The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Who got a D600?

Swissblad

Am seriously thinking about it - will play with one next week and then decide.
Could be a nice small compact hiking camera.
Then again, so could the Fuji XE-1....:)

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Uwe,
Forget about the image quality. It will be as good as any other 24MP 35mm camera or better. Nothing sensational, but what is nowadays? But when it comes to size and ergonomics, it's amazingly good. I tried it next to the F6, my favourite 35mm camera so far, and it's... almost as good :D

pophoto

Uwe,
Forget about the image quality. It will be as good as any other 24MP 35mm camera or better. Nothing sensational, but what is nowadays? But when it comes to size and ergonomics, it's amazingly good. I tried it next to the F6, my favourite 35mm camera so far, and it's... almost as good :D
I dunno Jorgen, if we are to trust DXO Mark, the sensor may be quite substantially better than the 5D Mark III. :p

Also, it's quite easy to over look how good the D600 might actually with the D800 and its large shadow (MP size).

I think anyone looking to upgrade and doesn't have the D800 and doesn't want that size to post process, I actually think this is the real D700 upgrade. Sure the AF doesn't sound as great, but I hope it's close! It also won't be so demanding on the lenses, and 24MP is still very good!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Forget about the image quality. It will be as good as any other 24MP 35mm camera or better.

I am not worried but just wanted to play with some real world raws (have test raws though).

D&A

I dunno Jorgen, if we are to trust DXO Mark, the sensor may be quite substantially better than the 5D Mark III. :p

Also, it's quite easy to over look how good the D600 might actually with the D800 and its large shadow (MP size).

I think anyone looking to upgrade and doesn't have the D800 and doesn't want that size to post process, I actually think this is the real D700 upgrade. Sure the AF doesn't sound as great, but I hope it's close! It also won't be so demanding on the lenses, and 24MP is still very good!
I cannot speak for image quality from this new offering from Nikon, but I would have to respectfully disagree that on paper, this body doesn't appear to be a D700 upgrade/successor. Many I know catagorize a D700 successor being in a body not unlike the D800 (or D700 for that matter) and then essentially being the smaller brother to a D4, like the D700 was to the D3. With 24mp, it's higher ISO performance might not reach D4 levels but it would have to be significantly superior to the D800 and approaching the D4...as well as the frame rate and some other performance features emulating the D4 in many ways. Thats what many are looking for in a D700 successor and a true companion/alternative camera to use alongside a D800 for a different set of performance characteristics.

Thats not to say the D600 isn't a welcomed addition and might very well be a very good camera for it's balanced approach to file size/compactness and higher ISO performance, but I think some are still waiting for the "real" D700 successor to show up. Whether it does or not, is anyone's guess.

Dave (D&A)

pophoto

I cannot speak for image quality from this new offering from Nikon, but I would have to respectfully disagree that on paper, this body doesn't appear to be a D700 upgrade/successor. Many I know catagorize a D700 successor being in a body not unlike the D800 (or D700 for that matter) and then essentially being the smaller brother to a D4, like the D700 was to the D3. With 24mp, it's higher ISO performance might not reach D4 levels but it would have to be significantly superior to the D800 and approaching the D4...as well as the frame rate and some other performance features emulating the D4 in many ways. Thats what many are looking for in a D700 successor and a true companion/alternative camera to use alongside a D800 for a different set of performance characteristics.

Thats not to say the D600 isn't a welcomed addition and might very well be a very good camera for it's balanced approach to file size/compactness and higher ISO performance, but I think some are still waiting for the "real" D700 successor to show up. Whether it does or not, is anyone's guess.

Dave (D&A)
Sorry I wasn't clear and agree with you, I was meant to say 24MP sensor. Although strictly speaking, neither are, since the D700 was originally viewed a mini D3, so while neither are 16MP from the D4, the D600 shouldn't be viewed as a lesser camera in terms of IQ, definitely holding its own against the D4 if not in its capabilities.

While I agree with you if they made 24MP D800 body, with faster fps, and same D4 AF system, that'll be quite camera, although I'm not sure what D800 owners would feel!

D&A

Sorry I wasn't clear and agree with you, I was meant to say 24MP sensor. Although strictly speaking, neither are, since the D700 was originally viewed a mini D3, so while neither are 16MP from the D4, the D600 shouldn't be viewed as a lesser camera in terms of IQ, definitely holding its own against the D4 if not in its capabilities.

