The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

downgrading from D4 to D800

ryc

Is this a mistake ? By this I mean strictly at a camera level not necessarily what kind of photography I do or what best fits my needs. I am not a pro so besides the pro body vs the prosumer body, is there really an advantage to the D4 that is worth the extras cash ? I have it up in FS/FT willing to trade for a D800 plus cash. Will I regret this ?

pophoto

Unless you take picture of sports, wildlife, like birds, or running kids, the D4's real advantage is its AF tracking over the lesser models. For still subject matter or control over strobes, the D800 will offer simply better IQ. Also the pro Body is built for more adverse weather conditions, so if your travels take you there, this is the better body.
It is really dependent on your priorities as a shooter, but really should you be offering cash as well as the D4 body?

pophoto

:)

That's a D800 + cash = my D4
Ha, my lack of sleep obviously is showing its signs. :p
Wouldn't it be better or easier just to sell your D4 for cash and then buy a D800.

Oh another thing is, I don't know what lenses you already have, the d800 is a lot more demanding of the lenses, and now the D600 is out, you may want to weigh your options depending what you are after!

Is this a mistake ? By this I mean strictly at a camera level not necessarily what kind of photography I do or what best fits my needs.
You really are missing the point of the two cameras there. It is entirely dependent on subject and shoot conditions. Bad weather or things that move fast = D4. Image quality or smaller size at the expense of everything else = D800. No right or wrong answer, both are excellent when used as intended.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
My friends that shoot fashion much prefer the D4 ..because of the large buffer and the speed of shooting . Waiting for the camera to process a series of very large files kills the flow .

Same for sports ...D4 blows away anything else except maybe the Canon Pro bodies .

For less demanding AF ,continuous capture rates and durability ....the D800/E is right there and produces an unsurpassed file .

D&A

I won't repeat the excellent comments by others, but one additional consideration is for those that shoot in low light conditions needing excellent high to very high ISO performance. This too is one of the great D4 strengths. For example, I often shoot performing arts in extremely low stage lighting conditions. Combine this with performers often in movement and this is where a D4 would excel, especially where many shots are hand held. Both superb cameras, each with certain strengths the other one may be weak in (relatively speaking).

Dave (D&A)

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
Dave,

Excellent point. I shoot a lot of Bodybuilding / Fitness competitions which are not exactly the best lit things, and while I like to shoot the D800, when the lighting is a bit questionable, I go to the D3s due to the better capabilities in low light.

ryc

thanks for all the feedback. But for me it came down to size. No question the d4 is awesome but for my needs the d800 will suffice ( for now ). Then again I go through cameras like tissue paper :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Flipper's remorse? The D3s/D4 is the epitome of Nikon's pro body design and the D800 isn't. Once you've spent years knowing where everything is on the big D's it takes a while to adapt to the smaller brother.

I don't think that I'm alone in wanting to see the D800's sensor in a D4 body. The feel is different and in fact I added a grip to my own D600 because I missed that 'full body' experience. My D800 I'm leaving as-is as I don't tend to take it with me all the time so it's less of a concern.

D&A

Flipper's remorse? The D3s/D4 is the epitome of Nikon's pro body design and the D800 isn't. Once you've spent years knowing where everything is on the big D's it takes a while to adapt to the smaller brother.

I don't think that I'm alone in wanting to see the D800's sensor in a D4 body. The feel is different and in fact I added a grip to my own D600 because I missed that 'full body' experience. My D800 I'm leaving as-is as I don't tend to take it with me all the time so it's less of a concern.
Interestingly, I think a D4 sized D800 (with maybe even higher resolution) would be very desireable and then again a D800 sized D4 (like the D700 sized D3), has also been requested by quite a few.

Dave (D&A)

RVB

Finally sold the D800 and picked up another D4. The 800 just wasn't for me.
This doesn't surprise me... :) I have both and much prefer the D4.. excellent ergonomic's and plenty of detail in the files..

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Finally sold the D800 and picked up another D4. The 800 just wasn't for me.
This doesn't surprise me either. I still say that the D3s/D4 are the best cameras Nikon has ever produced. Resolution isn't everything!

D&A

This doesn't surprise me either. I still say that the D3s/D4 are the best cameras Nikon has ever produced. Resolution isn't everything!
No it definitely isn't everything, although I wish the D4 had a bit more. If it had something approaching the 24MP of the D600, I would then have the combination of performance characteristics I need for a number of particular shoots that have very specific requirements. Of course at a lower price point than $6000.00 wouldn't hurt either (well it is the season for giving...LOL!)

Dave (D&A)

Last edited: