The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Shot with Nikon: James Balog's Chasing Ice

JimCollum

Just saw a screening of Chasing Ice here at Apple:

Chasing Ice - Movie Trailers - iTunes

Shot with Nikon gear in some of the most extreme conditions for extended periods of time by James Balog.

Probably one of the most breathtaking, and horrifying films I've seen....

It's actually amazing the conditions that Nikon D200's can and have endured.

Shelby Frisch

Subscriber Member
It is horrifying, the Arctic is sort of the world's canary in the coal mine for the rest of the world. These changes are happening much faster than was anticipated by the numerical climate models, at least those of a few years ago.

JimCollum

There's no way you can watch this movie and leave thinking that global warming is all about manipulating computer simulations and statistics. (although I imagine there will be those who insist he Photoshopped the entire project).

To watch on the big screen, a chunk of ice larger than all of Manhattan (and significantly taller than any building there), calve off of the main glacier, roll over on it's side, and shatter into thousands of smaller pieces, is unbelievable. (it was the first time a calve of this magnitude was ever filmed )

The photographic evidence goes way beyond what your mind might come up with when listening to prior talks about it.

(and in addition.. it shows some incredible photography along with cinematography...

sorry.. i'm i awe of this guy and his team after watching the movie.

D&A

Very cool!
Yes, in more ways than one! If this (global warming) is in part due to "mans" effect on our enviorment, I hope we remove politics from the debate and realize it's worth doing all we can to preserve the delicate balance of nature.

I'm looking forrward to the film on many levels and the images most certainly look breathtaking. I'm in awe of his work. Thank you for posting the link!

Dave (D&A)

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Awe inspiringly depressing. I'm looking forward to seeing the final movie and unfortunately comparing it to the TED video examples of 2009. Hopefully it is balanced enough to convince folks that even IF some parts of the planet are accumulating ice, the net result is climate change and negative climate and oceanic change for the vast majority of us. Very sobering and in our lifetimes too.

Thanks for sharing.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
In this part of the world, the monsoon rain has been increasing year by year the last decade, and the floodings get increasingly worse, one of the long predicted results of global warming. Unfortunately, few politicians here or anywhere else seem to be able to connect the dots. The primes minister in this country even went as far last year as saying that there would be no more floods...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

As Michiel Schierbeek says in his signature: "If we don't change our ways, we end up where we're heading".

johnnygoesdigital

Hypsithermal intervals/pole shifts, have been occurring for thousands of years...long before man was eager to contribute- the formation of Cape Cod, Long Island, (moraines), are prime examples of a glacier's range. Adding a few billion humans to the mix, and no doubt this changes exponentially. This film will perhaps bridge the gap between those who've exploited this science for political gain, from those who understand the need for better alternatives.

Shashin

We have possum in Maine. Possum are not indigenous to the State. We are seeing more and more bird species that never came this far North. We are having insects migrating into the State that would have never survived our winters and causing serious problems. The maple syrup industry has seen negative impacts to annual yield. There is no known natural cause for this trend. People can make a difference.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Saw the movie tonight in Portland. I highly recommend spending a couple of quality hours to see and support this excellent film and keep up the awareness. One of Jame's assistants was present at the screening and gave an intro and Q&A too.

Chasing Ice

Just found this old thread. Remarkable and horrifying film ... and quite beautiul.

I liked the brief scene where they were opneing what looked like dozens of brand new dslr boxes, getting ready to send them off to solitary confinement in hell ...