Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: D800 weather resistance

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    D800 weather resistance

    Coming from a Leica M9 (poor) and Nikon F6 (good), how wet can a D800 get before one becomes worried. Never worried about the F6 but since the D800 isn't pro-level, can it still get "soaked" in the rain?

  2. #2
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    No claim that this is a good example, but I dunked mine in a river, shook off the water and just kept going.
    -bob
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    I have heard pro-level cameras dropping into rivers coming up dead, so while being soaked in rain, I certainly feel the D800 is as good as the D700, which I know Nikon had a Storm chaser help advertise their D700 camera.

    Also it is also as good as it's weakest link, so if Lens is not weather sealed, that will be an issue for the camera!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by pophoto View Post
    Also it is also as good as it's weakest link, so if Lens is not weather sealed, that will be an issue for the camera!
    How can I tell if the lens if weather sealed? I would be using predominantly a version 1 70-200 VR AF lens initially.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    I can't imagine that the lense mount is waterproof (not to mention the switches, buttons and displays)...otherwise Nikon would have mentioned that the D800 can be used as underwater camera .

    However, I just used the D800 during my Thailand vacation and it (she ?) was exposed to splashes of seawater (which I of course wiped off/flushed the filter on the lense with drinking water) during boat cruises and I am living in Dubai where we have most of the time sand in the air wich frequently reflects as nice spots on my sensor and so far the D800 is doing a great job, as my D700 did as well before.

    As summary I think a few raindrops won't do any harm but I would play safe and try to avoid water as much as possible.

  6. #6
    Senior Member danielmoore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    18

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    But did you get the shot, Bob? : )

  7. #7
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1248

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Be careful!
    I used the Nikon D800E in Maine during a couple of days of raining and it was dead for 4-5 days. Fortunately, it's been back to normal since I came back to Denver.

  8. #8
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    I need to do the ultimate test. Vodka
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    3,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I need to do the ultimate test. Vodka
    Just to clarify, you mean drink some and then do something silly and take it in the shower with you? LOL!

    I'm just attempting to follow the official instructions for the GETdpi "Weather Resitance" test

    Dave (D&A)

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    I don't really know what weather sealed means. I had a Canon 10D that was used in a tornado and ultimately ended up under water for an unknown period of time and was fine once it dried out. I have also seen humidity and moisture kill cameras that were claimed to be sealed. Water is very cohesive and has strong surface tension, so very often a camera that is even minimally sealed will be fine with large drops, where the same camera used under a rain cover (where moisture can accumulate) can succumb to the elements. When the 5DII came out, there were reports of camera deaths from moisture intrusion all over the web, but those reports disappeared after a few months leading me to think that the first round of cameras didn't get the seals at the factory.

    What does this have to do with a D800? My thought is that given all the initial production problems with this camera, I would not blindly assume that your camera is sealed just because it is supposed to be. If you have questions or are unsure, call NPS and ask if they have seen a lot of D800s with weather related damage.

  11. #11
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by danielmoore View Post
    But did you get the shot, Bob? : )
    Actually I did LOL
    the next day after the application of an ankle brace some band aids and a bunch of ibuprofen
    -bob

  12. #12
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Just to clarify, you mean drink some and then do something silly and take it in the shower with you? LOL!

    I'm just attempting to follow the official instructions for the GETdpi "Weather Resitance" test

    Dave (D&A)
    Might just be a combination test. Drink a lot that spill the rest by accident of course. I'll make sure it's in equal amounts to be scientific about it. One shot for me and one for camera until bottle empty. Than we take a shower together, just don't tell my wife. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  13. #13
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Officially weather sealed is like a watch water resistant to 6 ft but a dive watch water proof to 300 hundred feet. Question is can you go 8 ft, don't know until you done it. Not sure there really is a answer on water resistant products.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    889
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    I think common sense will aid each photographer best here: Weather sealed camera and lenses, I would shoot in some light rain, downpours I would do it with caution and perhaps in short amount of time only, and underwater I won't attempt it without proper housing! Also anything else, get insurance and use your warranty!

    Goodluck!
    ___________________
    Po-Ming Chu
    POPHOTO

  15. #15
    Administrator Bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Prescott, Arizona
    Posts
    4,492
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    367

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Might just be a combination test. Drink a lot that spill the rest by accident of course. I'll make sure it's in equal amounts to be scientific about it. One shot for me and one for camera until bottle empty. Than we take a shower together, just don't tell my wife. LOL
    Guy, That would amount to alcohol abuse.
    -bob

  16. #16
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    For the camera yes for me just cocktail hour. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  17. #17
    EdK
    Guest

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Sorry for joining this party late. Waited until 9/29 to do a test at Acadia NP.

    Test result - Definitely not very water resistant. Died in less than two hours while shooting in the rain. Been at Nikon Melville for nearly a month now.

