The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D600 What do you think?

tollie

Workshop Member
It looks near certain that Nikon will announce the D600 prior to Photokina.

Rumors has pics and projected specs here.

Full frame, 24 MP's but at a cost 1/2 of the D800...

Just for fun, what do you Nikon hands think of this?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Todd

The feature that caught my attention was “16bit processing” . The only DSLR that I can remember having 16bit was the DMR ...so I can only hope that Nikon is trying to hit its weakness in color fidelity . 24MP /16bit sounds about perfect for people pictures .

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I am hoping for increased high ISO performance over the D800 -- fatter pixels, and if they use the same processing engine it could happen :D.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I will be buying one for backup and PR work. So a D800 e and this maybe a good match. Hopefully they use the same batteries

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
This is a camera I have been waiting for since long before it was rumoured. With 28/50/85mm f/1.8 primes, it will be a compact yet very powerful kit. I won't be surprised if this becomes the most sold Nikon SLR ever within a couple of years.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ops ...this is covered over at the Nikon Cafe . The 16bit refers to the processing space not the raw output . Nice explanation on Nikon s micro site for the D300S under image quality . Raw captures are at 12/14bit ..the working space is 16 bit and the output is 12/14. The primary benefit is speed thru the buffer ..similar to moving from 32bit applications to 64bit .

16bit has been the standard since the d300s/d700 etc so no break thru as its stated .

There is some speculation though that this is a new sensor Nikon developed with Alpina (?) rather than the sony .

tollie

Workshop Member
Thanks for the pointer Roger... and gentlemen. The specs seem to be getting better as the announcement date approaches.

Great price point, especially for the non-pro but keen amateur (semi-pro).

I'd pre-order but I don't know where... only a couple of weeks now.

Paul2660

Did anyone else notice the size difference between the 800 and 600. The 600 is considerably smaller in body size based on the link posted.

Paul

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Did not notice but I welcome it. My D800 with that Tammy zoom I just got is kind of big . For PR stuff I would prefer smaller. I already decided on a D600 for my PR kit and as backup. It's a done deal, been waiting for this to be released as long as I can get a clean ISO 1600 and maybe 3200 than I'm screaming happy. I would expect it to be a lot like the D800 in functionality which would be very nice for a D800 user to have both. Also one high end body without the AA filter for high end work and AA filter for people stuff at lower Mpx sounds perfect for me and a good balance setup.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
There is some speculation though that this is a new sensor Nikon developed with Alpina (?) rather than the sony .
Roger, very interesting catch -- Alpina is a really old name for Sinar products. I doubt it's related, but good fodder for discussion and postulation.

Oren Grad

The rumor is about Aptina, the company that manufactures the sensors for the Nikon 1 cameras.

As for the general idea: a competent FF sensor in a smallish body? Bring it on, ASAP...

charlesphoto

Really looking forward to this one as a companion to the M9. I think my D3 is one of the best cameras ever built, but just too big for the bag (and shoulder) most of the time, esp if just needed for those few shots the M9 can't do (c/u, long, superwide, fast action, etc). The D800 just too much file for me. Now if only they release a D600e version!

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger, very interesting catch -- Alpina is a really old name for Sinar products. I doubt it's related, but good fodder for discussion and postulation.
Really I am just quoting from a thread over at FM under the Nikon forum heading . The poster indicated that Alpina (and I may have spelled it wrong ) developed the sensor for the J1/V1 .

It is quite interesting in how the Japanese camera companies cooperate even when they are competitors in the market place . (Sony making sensors for Nikon as an example ).

The thread also has a link to a nikon site(D300S/Image Quality) where they describe the how the cameras CPU is used to map both color and tonal range into the raw files . This is how Nikon balances trade offs between maintaining detail in the highlights and shadows and the tones available in the mid tone area .

Nikon has a real opportunity to create a high quality alternative with rich color and great tone separation or go the other way and extend the high ISO performance . They could do this with a menu option if the firmware had enough capacity .

ausemmao

Todd

The feature that caught my attention was “16bit processing” . The only DSLR that I can remember having 16bit was the DMR ...so I can only hope that Nikon is trying to hit its weakness in color fidelity . 24MP /16bit sounds about perfect for people pictures .
The camera's processing being 16 bit doesn't mean much. That's an internal things, has been that way for years.

Image capture will still be 14 bit, and you'll have the choice of recording 14 bit or 12 bit as usual.

There's no point having 16 bit on DX/FX sensors with current tech - hell most MFD sensors don't justify 16 bit files (the sensor is just encoding noise with the extra bits). It's a good marketing point though.

Other than that, nothing but good thoughts about this camera if it gets released - I would prefer to never carry a body bigger than a D7000.

tollie

Workshop Member
Without having the camera in my hand... the form factor seems right for the kind of work I like doing.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Did not notice but I welcome it. My D800 with that Tammy zoom I just got is kind of big . For PR stuff I would prefer smaller. I already decided on a D600 for my PR kit and as backup. It's a done deal, been waiting for this to be released as long as I can get a clean ISO 1600 and maybe 3200 than I'm screaming happy. I would expect it to be a lot like the D800 in functionality which would be very nice for a D800 user to have both. Also one high end body without the AA filter for high end work and AA filter for people stuff at lower Mpx sounds perfect for me and a good balance setup.
Well A D600 screwed on to that Tammy zoom will be almost the same over-all size as a D800 screwed on to that same lens.
I would personally rather keep my shooting and backup bodies the same.
-bob

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would love to see this camera with smaller form factor, same batteries as D800/D7000 and higher ISO as D800. Do not care about 16bit as 14 bit are more than enough for most applications.

Half the price of D800 and a non AA filter version like D600E (Never ever had any moire issues with any camera without AA filter) would make it a real winner IMHO.