The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800 weather resistance

ymc226

Coming from a Leica M9 (poor) and Nikon F6 (good), how wet can a D800 get before one becomes worried. Never worried about the F6 but since the D800 isn't pro-level, can it still get "soaked" in the rain?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
No claim that this is a good example, but I dunked mine in a river, shook off the water and just kept going.
-bob

pophoto

I have heard pro-level cameras dropping into rivers coming up dead, so while being soaked in rain, I certainly feel the D800 is as good as the D700, which I know Nikon had a Storm chaser help advertise their D700 camera.

Also it is also as good as it's weakest link, so if Lens is not weather sealed, that will be an issue for the camera!

ymc226

Also it is also as good as it's weakest link, so if Lens is not weather sealed, that will be an issue for the camera!
How can I tell if the lens if weather sealed? I would be using predominantly a version 1 70-200 VR AF lens initially.

Magic

I can't imagine that the lense mount is waterproof (not to mention the switches, buttons and displays)...otherwise Nikon would have mentioned that the D800 can be used as underwater camera :D.

However, I just used the D800 during my Thailand vacation and it (she ?) was exposed to splashes of seawater (which I of course wiped off/flushed the filter on the lense with drinking water) during boat cruises and I am living in Dubai where we have most of the time sand in the air wich frequently reflects as nice spots on my sensor and so far the D800 is doing a great job, as my D700 did as well before.:thumbup:

As summary I think a few raindrops won't do any harm but I would play safe and try to avoid water as much as possible.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Be careful!
I used the Nikon D800E in Maine during a couple of days of raining and it was dead for 4-5 days. Fortunately, it's been back to normal since I came back to Denver.

D&A

I need to do the ultimate test. Vodka
Just to clarify, you mean drink some and then do something silly and take it in the shower with you? LOL!

I'm just attempting to follow the official instructions for the GETdpi "Weather Resitance" test :)

Dave (D&A)

I don't really know what weather sealed means. I had a Canon 10D that was used in a tornado and ultimately ended up under water for an unknown period of time and was fine once it dried out. I have also seen humidity and moisture kill cameras that were claimed to be sealed. Water is very cohesive and has strong surface tension, so very often a camera that is even minimally sealed will be fine with large drops, where the same camera used under a rain cover (where moisture can accumulate) can succumb to the elements. When the 5DII came out, there were reports of camera deaths from moisture intrusion all over the web, but those reports disappeared after a few months leading me to think that the first round of cameras didn't get the seals at the factory.

What does this have to do with a D800? My thought is that given all the initial production problems with this camera, I would not blindly assume that your camera is sealed just because it is supposed to be. If you have questions or are unsure, call NPS and ask if they have seen a lot of D800s with weather related damage.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just to clarify, you mean drink some and then do something silly and take it in the shower with you? LOL!

I'm just attempting to follow the official instructions for the GETdpi "Weather Resitance" test :)

Dave (D&A)
Might just be a combination test. Drink a lot that spill the rest by accident of course. I'll make sure it's in equal amounts to be scientific about it. One shot for me and one for camera until bottle empty. Than we take a shower together, just don't tell my wife. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Officially weather sealed is like a watch water resistant to 6 ft but a dive watch water proof to 300 hundred feet. Question is can you go 8 ft, don't know until you done it. Not sure there really is a answer on water resistant products.

pophoto

I think common sense will aid each photographer best here: Weather sealed camera and lenses, I would shoot in some light rain, downpours I would do it with caution and perhaps in short amount of time only, and underwater I won't attempt it without proper housing! Also anything else, get insurance and use your warranty! :)

Goodluck!

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Might just be a combination test. Drink a lot that spill the rest by accident of course. I'll make sure it's in equal amounts to be scientific about it. One shot for me and one for camera until bottle empty. Than we take a shower together, just don't tell my wife. LOL
Guy, That would amount to alcohol abuse.
-bob

E

EdK

Sorry for joining this party late. Waited until 9/29 to do a test at Acadia NP.

Test result - Definitely not very water resistant. Died in less than two hours while shooting in the rain. Been at Nikon Melville for nearly a month now.

Background. I shot outdoors every day, regardless of weather (northern Virginia), from 2004-2009 for over 100,000 captures using D70 and D300 bodies with reasonable precautions (rain sleeve + occasional wipe off with towel). Never had the slightest problems with any of the four cameras (2 each D70 & D300).

On 9/29 I was using the D300 with a consumer Tokina 16-50 2.8 side by side with my D800E (and the pro-level Nikkor 24-70 2.8) for comparison shots. THe conditions were no worse than those I experienced dozens of times. Both cameras had identical rain sleeves & care. After less than 2 hours the D800E failed (back buttons & rocker switch inoperable - but the shutter would fire).

Conclusion - at least for that particular D800E, it was less water resistant than the D300 (and all of the other bodies I've used).

Lesson - I'm glad it was insured (although it is repairable if Nikon would just get of the dime and get it done). Non-warranty - $224.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Same experience at Acadia NP in July!!!
My D800E was dead after shooting in the rain for few days (with plastic bag coverage as much as possible).
It was recovered spontaneously when I was back to Denver.
Fortunately, it didn't need a repair and has been fine since.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Can it really be that the D800 has less weather sealing than the D300? I use the D300 (and the D2Xs) with 80-200 AF-S for hours in pouring rain frequently during the monsoon season, and I've never had a problem. If the D800 can't take this kind of abuse, what then with the D600 and D7000?

It's unfortunate that information from Nikon regarding weather sealing is rather vague. With cameras like the D4 and F6, it's another story since they show them soaked in the brochures, but what lenses can take a shower is partly guesswork.

Shashin

Do not change lenses, batteries, or memory cards under water.

Btw, if you are changing lenses in very humid conditions with a weatherproof body, humidity can build up in the camera and really cannot escape. It is not a bad idea to put the body without the lens in an air tight container with desiccant for a while. Or move to Colorado...