The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D800 issues when using 10+ ND Filter

K

KatieO

Just curious if anyone has come up against issues when shooting with the D800 in combination with a 10 stop filter. I am using a B+W filter with poor results- a purple cast covering the entire center of the frame.

Shashin

I use B+W ND filters and they exhibit a lot of IR contamination. I found an IR cut filter helps it a great deal.

I don't have any central spot. I do know if I do not cover my viewfinder, I get stray light though the viewfinder causing light leaks and ruining my exposure--you can see the line to the right on some of the images in the link (a GetDPI thread in the MFD section). Try putting a cap or cover over your viewfinder.

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/mediu...ter-removing-ir-contamination-nd-filters.html

The spot might also be an internal reflection from the lens/filter. Does this only happen with a particular lens?

IR contamination is a fairly common problem with filter with lot of ND.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Just curious if anyone has come up against issues when shooting with the D800 in combination with a 10 stop filter. I am using a B+W filter with poor results- a purple cast covering the entire center of the frame.
Hi, Closing the viewfinder will prevent the light leaking into the camera. It happened to me before when I first got the D800E.
Pramote

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Katie,

You need to invest in IR cut ND filters. I recommend and use the Tiffen brand, available from in most popular strengths. My typical reco is a 6-stop (1.8) and a 3-stop (.9). Generally 9 stops is needed to get a sunny exposure on moving water down to 1 second at ISO 100, but early morning or late evening conditions can get by with 6. Big advantage of 6-stop is you can still see through it to compose and frame, then add the 3-stop over that as required. A single 9-stop (2.1) is a fine choice as well. B&H generally has all of these in stock and in most popular sizes.

K

KatieO

Hi All-
Thanks for the info. I actually used a Tiffen ND, as well, with the same results. However, as it was a filter from a friend, I have no idea if it was an IR cut ND filter. When I switched to a 2nd D800 body, I had no issue.

I have sent my camera back to Nikon Tech Support for service. In the meantime, I will look into the IR cut filters. As I am NYC based, B&H is just down the block.

Again, thanks for the feedback!!
Katie

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Something else to consider is the lens being used too. The coatings on various lenses such as Zeiss and AIS glass often exhibit greater IR transmission in the centre vs toward the edges, resulting in bright center spots. I have an IR full spectrum converted D800 and have had this with various glass. You are likely seeing a similar effects with IR sensitivity with ND exposures.

K

KatieO

I tend to play it safe. Only own Nikkor lenses. Was shooting with a 24-70mm f/2.8 and a 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses for these shots.

johnnygoesdigital

KatieO,

The IR advice is good, but I'm almost certain it's the eyepiece being left open. I was in New England recently, and the same magenta cast was in my photos, until I closed the eyepiece shutter. If you look carefully at your posted images, you'll notice they all have the same horizontal shape in about the same place in all frames.

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
I second what Jack said. I use the Tiffen IR ND filters and have not had any of those problems (on Jack's suggestion I might add).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Btw, if you shoot very long exposures with the 24-70 I recommend putting a piece of gaffer tape over the DOF/focus indictor window on the lens. The baffles are not 100% light tight and eventually you'll get light leak through from there.

The more long exposure shooting you do the more you'll run into any potential light leaks in the camera and lenses. The eyepiece is absolutely the first candidate for closing up and I know some folks who'll even put a piece of tape across that too even with the shutter window closed.