Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

  1. #1
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    Good evening,
    After more than 6.5 months of patiently waiting, Mr. Brown will be bringing my D800E to my doorstep tomorrow morning before 10:30!

    I have always been a sharpness nut since my days using 35mm Leica and 8x10 view cameras in the United States Army Signal Corps.

    I subscribe to the Ansel Adams practice of always using a tripod whenever possible. I still use a tripod with my 35mm DSLR cameras.

    My favorite focal lengths are 24mm, 35mm and 85-100mm.

    Currently, I have Canon, Nikon and A Sony A900.
    I am not very impressed with any of the Canon and Nikon zooms except the Nikon 14-24mm. The Zeiss 24-70 Sony A has a terrible wobble in the zoom barrel which I can not believe passed quality control.

    I would like to purchase a 35mm prime and need suggestions on this lens.

    I have a old 60mm f2.8 Nikkor circa 2001. Would this lens work well on the D800E?
    I also have the 85mm PC Nikkor and 100mm Leica-R Macro Elmarit from 2005.
    Does anyone have experience with these two optics?

    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    Mike

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    The Leica 100mm APO- Macro is outstanding, and can be used on the d800 with leitax mount conversion. The 60mm Nikkor should be fine as well. As for 35mm lenses most seem to struggle with extreme corners on the D800. I'd look for either the old Nikkor, Olympus or Zeiss shift lenses.
    Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    Mike

    If you're a view camera guy look at the three tilt shifts Nikon currently has
    I'm a longtime Canon user as well as assorted digital back combos but have had
    a D800e for a couple of days with the Nikon 25,45,and 85 ts
    The 45 and 85 are exceptional. Their 24 is decent but a step down from the current
    Canon 24 ts
    For 35mm prime, i would look at the Zeiss 35 f2 ZF.2
    I have the Canon equivalent and it is stellar

    mark

  4. #4
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    Quote Originally Posted by pgmj View Post
    The Leica 100mm APO- Macro is outstanding, and can be used on the d800 with leitax mount conversion. The 60mm Nikkor should be fine as well. As for 35mm lenses most seem to struggle with extreme corners on the D800. I'd look for either the old Nikkor, Olympus or Zeiss shift lenses.
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Is the old 35mm PC Nikkor any good on digital?
    I have one I have not used in years.
    Did Zeiss make a shift lens in a Nikon mount or is this the one for the Contax RTS II?
    I know Schneider made one in Canon & Nikon mounts.
    How could the Olympus be adapted to the Nikon?
    I had some Olympus optics in the 1980s which I used on the OM-4 Titanium and they were superb.

  5. #5
    Member nikonf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    167
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    Quote Originally Posted by mtomalty View Post
    Mike

    If you're a view camera guy look at the three tilt shifts Nikon currently has
    I'm a longtime Canon user as well as assorted digital back combos but have had
    a D800e for a couple of days with the Nikon 25,45,and 85 ts
    The 45 and 85 are exceptional. Their 24 is decent but a step down from the current
    Canon 24 ts
    For 35mm prime, i would look at the Zeiss 35 f2 ZF.2
    I have the Canon equivalent and it is stellar

    mark
    Thanks very much Mark.
    Is the Nikon 85mm PC that I have the same optic as the new 85mm E?
    How are the edges on the Zeiss 35mm f2 ZE?
    Too bad the Nikon 24mm PC is not as good as the Canon.
    I had the old Canon 24mm and it was not very good on a full sensor camera, like the 5D.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Posts
    187
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Old View Camera Guy Needs Lens for D800E

    Quote Originally Posted by nikonf View Post
    Thanks for the prompt reply.
    Is the old 35mm PC Nikkor any good on digital?
    I have one I have not used in years.
    Did Zeiss make a shift lens in a Nikon mount or is this the one for the Contax RTS II?
    I know Schneider made one in Canon & Nikon mounts.
    How could the Olympus be adapted to the Nikon?
    I had some Olympus optics in the 1980s which I used on the OM-4 Titanium and they were superb.
    You can change the mount for Oly/Zeiss to Nikon, look at Leica & Pentax & Nikon | Leitax
    Leica Monochrom, Olympus EM-5, Ricoh GR

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •