The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D600 may not be so "budget" after all

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Just a caution. It seems that, unbelievably, there is no AF fine tune on the 600...
Nikon want you to buy the D800/D4 ... product marketing 101 says that you don't offer all the features of the higher end model on the base model, especially if everything is else is so close in specification. ;)

tashley

Subscriber Member
Yeah, my bad, there was apparently a glitch at DPreview that implied there wasn't but the specs say there is...

woodworth

The Nikon UK site also mentions "fine-tuning", so dpreview's "bad" i.m.o..

Looks like WEX have it at the high/pre-order price of £1955 with the incensive that if you buy it before October 31st you get an extra battery and the chance to win a Nikkor to the value of £2000 ... or you could get it at the more reasonable price of about £1595 if you wait until November (based on D800 prices at pre-order and current at WEX).

I'll wait and pay less, even if I don't get the chance to gamble on getting a free lens as I'm never that lucky!

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have to say that with much of my Nikon gear in constant circulation between me and Nikon service, I have totally stopped buying their stuff (bodies, glass) until such time as I get at least one successful repair to indicate that the game is worth the candle...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Tim,

Have you ever owned any piece of camera kit that didn't need to be returned for repairs?

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I am still of the mindset that Nikon should have kept the pricing at $1,999. as it is a psycological factor in play.

Seeing the D600 at $2,099 and the D800 at $2,999 doesn't appear to be as much of a difference from a marketing perspective. Perception is a big factor in sales as many of us know too.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree. 1999.00 I might not think twice but I am now.

I'm also bummed no REAL lenses being introduced.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The one thing in its favor is it is small. After walking all around NY both Manhattan and Brooklyn last week with the D800e with the Tammy zoom I would have enjoyed the D600 more from a weight and bulk perspective . I'm no wimp either when it comes to carrying gear but it did wear me out some.

D&A

I still feel as I stated in my previous post yesterday, that Nikon could or should have gone two ways with this:

1. A real entry level D600 size full frame camera at a sub $2000 price point, maybe closer to $1795.00 . Resolution, since tech has moved on since the days of 12mp bodies, would be in the 18-24mp range. Sort of the D600 they introduced but at a price point that is as much as a value purchase as the D800/e was.

2. A real successor to the D700 . A full frame robustly built D800 sized camera that also has 18-24mp, at least 6 FPS without grip (and optional 7 FPS or greater frame rate with optional grip), same AF array and metering of the D800 and then stick a price of $2395.00-2695.00 . High ISO performance would exceed that of a D800. Yes, sort of a mini D4.

This body would attract D800 users desiring a body with alternative performance feature set to complement their D800 or those who simply want a camera that does everything well with a balanced approach to both resolution, high ISO performance and shooting speed. It would of course use the D800 grip and battery.

I feel with the upcoming D600, they missed the mark in designing this camera for a well defined traget group of users.

Dave (D&A)

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
The one thing in its favor is it is small. After walking all around NY both Manhattan and Brooklyn last week with the D800e with the Tammy zoom I would have enjoyed the D600 more from a weight and bulk perspective . I'm no wimp either when it comes to carrying gear but it did wear me out some.
I used to lug my D3s around with the 24-70 or even the 70-200 so the D800 is a dream to me.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I still feel as I stated in my previous post yesterday, that Nikon could or should have gone two ways with this:

1. A real entry level D600 size full frame camera at a sub $2000 price point, maybe closer to $1795.00 . Resolution, since tech has moved on since the days of 12mp bodies, would be in the 18-24mp range. Sort of the D600 they introduced but at a price point that is as much as a value purchase as the D800/e was.

2. A real successor to the D700 . A full frame robustly built D800 sized camera that also has 18-24mp, at least 6 FPS without grip (and optional 7 FPS or greater frame rate with optional grip), same AF array and metering of the D800 and then stick a price of $2395.00-2695.00 . High ISO performance would exceed that of a D800. Yes, sort of a mini D4.

This body would attract D800 users desiring a body with alternative performance feature set to complement their D800 or those who simply want a camera that does everything well with a balanced approach to both resolution, high ISO performance and shooting speed. It would of course use the D800 grip and battery.

I feel with the upcoming D600, they missed the mark in designing this camera for a well defined traget group of users.

Dave (D&A)
You and I agree on both points. :thumbs:

D&A

I used to lug my D3s around with the 24-70 or even the 70-200 so the D800 is a dream to me.
You me and I'm sure many many other (did the same thing). Not only the D800 but even the D700 always seemed like an ultra light weight alternative to the large pro oriented bodies. Of course as time marches on, one sort of gets used to these newer bodies (D800 etc.) as being the new standard in size and weight and anything smaller seems like a featherweight. Its of course all relative in terms of what one is used to. :)

Dave (D&A)

djonesii

Workshop Member
That is why I have an OMD and no Nikon body right now.

Kept the 24-70, 2.8 and the 120-300 2.8 sigma as I when I am birding or some sports, and some events, I like zooms. The frame rate is a bit of a let down.

I'd really have preferred a baby D4, not a baby D800.

Dave

ustein

Contributing Editor
As far as I know this is the lowest priced FF DSLR by a margin. So I don't think much is wrong with it and it is right on target (these are not the D800 users).

D&A

Uwe, the D600 may indeed have a target audience but then I personally fine there is still a gap for a body as I've described in paragraph below;

What I find a bit ironic is the camera many would like to see is an amalgam of the D800 and D4....D800 body and metering & AF sensors, 18-24mp, 6+ FPS, robust D800 build quality. A camera sort of placed in the line-up between the D600 and D800 in many ways and the perfect name could be D700....oops wait, that name has already been used...LOL!

Dave (D&A)

atanabe

. . .

. . .

Dave (D&A)
I think they had a lower price point in mind but the exchange rate being what it is probably drove the price up. They can always have a rebate program in the future, much easier to move the price down than up.