The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LF lenses on D800/800E

Tex

Subscriber Member
Does anybody have first hand experience with using LF lenses on the D800/800E?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Try contacting this guy.

I'm curious too. More for fun than practical reasons. I've got some nice Schneider glass gathering dust at the moment. Looks like the guy in that thread is using a pretty funky old lens, so it might be hard to draw too many conclusions from his results.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have not done LF with the D800 specifically, but have in the past with other DSLR's (Canon IDs2) and even the Phase DF. Your biggest issue if accurate focus, and with the small pixels of the D800 you will most certainly need to use LV @ 100% with a loupe to get the best results. The second thing is being able to perfectly center/zero the assembly -- again the small sensor and diminutive pixels work significantly against you as compared to film. Then I suspect after that, perfect technical captures (difficult) even with the latest generation of LF film lenses, the results will be less than stella because the glass simply isn't up to the sensor. Now, if you mount the current crop of Schneider or Rodenstock Digital tech lenses, you should get stellar results. At least when the camera movements are perfectly adjusted and you nail focus ;)