The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Dare to Compare: Nikon 24mm shoot out.

R

rjkern

I knuckled down to geek out to something I’ve been exploring for many moons, a lens comparison between Nikon 24mm Trinity which includes the legendary ultra-wide angle Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 ($1760), the practical & smooth Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 ($1650), and exotic Nikon 24mm f/1.4 ($1880). The Trinity shares three things in common:

They are expensive Nikon glass. Anytime I spend over $1,000 on anything, I think long and hard.

They focus fast and are razor sharp. One of Nikon’s greatest strengths compared is effective focusing in low-light. You could make 20 x 30″ prints no problem using any of these lenses.

They photograph well at 24mm. Sure, wide-angle distortion is a common atrribute at 24mm… but nothing that can’t be fixed in post-processing (if that is your thing).

What I have been curious about is how well they shoot at 24mm at their widest aperture.

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.kern-photo.com/index.php/2011/09/nikon-14-24-vs-24-f1-4-dare-to-compare

The Skinny:

Shooting 24mm at 1.4 or 2.8 has it’s merits. It’s a dance between a macro lens and wide angle, hard to accomplish yet worth weight in gold…. like landing a first kiss on a date. Shooting at f/1.4 in the 24mm range requires a certain skill. Add the needed trust needed to get your clients closer.

Pros:

I took my 24 f1.4 to Burning Man. I left my 14-24 at home. Why? I want lens protection from the elements and the 14-24 is just too much exposed to sand, water, and dirty hippies.

Shooting from the hip has a whole new meaning at 14mm. You’ll know wy when standing inches from a flower girl bubbling with joy who has no idea you are about to create a photo that will make her grandmother MELT. THAT is what wedding photography is about.

Forget flash & tripod when you can hand-hold at 1/15, ISO 3200, at 1.4. That’s low-light shooting at it’s best… almost near infrared spectrum.

Cons:

16mm is where my world starts. I wish I could take it all in. I simply CAN’T at 24mm. Period.

A zoom is faster than my legs can walk in dire situations: think cake-cutting, wagging dog, or over-the-head politician fist pumping… all distinct genres with similar challenges.

There’s no way I can justify owning, let along carrying, all three. At least one has to go. I boot the 24-70mm f/2.8.

Conclusion:

You don’t buy a 24mm f/1.4 for sharpness at shooting at f/1.4. The Nikon 24mm is an exception. It is very, very sharp shot wide open. Then again, you don’t buy a 24mm f1.4 for shoot at f/11 all day, many cheaper lenses will do get this job done for $1500 less.

Modern zooms are just as sharp at 2.8. That’s not the point. That’s like asking for a $5,000 wedding dress for $500. It just doesn’t happen. While the extra 2 stops of light is nice, the shallow depth of field makes this lens shines. But to see the bokeh best, you have to be close to your subject… like within 2 feet.

If I had to choose one lens, I’d go for the Nikon 14-24 which is the best wide angle zoom lens I’ve ever used.

If I was to choose one of the three: The Nikon 24mm f/1.4 is my winner.