), but can quickly summerize my findings with regards to their use on a 12MP body such as the D3s. I've posted many of my observations extensively on older posts here on GEtdpi, so I'll be extremely brief here.

The 200-400 can be an excellent lens, especially used in it's native form (no teleconverters). It's of course strongest at 200-300mm, but still very good-excellent at 400mm as long as subject distance is somewhere between close range and mid-distance. Sharpness can often deteriorate at the longer distances, especially towards infinity.

What is acceptable to one shooter may not be to another and this has to be kept in mind. I've found that use of any teleconverter with this lens was unsatisfactory for my purposes. It could be used in a pinch, maybe at 200-300mm at short subject distances, but even then I was not pleased with the results. Needless to say, the latest Nikon 2x was a "no-go" with this lens (manual focus of not).

I found the 1.4x superb with most of the Nikon single focal length super telephoto's, starting with the 200 f2 on up except for the 500 f4. It did alright some of the time with the 500 f4 but not always and it wasn't due to tripod support or technique. I often tested this combination but results were not always consistant. On two occasions I used the 1.4x with the 600 f4 it was difficult to get the kind of images and quality I expected but I did with a moderate degree of regularity. This may have been more due to technique than anything else, hard for me to say..but I always felt the 1.4x worked better with the 600 f4 than the 500 f4.

The 1.4x could even be used on the 70-200 f2.8 if one would accept a often times notcable decrease in performance, to a degree.

With regards to use of the latest Nikon 2x, I found it did unexpectedly well (especially when all other shooting parameters were optimal), with the 200 f2 and 300 f2.8, moderately to fairly good with 400 f2.8. I'll reserve comments regarding the 2x with the 600 f4 as I often struggled with the 1.4x on that lens.

My comments are not meant to be comprehesive nor detailed...just an overview. My own personal requirements for sharpness from these lenses and teleconverters are dependent on image output to large format prints. for the most part. Everyones expectations/requirements and what they may observe can certainly be different. It also greatly depends how such lenses/teleconverters are used and the shooting techniques employed. Opionions often vary greatly.

Dave (D&A)[/QUOTE]
    Both of these images were shot with the 200-400mm lens with the 1.4 extender attached-they appear real sharp to me-both were at 550mm-I rest my case

Stanley
    Last edited by stngoldberg; 5th September 2012 at 14:29. Reason: more information

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Stanley,

Without actually having the pre adjusted RAW files of your two bird shots in hand, it's hard for me to accurately assess them, regardless how sharp they look at screen resolution. I'm not saying the 200-400 with 1.4x isn't capable of sharp shots...but generally I and others have found it's inconsistant and often not nearly sharp enough. Certainly not for my particualar applications. This is especially so when the 1.4x and 200-400 is used at the 400mm setting and at subject distances greater than close to mid distance range. Towards infinity subject distances, the lens is optically its weakest and with the 1.4x, it simply compounds things. Just a guess, but it looks like your birds were somewhat closer to mid distance range lens as opposed to infinity.

Again after the multitude of real world and test shots with this combination over an extremely long period of time, I felt it resulted in subpar results for my use. Other professionals I often work with also came to the same conclusion. Thats not saying this combination isn't used successfully by some. It all depends on their expectations and applications and also how much they can rely on the consistancy of this combination. So in my opinion it goes well beyond the statement of "I rest my case"...but alternatively its about whether their use together is acceptable or not to a given shooter. In my case it's not, at least not in the majority of the shooting circumstances I've tried it with.

*** Stanley, just a side note. In your post above, the way your quoted and then presented txt...it appears the quote at the top of your post is mine (it's not, its your quote) and the body of the txt looks like it came from you (it didn't...virtually all of it is my own words!). You might want to look at other GEtdpi posts to see how quotes that quote from other people's previous postings show up in "gray color" and then thetxt underneith the quote should be yours in black with white txt. In the case above, it came out the reverse!! Otherwise it looks like the body of your most recent post above this one is mostly words coming from you, when in actuality its my original posting (words)...and it then ends up looking like I posted twice. Just suggesting this to avoid readers being confused.***

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 5th September 2012 at 18:00.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    It all depends on their expectations and applications ...
    It's worth emphasizing that this can be more about particular working habits than about standards.

In the 80s, before I ditched 35mm for large format, my favorite lens was a nikkor 35-105 zoom that I semi-permanently borrowed from my dad. This lens had a reputation for being optically terrible. And for the most part it deserved it. But I found that at around 70mm, and around f8, it was exceptionally sharp. It also had a slightly dreamy look, kind of like an old uncoated lens, thanks to having lots of elements and lots of flare. This is practically the definition of a crappy lens, but it happens that I used it mostly around 70mm and f8, and that its nostalgic look suited the work I was doing at the time.

So, in conclusion, it was a crappy lens, and a great lens for me. This kind of thing might explain a lot of disagreements over lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nikon 200-400 with 1.4 extender attached-shot with Nikon d3 -hand held--birds obviously at a considerable distance from the camera-razor sharp eyes at 100% on my monitor-picture should be worth a thousand words
    Stanley