Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Samyang 14mm

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Samyang 14mm

Okay I'm nuts but read a few pretty good reports on it so i ordered one last night. I am going straight to Zion with it so next week i will post some shots and give you some thoughts on it. I also picked up the Sigma 150 2.8 macro and 1.4 converter to go with it. Also replaced my Zeiss 18 ZF with the ZF.2

Once again i'm playing the guinea pig role. Does this ever end.

BTW the Sigma 150 2.8 at F5.6 is stellar. F4 its really good and 2.8 its good but 5.6 kicks butt.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Samyang 14mm

Hi Guy

That's why so many have been proponents if the Sigma 150, especially when the non OS version was available at under $500!

You should see it's performance at 1:1 macro. That's where it really shines and is in the top 10% of macro lenses in the 35mm format.

The sample of the 14mm Samyang I shot with had very high central resolution with good sides and edges. Definitely a best buy. Of course in order to achieve this level of performance at this price level, something had to give and so it has an extraordinary amounts of barrel distortion which may or may not be an issue, depending what one uses it for.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 10th October 2012 at 21:41.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dave from what read the distortion which is nasty no question can be fixed with PT lens plugin. I'll probably use this more as a creative lens than a rectilinear style lens if you know what I mean. The 18 for me is more the interiors style with a easy correction. This is very inexpensive and I figured worth trying it out . For 429 almost nuts not to try it . I think Jack ordered one too. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

For $429, it was a no brainer when used on a 12 MP full frame DSLR, as long as one knew of it's limitations. Of course for landscape work with no recognizable straight lines, esepcially near sides and edges, a lot can be done with the lens...even without use of the PT lens correction. The lens sometimes borders on being a semi fisheye. Yes, agree, for serious interior work, a better corrected lens like the Zeiss 18mm is in order.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love my Samyang 14 it has fantastic rendering and is very very sharp across the frame.

Its just got that SOMETHING.

Hard to shoot horizons using the rule of thirds due to the distortion. But even if you do not use PT plug in's to 100% fix the distortion. You can do a good enough job just using the DIY distortion controls in NX2 without getting it perfect.

I think you will like it Guy. I do. Build quality is really nice and the focus control reminds me of AIS Nikkors. Very smooth and nice to use, highly geared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Drove from Phoenix to St. George Utah this morning and stopped and shot some Joshua trees on the way with sunrise and on LCD looks wonderful. I did a couple test shots late yesterday and PT lens cleans it up nicely. So far very impressed.

Post Thanks / Like

Can we see some samples Guy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll get some up been scouting and driving all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay this was a very quick handheld shot at 5.6 . First one here is without any corrections

Now same image brought into PS applied the PT lens correction than went in and made a vertical perspective correction of -10 and it cleans up very nice without cropping very much to the image. I would say if i was on a tripod and leveled correctly I may not have as much vertical correction which crops more than the PT lens correction which seems very minimal image loss on just that alone but together here is what we get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As you can see I do lose a little but I'm willing to give up some with a lens this wide.

Now for the good news . Its exactly the same size as a Zeiss 18mm with the hood on and not looking at the specs it seems lighter to boot at just over a pound. Than kick in the fact its 2500 less than the Zeiss 15mm and 25 percent less than the 14-24 and getting very sharp images its a no brainer. I got a few more shots to load here/

BTW Im focused on the windows and even the foreground came up nice.

It does have kind of odd focusing if there is a downside and I may just have to get used to it. Hard to describe in short shooting time but give me another day or so and I will have a more firm opinion on that. I would say stop reading and order it. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These two are without any corrections shot at F8 or F11. I may have went a little cool here im on laptop in my hotel room at 3 am in the morning. My eyes maybe off here. LOL

This I did do PT lens correction on

Very sharp lens. And corners look very good. I need a building to fully test that but so far looking good. Also i am about a foot or so away from the decoration here and very close to those Joshua trees

Okay back to bed , long day ahead.

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Looks great Guy, does the second shot have sensor dust on the right side?.......The 3AM thing...LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It may. Thanks I will clean it before heading out in morning. I admit I'm spoiled with a 30 inch monitor. Lol

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, Typical performance from the Samyang 14mm. If one can work with it's limitations in some shooting circumstances and can work with its known distortions, it most definitely is a fantastic buy and useful lens to have in the bag. Nikon's old AF 14mm is long in the tooth and has lagged far behind with regards to needing an optical update for current DSL's, especially the newer high MP ones.

Thanks for posting these example Guy.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll have more later. I shot this morning with it and the Zeiss 18 same scene and 14 is really wide . Nice Drama lens why I bought it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Samyang 14mm

Samyang 14mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Oops need to clone a camera shadow . Will do later. LOL

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

What's interesting Guy is its a bit hard to know exactly just how really wide these two shots are, since recognizable points of reference with regards to subject scale and their relationship to other items in the frame is often not present in these types of landscape and nature shots. Different than say taking shots of a downtown city street with all the usual surrounding elements (cars, buildings people etc.). In these last two posted shots, I can imagine just how close you were to objects in the foreground.....in other words, your feet should have been soaking wet when taking that shot of the stream....LOL!

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly when I get a chance I did the 18 mm also from same spot so I can show the difference . That water shot those rocks are about 1.5 ft away. The landscape the big rock on left us maybe 7 ft away. Your close to everything with this lens which takes a lot of care to deal with. Neither shot is corrected either. So sometimes you can use the distortion for effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

U was actually sitting on a rock in the stream

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

These are not final images to show but they are right after a lens change so i did not move the camera. Just wanted to show the FOV after PT lens corrections of the Zeiss 18 and Samyang 14mm. I may have tweaked it a little but pretty close for comparison reasons. I cant remember what I did exactly but thinking back on it . I had to get up go to the stream bank and get the other lens to make the change.

Samyang 14mm

Zeiss 18

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    These are not final images to show but they are right after a lens change so i did not move the camera. Just wanted to show the FOV after PT lens corrections of the Zeiss 18 and Samyang 14mm. I may have tweaked it a little but pretty close for comparison reasons. I cant remember what I did exactly but thinking back on it . I had to get up go to the stream bank and get the other lens to make the change.

Samyang 14mm

Zeiss 18

This is just my opinion, but in terms of composition and overall effect, the Samyang wins hands down..no contest! Shows that even though the Zeiss 18mm is wide, sometimes an ultra wide is necessary to achieve a certain look and overall effectiveness to an image. Interesting comparsion for this particular scene.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree Dave the 14 wins the day on this one

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guy nice work, lens looks like a winner. Looks like you are using a Gitzo tripod, quest any problems with your legs not being able to retract all the way in? Happened once before now have another leg that will not go all the way in and binds making it hard to extract when needed. First leg cost almost $300 to repair and they said it was not warrantied. ( BS ) I use the tripod around the water allot so it's getting wet often still at the cost of one of these I am not too impressed, especially for around $1000

Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually I am using a Really Right Stuff Series 2 tripod which I really like a lot but a very pricey one at almost 1k.

Here is a link to tripod. http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductD...-Tripod&key=it

I also use a Arca Swiss Z1 DP head. Which i am going to sell as soon as I can find the new replacement head coming out but who knows when that will hit the streets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Samyang 14mm with 5 shot focus stack. I am extremely close to this

Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going have to go to one of those trips you organize.. That amazing, you provably having so much fun..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well I am just going to come out and say it after a whole week with this lens and a lot of shooting with it. This maybe the best bargain price lens i ever shot but the images are NOT bargain pricing . This thing is sharp and yes it has a lot of distortion in it but easily fixed when you really need too it is worth getting. I am really impressed by what I got as far as image quality. For 429 dollars you be nuts not to be packing one.

Post Thanks / Like

My Samyang has arrived. Crikey. What an amazing good piece of kit: amazingly for the money or just amazing outright, either way, amazing. Everyone should get one. Thanks to Guy for the heads up!

I have tied the PT corrections and they are very good but still not quite perfect enough for very rigorous architectural work - but then very few lenses are well qualified for that. However, on landscapes, most scenes don't even need the corrections. I have found that on an eye-level tripod and levelled correctly, set at F8 and focussed on the start of the infinity line, or maybe just a nudge further towards the infinity symbol, everything is sharp from edge to edge and even to the corners of the ground under your feet. Micro contrast is great, 3D pop is lovely, I like the colours and gosh, I am now just gushing.

A lens that makes you really enjoy the D800.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That famous line. I told ya so. LOL

Glad you are enjoying it and saved me about 2500 from the Zeiss 15mm at least for now. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta say that with the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 and the Samyang, I feel I have the wide end covered pretty much as well as I need now. Maybe not perfection, maybe Zeiss's new line of high-end lenses will push the boat even further, but these two will let me do the stuff I want to do. All I need now is to get Nikon to fix my 24-120 properly then I have that with the 28F1.8G as a casual travel kit, I have the 70-100 to add to that mix when travelling less light, I have the Zeiss 100 Makro Planar for great results in non-contrasty landscapes, I have the 85G for a great low light portrait lens. The only thing missing is a good wide TS lens. I am starting to feel that the Nikon kit has matured into something that covers the great majority if my needs.

You know exactly what that means...

The new 40mp Canon will be announced within a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

56mpx but hey its only pixels. Honestly I am screaming happy with my kit. I will admit i want my 200 F2 back though. I knew that when I sold it. Ill rent it for LA when I really need it

Post Thanks / Like

Only pixels? Are you kidding me. Pixels, done well, are our future. I'm a bitch for oversampling....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Fantastic lens the Samyang 14mm. I love it. If only the sAMYANG 24 was as good I wouldnt have to buy the 14-24 f2.8 ONE DAY.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm still getting used to it but it is just a whole barrel of fun. Focus takes a bit of adjusting to because pretty much everything in the finder look sharp, wherever the focus ring, so what I do is, if it's mainly an eye-level landscape I just set it to F8 and set the focus to the near part of the infinity range. If there are closer elements I set it to just over 3 metres. If there's significant very close detail, i.e. less than 2 metres, I focus by eye and it seems to work. I keep on effortlessly getting edge to edge, corner to corner sharp, which is pretty hard to do on any wides with the D800.

PT lens corrections are really good, I just ran out of trial uses and will now buy it: at $25 it's a snip and works as a LR external editor really well. I take back what I said about using it for architectural: as long as you level up really carefully to start with, the results are great. Here are a few shots, uncorrected and then corrected...

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

some more...

and one just because I am loving getting near to far at high resolution..

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks good Tim. I actually had thoughts of selling my Zeiss 18mm and Zeiss 25mm and get the Zeiss 21mm since this damn 14mm is so good. Than I would have 14, 21, 35 , 50 and so on but i hate to sell the 18 and 25 especially the 25mm. Ill just stay pat for now but the 14mm is a barrel of fun and damn sharp. I agree PT lens does a excellent job of cleaning it up.

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, I think that's a great combo - it's what I currently have. It is taking longer to get used to the Zeiss 21: it has a reputation as being pretty flat field but actually as you stop down the curvature becomes more apparent. I think the best thing is to shoot with it hyper focally, and to largely set it at or close to infinity, otherwise distant edges get soft.

Here's a couple from an evening stroll. Over-processed but I was having fun, which is always a great sign with a new lens...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another one, I havent bought the PT plug in yet. The DR of the D800 is really impressive but even so there are some photos that really test it.

I was about 5 foot away from the front of the house. 14mm is seriously wide.

Post Thanks / Like

You must try PT: it's much better than just using a generic slider because it can also deal with the moustache sub-style, as in the poolhouse shot above. The combination of this lens, the D800 and PT is just great! But it looks like you know that already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea you should have PT as you will run into shots you want to correct. Even landscape shots. It does distort really ugly but PT does fix the mustache distortion pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Unfortunately I use NX2 for raw conversion and most of my editing. So no easy way to plug in. But apart from that I really like how NX2 works and I am getting quite fluent with it.

I was trying to minimise the number of programs I am using. The other editor I use is Paint shop pro who's raw converter sucks, but I find easy to use for tweaking.

Tried Light Room and Photo Shop but both werent intuitive to me and I quickly dumped them.

Only other raw converter I tried and quite liked besides NX2 was C1.

I nearly bought the old version when it was on sale during Photokina, turned out good thing I didnt, as they released the new version a few days later.

Maybe C1 is in my future?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty sure PT also works as a standalone app, so you can use your current workflow and then run PT on the output of the raw converter, as long as it's jpeg or tiff.

Speaking of raw converters, are you guys saying that neither LightRoom nor C1 can correct this lens properly? Tim seems to say that he prefers PT correction to LightRoom's. Or maybe LR doesn't have the lens profiled yet?
    Charles Croft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

C1 does NOT have any lens corrections for the Samyang nor any Zeiss (35mm lenses)lenses actually they never had any outside phase and Hassy glass. Version 7 now is starting to carry lens corrections for Nikon, Canon and I think Sony. As update come I expect to see more.

Pt lens can be used as a plugin for Photoshop or Lightroom. But you can also use it as a stand alone app which requires no raw processor at all just Tifs and Jpegs.

I use it as a plugin for photoshop and it has corrections for all my Zeiss glass and the Samyang. It's actually quite fast and easy . As a plugin it is under filters in photoshop.

Now let me step back in the lens correction tab in C1 you can still use purple fringing and Ca on any lens and also for distortion but its purely barrel only with manual sliders . The Samyang also has moustache also so you really need PT to correct both barrel and moustache.

Right now PT is the best solution for this lens and also my Zeiss glass as a C1 user. Not sure and I doubt LR does not either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft View Post
    I'm pretty sure PT also works as a standalone app, so you can use your current workflow and then run PT on the output of the raw converter, as long as it's jpeg or tiff.

Speaking of raw converters, are you guys saying that neither LightRoom nor C1 can correct this lens properly? Tim seems to say that he prefers PT correction to LightRoom's. Or maybe LR doesn't have the lens profiled yet?
    LR doesn't have the Sammy profiled yet but I understand that you can download profiles. These might be a bit 'home brew' but I'll try and report back...

Post Thanks / Like

OK update here: I downloaded Adobe's stuff for finding and creating lens profiles and I find that there are none available for the Samyang so it looks like PT is the only game in town... no biggie: a lot of the files need no correction and PT is quick, cheap and very effective for those that do, though obviously applying the correction in LR would be easier and wouldn't require the creation of additional tiffs...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    OK update here: I downloaded Adobe's stuff for finding and creating lens profiles and I find that there are none available for the Samyang so it looks like PT is the only game in town... no biggie: a lot of the files need no correction and PT is quick, cheap and very effective for those that do, though obviously applying the correction in LR would be easier and wouldn't require the creation of additional tiffs...
    Ashley, I've read elsewhere that there is a Lightroom lens distortion profile for the "Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC for Nikon" on Adobe Lens Profile Downloader. It's the same lens as the Samyang 14mm with different branding.

I've tried several times to install Adobe Lens Profile Downloader found here:
    Adobe - Adobe Lens Profile Downloader : For Macintosh : Adobe Lens Profile Downloader 1.0.1
    but keep getting an error message "Sorry, an error has occurred. This application can't be installed because this installer has been mis-configured."
    (Thanks Adobe)

I've also reinstalled Adobe Air but the profile downloader still won't install, so I can't access the profile. Does anyone else have the issue on a Mac with OSX 10.7.4?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An alternative to PTLens is PTGui pano stitching program. You can create your own profile by assigning horizontal and/or vertical control points to a single image and saving the correction values as a lens preset for quick future use. It's a simple matter to correct convergence by dragging the image in the desired direction(s) in the editor window. Lastly, the interpolator options are many and I've found using Sinc 36 or Sinc 256 produce results with the D800E that return the file to it's original high microcontrast, PS's bicubic seems to dull slightly at the pixel level after significant corrections are applied. This is nit picking but I wanted to bring it up since many PTGui owners already have PTLen's ability and a little more.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Daniel, thanks for your PM on this to my blog... I haven't tried PTGui for this but it strikes me that the danger with this is inexact levelling to target. Even if one manages to get the vertical and horizontal axes levelled to an extent more accurate than the D800 inbuilt system allows (it's not very accurate) there is still the issue of exactly how parallel the sensor is to the target plane. With very wide lenses, even tiny errors here, which are pretty much inevitable outside a lab, are going to cook errors into the resulting correction profile and then apply them to all subsequent files. So unless you treat these correction profiles like LCC shots, making individual ones for each shot, they will just be a source or errors I think? And of course, most subjects don't have sufficiently reliable verticals and horizontals in them to allow this level of individual correction. Just a thought?

Post Thanks / Like

Great samples and discussion here guys, thanks. But how does this Samyang 14mm compare to the Nikon 14-24 which has a stellar reputation? I need something in the 14-15mm range and other than the Zeiss 15, would love to know what you guys think.