    Background. I shot outdoors every day, regardless of weather (northern Virginia), from 2004-2009 for over 100,000 captures using D70 and D300 bodies with reasonable precautions (rain sleeve + occasional wipe off with towel). Never had the slightest problems with any of the four cameras (2 each D70 & D300).

    On 9/29 I was using the D300 with a consumer Tokina 16-50 2.8 side by side with my D800E (and the pro-level Nikkor 24-70 2.8) for comparison shots. THe conditions were no worse than those I experienced dozens of times. Both cameras had identical rain sleeves & care. After less than 2 hours the D800E failed (back buttons & rocker switch inoperable - but the shutter would fire).

    Conclusion - at least for that particular D800E, it was less water resistant than the D300 (and all of the other bodies I've used).

    Lesson - I'm glad it was insured (although it is repairable if Nikon would just get of the dime and get it done). Non-warranty - $224.

  18. #18
    Senior Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Englewood, CO
    Posts
    2,489
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1248

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Same experience at Acadia NP in July!!!
    My D800E was dead after shooting in the rain for few days (with plastic bag coverage as much as possible).
    It was recovered spontaneously when I was back to Denver.
    Fortunately, it didn't need a repair and has been fine since.

  19. #19
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Can it really be that the D800 has less weather sealing than the D300? I use the D300 (and the D2Xs) with 80-200 AF-S for hours in pouring rain frequently during the monsoon season, and I've never had a problem. If the D800 can't take this kind of abuse, what then with the D600 and D7000?

    It's unfortunate that information from Nikon regarding weather sealing is rather vague. With cameras like the D4 and F6, it's another story since they show them soaked in the brochures, but what lenses can take a shower is partly guesswork.

  20. #20
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Do not change lenses, batteries, or memory cards under water.

    Btw, if you are changing lenses in very humid conditions with a weatherproof body, humidity can build up in the camera and really cannot escape. It is not a bad idea to put the body without the lens in an air tight container with desiccant for a while. Or move to Colorado...
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  21. #21
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Do not change lenses, batteries, or memory cards under water.

    Btw, if you are changing lenses in very humid conditions with a weatherproof body, humidity can build up in the camera and really cannot escape. It is not a bad idea to put the body without the lens in an air tight container with desiccant for a while. Or move to Colorado...
    As a rule, I bring one camera body per lens during tough weather conditions. When I return home, all gear goes straight into the dry cabinet. I even consider buying a separate cabinet where I keep a lower humidity for drying up humid equipment.

  22. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorgen Udvang View Post
    Can it really be that the D800 has less weather sealing than the D300? I use the D300 (and the D2Xs) with 80-200 AF-S for hours in pouring rain frequently during the monsoon season, and I've never had a problem. If the D800 can't take this kind of abuse, what then with the D600 and D7000?

    It's unfortunate that information from Nikon regarding weather sealing is rather vague. With cameras like the D4 and F6, it's another story since they show them soaked in the brochures, but what lenses can take a shower is partly guesswork.
    There is a reason that Nikon don't say anywhere in their marketing materials that the camera is waterproof, and that while they claim 'weather sealing' (no other industry uses such an absurd term) will not cover moisture damage under warranty repair. A similar reason that for all the BS talk about how their cameras can 'hammer in nails' or is 'built like a tank', 95% of DSLR owners will have their buttocks clench the moment their grip slips or if their camera gets dropped onto anything resembling a solid surface.

    There are times that they will survive bad weather/drops. I've had my D7000 survive a rainstorm in Snowdonia without any protection. I've also heard of them dying to light drizzle. If these cameras had in any way reliable protection, do you think Nikon would keep it quiet?

  23. #23
    Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pratamnak
    Posts
    9,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2157

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Maybe I should buy another F6, just to be on the safe side

  24. #24
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: D800 weather resistance

    Quote Originally Posted by ausemmao View Post
    There is a reason that Nikon don't say anywhere in their marketing materials that the camera is waterproof, and that while they claim 'weather sealing' (no other industry uses such an absurd term) will not cover moisture damage under warranty repair. A similar reason that for all the BS talk about how their cameras can 'hammer in nails' or is 'built like a tank', 95% of DSLR owners will have their buttocks clench the moment their grip slips or if their camera gets dropped onto anything resembling a solid surface.

    There are times that they will survive bad weather/drops. I've had my D7000 survive a rainstorm in Snowdonia without any protection. I've also heard of them dying to light drizzle. If these cameras had in any way reliable protection, do you think Nikon would keep it quiet?
    Actually, the industry hates to make concrete claims because the customers never read the specs. Then the manufacturers are lumbered with irate customers that want to claim the product failed rather than to own up to their own mistakes.

    Outdoor gear and binocular manufacturers also use "weather proof" and related terms. Now you know two more industries that use it.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •