The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Samyang 14mm

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea you should have PT as you will run into shots you want to correct. Even landscape shots. It does distort really ugly but PT does fix the mustache distortion pretty well.

Tektrader

Unfortunately I use NX2 for raw conversion and most of my editing. So no easy way to plug in. But apart from that I really like how NX2 works and I am getting quite fluent with it.

I was trying to minimise the number of programs I am using. The other editor I use is Paint shop pro who's raw converter sucks, but I find easy to use for tweaking.

Tried Light Room and Photo Shop but both werent intuitive to me and I quickly dumped them.

Only other raw converter I tried and quite liked besides NX2 was C1.

I nearly bought the old version when it was on sale during Photokina, turned out good thing I didnt, as they released the new version a few days later.

Maybe C1 is in my future?

ccroft

I'm pretty sure PT also works as a standalone app, so you can use your current workflow and then run PT on the output of the raw converter, as long as it's jpeg or tiff.

Speaking of raw converters, are you guys saying that neither LightRoom nor C1 can correct this lens properly? Tim seems to say that he prefers PT correction to LightRoom's. Or maybe LR doesn't have the lens profiled yet?

Guy Mancuso

C1 does NOT have any lens corrections for the Samyang nor any Zeiss (35mm lenses)lenses actually they never had any outside phase and Hassy glass. Version 7 now is starting to carry lens corrections for Nikon, Canon and I think Sony. As update come I expect to see more.

Pt lens can be used as a plugin for Photoshop or Lightroom. But you can also use it as a stand alone app which requires no raw processor at all just Tifs and Jpegs.

I use it as a plugin for photoshop and it has corrections for all my Zeiss glass and the Samyang. It's actually quite fast and easy . As a plugin it is under filters in photoshop.

Now let me step back in the lens correction tab in C1 you can still use purple fringing and Ca on any lens and also for distortion but its purely barrel only with manual sliders . The Samyang also has moustache also so you really need PT to correct both barrel and moustache.

Right now PT is the best solution for this lens and also my Zeiss glass as a C1 user. Not sure and I doubt LR does not either.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I'm pretty sure PT also works as a standalone app, so you can use your current workflow and then run PT on the output of the raw converter, as long as it's jpeg or tiff.

Speaking of raw converters, are you guys saying that neither LightRoom nor C1 can correct this lens properly? Tim seems to say that he prefers PT correction to LightRoom's. Or maybe LR doesn't have the lens profiled yet?
LR doesn't have the Sammy profiled yet but I understand that you can download profiles. These might be a bit 'home brew' but I'll try and report back...

tashley

Subscriber Member
OK update here: I downloaded Adobe's stuff for finding and creating lens profiles and I find that there are none available for the Samyang so it looks like PT is the only game in town... no biggie: a lot of the files need no correction and PT is quick, cheap and very effective for those that do, though obviously applying the correction in LR would be easier and wouldn't require the creation of additional tiffs...

LonnaTucker

OK update here: I downloaded Adobe's stuff for finding and creating lens profiles and I find that there are none available for the Samyang so it looks like PT is the only game in town... no biggie: a lot of the files need no correction and PT is quick, cheap and very effective for those that do, though obviously applying the correction in LR would be easier and wouldn't require the creation of additional tiffs...
Ashley, I've read elsewhere that there is a Lightroom lens distortion profile for the "Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC for Nikon" on Adobe Lens Profile Downloader. It's the same lens as the Samyang 14mm with different branding.

I've tried several times to install Adobe Lens Profile Downloader found here:
Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1
but keep getting an error message "Sorry, an error has occurred. This application can't be installed because this installer has been mis-configured."
(Thanks Adobe)

I've also reinstalled Adobe Air but the profile downloader still won't install, so I can't access the profile. Does anyone else have the issue on a Mac with OSX 10.7.4?

danielmoore

An alternative to PTLens is PTGui pano stitching program. You can create your own profile by assigning horizontal and/or vertical control points to a single image and saving the correction values as a lens preset for quick future use. It's a simple matter to correct convergence by dragging the image in the desired direction(s) in the editor window. Lastly, the interpolator options are many and I've found using Sinc 36 or Sinc 256 produce results with the D800E that return the file to it's original high microcontrast, PS's bicubic seems to dull slightly at the pixel level after significant corrections are applied. This is nit picking but I wanted to bring it up since many PTGui owners already have PTLen's ability and a little more.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hi Daniel, thanks for your PM on this to my blog... I haven't tried PTGui for this but it strikes me that the danger with this is inexact levelling to target. Even if one manages to get the vertical and horizontal axes levelled to an extent more accurate than the D800 inbuilt system allows (it's not very accurate) there is still the issue of exactly how parallel the sensor is to the target plane. With very wide lenses, even tiny errors here, which are pretty much inevitable outside a lab, are going to cook errors into the resulting correction profile and then apply them to all subsequent files. So unless you treat these correction profiles like LCC shots, making individual ones for each shot, they will just be a source or errors I think? And of course, most subjects don't have sufficiently reliable verticals and horizontals in them to allow this level of individual correction. Just a thought?

ShooterSteve

Great samples and discussion here guys, thanks. But how does this Samyang 14mm compare to the Nikon 14-24 which has a stellar reputation? I need something in the 14-15mm range and other than the Zeiss 15, would love to know what you guys think.

anGy

Did anyone of you test the resulting sharpness after ptlens correction applied to the 14mm Samy ?
Sharpness is strong before, wonder what's left after lens distortion correction.

danielmoore

PTLens and PTGui created profiles use the same methodology, assigning straight line type control points to what should be straight lines. I'm not sure if left/right/up/down convergence due to a non planar sensor to subject is a significant factor as long as one assumes the top and bottom as well as left and right are symmetrical, an unsafe assumption but that's what have to work with. Shooting a grid of straight lines while angled to it should result in the same profile as when being plane parallel with it. If anyone knows more about PanoTools, I'm open to correction.

Tektrader

has anyone tried the Samyang 24mm and managed to get a good one?

I would love to have the Zeiss 21mm but its a bit pricey

markhout

Just received the Groupon Rokinon 14mm for $340 incl tax (see my post above).

Not bad at all! Here is a low contrast scene (I am quite convinced that high contrast works well). There is a wee bit of misalignment - the right edge/corner has more distortion than the left.

D800E @ 8.0. Processed in LR, then PTLens:

Guy Mancuso

I just renovated my office . Painted and put new tile down and all new furniture. Need to hang some images on the wall but thought I would take a shot of it with the 14mm. I did correct this with PT lens only. I painted the walls and ceiling about a 40 percent grey card. LOL. I don't normally keep the fan lights on

Guy Mancuso

Btw look how clean the lines are after PT. I'm telling you this lens maybe a good interior lens after all. Folks you should really order one.