While I agree with you if they made 24MP D800 body, with faster fps, and same D4 AF system, that'll be quite camera, although I'm not sure what D800 owners would feel!
I think most D800 owners would be very happy to have a D700 successor as described. 36mp is significantly different in terms of resolution than 24mp and the higher ISO performing and faster frame rates of this supposedly D700 successor would make a great companion camera to the D800, for those that like to have two cameras or a backup with different capabilities.

For those that want a much smaller and lighter travel body and do not need faster frame rates and performance, the D600 fits the bill very nicely, all things considered.

I can see a need fro both a D600 and a real D700 successor. The D4 could still hold advantages such as the D3s had a fair amount of advantages over the D700...not a whole lot in many key areas but enough for many to choose the D3s (not D3) over the D700. Thats how I ould see a D4 vs. this D700 successor.

Dave (D&A)

pophoto

Again, I agree with about the D3s, that was a really good upgrade!
However, I could see a real successor still to have more MP than 16mp, something I feel quite strongly about! Now I'm not sure it will ever come, the market bridges way too many gaps, and will limit performance or buttons just to fit the grade!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
With current sensor technology, find 24MP the perfect compromise for a 35mm sensor. Handling is and individual thing, but I find the D600 body far superior to either the D700 or the D800 body for anything except sports photography where a more advanced AF would be of interest. With large zoom lenses, the size doesn't matter so much, but with a set of primes, like 28/50/85, the D600 is just perfect.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>like 28/50/85,

I have the 50mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8. Right now the 28mm f/1.8 is on my list. I may not end up buying because we have the D800 and the Canon 5D2 as our second DSLR body.

V

Vivek

In the EU, the lowest price is ~1100 Euros lower than the yet unavailable SOny A99.

Very substantial!

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
After having tried the D600 and seen a number of photos taken with it at an assortment of ISOs, it seems to be so perfect for my needs that it's almost boring. It fits perfectly between the D300/D2Xs duo that I use for sports and the F6 that I use for film. I've said it before and I might as well repeat it: Nikon is like Volvo. They don't make perfect cameras, but they are damn good, good enough to make a change of brands a rather pointless exercise.

So, I'm stacking pennies on top of each other, hoping that they'll reach the ceiling within a month or so :)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
After spending a couple of days with my D600 I'm very impressed overall with the build and performance of the camera. The lack of 100% zoom on the right selector is very distracting for me and I'm beginning to curse Nikon's marketing dept every time I press it and bring up the retouch menu! (They obviously left this as a D800 upgrade option!).

Initially I purchased a 24-85 VR to go with the camera since it seemed like a nice convenient AF option (all my other glass is Zeiss ZF manual focus). However, it only took 24 hrs for me to swap that out for the FAR superior 24-120/4 VR. This lens sings on the D600 plus works well on my D800 IR without a noticeable hot spot or LCC with an IR filter or hot mirror UV/IR filter. I wasn't sure how well this would work with 24mp and 36mp but so far it seems very sharp.

Since the D600 is my colour/travel DSLR I also added the MB-D14 grip. This is well made and fits like a glove on the body in the same solid way that the D700 version did. (Or for comparison - the total opposite of how embarrassingly bad the Phase One grip fits on the DF body!! :mad: ). No speed improvement but it handles extremely well with the extra grip. For me it's an option that I may remove when I travel but having the 2x EN15 powering the camera batteries is nice for extended use without access to recharging.

I'll post some pics once I've found something not too boring & snap-shotish. So far though I LIKE it. Now I can dedicate my converted D800 fully to IR and use the D600 for everything else.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>However, it only took 24 hrs for me to swap that out for the FAR superior 24-120/4 VR.

Good info. The 24-120mm f/4 VR is also quite good with the D800 considering that range. So I hope it may work well on the D600.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
>However, it only took 24 hrs for me to swap that out for the FAR superior 24-120/4 VR.

Good info. The 24-120mm f/4 VR is also quite good with the D800 considering that range. So I hope it may work well on the D600.
I think that it's fair to say that the extra $700 in the 24-120 VR went somewhere. ;) I did like the smaller size though. It was just that I immediately didn't feel like the lens was up to the demands of the sensor. The 24-120 VR was an immediate improvement (at least compared to my copy of the 24-85VR).