The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon celebrating the Autumn colours

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Autumn has arrived, at least in The Northern Hemisphere like e.g. here on latitude 56° 00 N.

Let's enjoy the glowing colour palettes :)

© • click for native sizes (14 - 22 Mb)

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • at f/8 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.1

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
sorry for the lacking visual effects ...

Thanks Tim.
But no matter what I do the pictures persistently keep showing here on my computer.
I've tried everything to make them go away, refreshing, re-booting and all I could think of, but nothing works, they just stay there.
So I really don't know what to do.
I can only hope that some other members will contribute to this thread, otherwise it's going to be the most boring thematic image thread ever on GetDPI :sleep006:
Anyway, thanks for letting me know, I'll see if I can think of something.
Anybody else who cannot see the images ?

V

Vivek

Hi Steen, No worries here.

I was going to ask why the foliage look so brittle (especially the last 2) then I saw that you used the E for the images.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thank you, Vivek
I think the foliage looking so brittle has more to do with the foliage (in the last two pictures) being backlit than the camera being the Extravagance model.
At least the backlit foliage was what really caught my eye and unfortunately there's definitely nothing extravagant about my eyesight anymore :D
Summa summarum, the brittle look actually was there to begin with.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Steen, I looked at the larger version and I do see jaggies (red shiny foliage). I don't know where they come from but the image certainly can not be what you saw.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks for pointing it out, Vivek, and you are right, it's only an image of what I saw .-)

I have now uploaded a more careful Raw conversion so that the image doesn't fall apart.

Is it better now ?

Or do I need to buy an anti-aliasing filter to blur out the Extravagance :D

V

Vivek

That looks better. Now, I can see the green foliage at infinity without much detail. Would that be diffraction playing a role (f/8) or the lens isn't focused for infinity?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Definitely not infinity, the last two pictures with the backlit red grass were focused on the red grass only a few meters away, using the AF-S 28mm G wide angle lens.

With regards to diffraction I think it's pretty safe to use f/8 on the D800 / D800É

I often use f/8 when I need the Depth Of Field, but I rarely go beyond f/8.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

In summer the Virginia Creeper, Parthenocissus quinquefolia, is some shade of green like the rest of the foliage - but in the autumn it turns red.

© • click for native size (15 Mb)

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/250 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

© • click for native size (10.8 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AF-S Nikkor 1.8/28mm G • 1/125 sec. at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

And here's the colour palette during the transformation.

© • click for native size (5.6 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/100 sec at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

© • click for native size (6.3 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar 2/100mm ZF • 1/50 sec at f/8 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

Swissblad

Nice thread, Steen - locally we are having a poor show - it has been far too warm for any decent colour shift - which is a pity as the cherry tress are usually blazingly red at this time of year.

Note much colour ... will try again today ..... but in the interim .... at least the Nikon 24-70mm gives decent starbursts.... ;)

Last edited:

rayyan

Nice thread Steen. Let's see the folks in the States and Canada post..autumn is usually glorious around them parts.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Thanks a lot, Swiss and Rayyan

Beautiful capture and a nice starburst from the 24-70mm, Swiss, looks like (and sounds like) you got yourself a great sample of that lens.

And I agree, Rayyan, it would be nice to see the folks in the States and Canada post their usually glorious autumn sceneries.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Backlit Virginia Creeper leaves, here captured with a ~ 40 years old AI-converted Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50mm

© • click for native size (2.4 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AI converted Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50mm • 1/3200 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Beautiful, Swissblad :thumbup:

- - - - -

In the autumn the English yew, Taxus baccata, gets red berries.

Here again with the AI-modified Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50mm from the old days when there were true aberrations .-)

© • click for native size (4.2 Mb)

© • Nikon D610 • AI converted Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50mm • 1/1250 sec. at f/1.4 ISO 100 • Capture NX-D 1.0.2