The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D600 may not be so "budget" after all

Swissblad

Although the new D600 was rumoured to have a entry price of $1500.-, the latest reports put it closer to $2700.-

Guess we'll have to wait and see - but at that price it is not very tempting.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Why would one opt for the D600 over the D800 for a mere $200?

If this is indeed the case, Nikon may have shot themselves in the foot.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think it is actually 2100.00 US street price. Let's wait on further details but there math is kind of weird from what I read.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I think it is actually 2100.00 US street price. Let's wait on further details but there math is kind of weird from what I read.
I would hope that it would be no more than that, and perhaps even a little less. If they could manage to keep the list at just under $2,000. (say $1,995)then there would be a large market of photo enthusiasts who would spend about $1,000 less than the D800 for a camera that will do them justice for several years.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If its at 1800 than I'm buying it as my second body. More than that not so sure it makes any sense for me and buy used instead.

emr

I have no inside information, but find both guesses ($1500 and $2700) unrealistic. My guess is $2000-2200.

D&A

Speaking for myself, I think equally important to the price point and how close or not it is price wise to the D800 is what type of camera it is and what priorities Nikon has set for this camera.

For example, just as the D700 was in essence a near clone in many respects to the capabilities of the original D3 at a lower price point....many would like to see a similar camera to the D4 but in a smaller less expensive package. For some this would be the ideal companion to their D800 and for others, simply the prefered desired camera (even if their only DSLR) for low light and/or fast shooting work, with a smaller file size than the D800.

Another group would be happy with a compromise camera, having higher resolution than say the D4 but a more manageable file size than the D800 with the tradeoff being that for it's clearly superior for low light, and/or faster shooting than the D800. Sort of right in-between some of the capabilties of a D4 and D800, which places both those two cameras on the extremes, so to speak.

This in-between camera could also be a companion camera to both D4 users as well as D800 users.

What I and some others fear is a $2400 body that is neither here nor there...sort of a scaled back D800 ...where it does have a smaller # of pixels (say 24mp), but higher ISO shooting isn't all that different nor is the FPS. Just simply a chance to save a few hundred $$ and in return get essntially a 24mp downsized D800 sort of camera (but with a reduced file size and not quite as robust build.

If given the choice, I would much prefer one of the 1st two choices I mentioned, not the last (3rd) choice.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ausemmao

The apparent $2100 price (so £17-1800 UK retail) pushes me back towards the D800. While I lean towards smaller bodies, £4-500 (or much less if I go for a secondhand D800) in exchange for better AF, better metering (and hence tracking) and the shutter/sync speeds looks good (especially as that £400 difference is likely to hold through resale). I hope the price is a pessimistic estimate.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
High framerates and stellar high ISO performance could drive the pricing. Depending on what those are, I could be a buyer as high as $2500, doubtful I would be, but certainly could be. If framerates and ISO are on par with the D800, then I'm probably not a buyer even at $1500...

ausemmao

High framerates and stellar high ISO performance could drive the pricing. Depending on what those are, I could be a buyer as high as $2500, doubtful I would be, but certainly could be. If framerates and ISO are on par with the D800, then I'm probably not a buyer even at $1500...
Framerate will likely be 5(maaaaaaaaaaaybe 6, but highly unlikely) FPS full frame, no higher in DX.

High ISO might be a little better than the D800, but it's going to be marginal. The D800 is already the 2nd-4th best DSLR at high ISO (depending on exactly how high you're talking), having the D600 beat this would mean going to a non Exmor sensor, trashing (relatively) the low ISO advantage.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
ausemmau,

I agree 100% with your assessment -- and assuming we're correct, I'm not going to be interested, rather have a pair of D800's :D

Lars

My guess is $1700. It has to be quite a bit lower than the $3K of the D800. We'll know in a few hours (minutes?).

dmeckert

i realize it's almost a vestigial tail these days with pocket wizards and such getting better all the time...but i was really hoping for a pc sync (assuming the camera even has FP flash mode). it's a super easy way to severely cheat the flash sync speed (transmitter in pc terminal, flash in FP mode on the hotshoe, and go. i routinely shot my d300 over 1/1250 with my ABs without more than a couple stops light loss...and with the silver PCB paras, you gain that back anyway, so it's a wash).

i'm also not thrilled about the 39pt AF. i've been spoiled by the d300 and d700 the last 4+ years.

at $2000+ it's a no go for me, i'd rather just bite the bullet and move up. at $1700ish, it's gonna take some hard thinking. the lower price is welcome though, since i'm strongly considering updating my midrange zoom this year as well (hafta see how to optimize the ol' taxes). not the most exciting lens, but it's my bread and butter.

thank heavens the sony rx1 doesnt have a built in evf, or i'd be out turning tricks on the corner instead of typing this message. lmao

jduncan

For sample images from the D600 and additional specs:

Nikon | Imaging Products | Still Images - Nikon D600

Dave (D&A)

Thanks,

They look good but there is something that catch my attention, and concern me a little.
It seems that the skin of the model of the first picture has no texture on it.

It could be the combination of distance, makeup, age of the model and resolution, but it has this "Canon" look to it (lack of texture, beautifully render eyes).
The issue is not the Canon part, but the indication of heavy processing. If we look at the out of focus part of her hair it looks funny too.

I am aware it's too early to tell, but just venting.

For the people that have never used a D7000 /D90 etc series: The difference in terms of autofocus performance is very big, so I will suggest playing with it before buying it.

As a second body that may not be a concern.

Best regards,
James