The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss vs Leica

wolverine

Before I dump all of my Nikon gear, do the new zeiss lenses compete with Leica R? I am interested in the 35mm and the 100mm macro zeiss for Nikon mount. Thanks. Oh, and this is a great site already...

wolverine

Thanks fore the link. Interesting site. Not sure I want to spend $40, though, to get my answer. I will keep surfing for reviews.

D

DougDolde

There is a lot of info on the Zeiss lenses there without paying for the review. His reviews are very well done though.

woodyspedden

I think the issue here is not about competitiveness but about drawing style, colors, micro contrast etc. Typically Zeiss lenses are more contrasty than Leica, softer in the corners wide open etc. Both are fine products but how you want your images to look should dictate your choice IMO

Woody

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I have both the lenses you mention; they are excellent. The 100/2 may be the best lens I have ever used, and the bokeh is superb. It is razor sharp across the frame on an FX sensor. The 35/2 is very sharp across the frame, too.

I have to say, though, that I am thinking about selling all the ZFs I have apart from the 100/2, simply because the new Nikkor zooms are SO good. The convenience of truly accurate AF, incredible sharpness and great colour and contrast means that they are my first choice for everything bar macro. I should say that I take images for work—if I was shooting without a deadline, I would use primes, and the ZFs are the best I have used.

I paid for Lloyd's review; they definitely are worth the money—and if you are getting into the ZF range, you will have to spend money. Better, IMHO, to get real info from a guy who bought and reviewed (exhaustively) all the range BEFORE you spend that money.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thinking of selling your ZFs ... if only I lived in Australia :)
Unfortunately it is far too expensive in customs duty to buy gear outside EU when living in Denmark.
Kit, what can you tell us about the ZF 2.8/25 and 2/28, if you have bought them as well ?
A forum member had some questions about these in the "D3/D300 illustrated" thread in post # 6.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Steen,

I have the 25/2.8, but not the 28/2. To be frank, I have not used it much at all (long story). diglloyd reports that it is the most artistic of all of them in the way it draws (Sean's term seems to have universal currency these days, no?), but I cannot recall what results he got on the D3 (his original testing was on the 1DII).

One of my computers is down today (the one with his revised review that includes the 28/2), so cannot recall the precise details. I do know that Lloyd decided to keep the 25/2.8, despite it not being as sharp in the corners on FF as the other ZF, because he felt that it drew in a beautiful way, and that its field curvature could be exploited for certain images.

My problem with the 25/2.8 on the D300 is its 37.5mm EFOV. I see the world wider than that, but if the ~35 view is what you want, then it is a very fine lens. I have not put this lens on the D3 yet (what I bought it for); its true focal length is very appealing to me. I will let you know when I get a chance (too much paying work on right now). Cheers to all, kl

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Thinking of selling your ZFs ... if only I lived in Australia :)
Unfortunately it is far too expensive in customs duty to buy gear outside EU when living in Denmark.
Kit, what can you tell us about the ZF 2.8/25 and 2/28, if you have bought them as well ?
A forum member had some questions about these in the "D3/D300 illustrated" thread in post # 6.
After reading diglloyd's review (amongst others), I ordered a ZF 28/2 Distagon yesterday from B&H Photo, to use on a recently purchased D300. In the past couple of weeks I've also picked up Nikkor 28/2.8 and 28/2 AI-S lenses at reasonable prices on eBay. The 42mm EFoV with an APS-C sensor -- halfway between 35mm and 50mm -- feels exactly right to me. Because I've taken so many "macro" shots with my GRD, I wanted to compare the Nikkors (both of which have Close Range Correction) with the Zeiss 28mm. Once the Distagon arrives and I can set aside the time, I'll stage a 28mm shoot-out to decide which lens(es) I'll keep. Naturally I'll post the results.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Great Jonathon, I'm very much looking forward to see your results from that shoot-out !
You mean living in Australia you order ZF lenses from B&H Photo, like in New York ?
Is it your impression that the ZF 2/28 is on par with the 2/35, which by many is said to be exeptionally good ?

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
You mean living in Australia you order ZF lenses from B&H Photo, like in New York ?
Is it your impression that the ZF 2/28 is on par with the 2/35, which by many is said to be exeptionally good ?
One of my closest friends routinely buys Canon lenses from B&H Photo. Although I've purchased quite a number of items from B&H recently -- the kinds of accessories that are way overpriced in Australia -- this is the first lens. We'll see how it goes. I just bought a Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 from Stephen Gandy at CameraQuest -- he is excellent to deal with. An alternative source for the Zeiss ZF lenses is Matsuiyastore, who trade on eBay and have a very good reputation. Their price on the Zeiss 28/2 was originally about $100 more than B&H but when I just checked they'd lowered the price to about $15 more.

As for the 28/2 versus the 35/2, I have no direct experience. However, Lloyd Chambers (diglloyd) rates the 35/2 and 28/2 particularly highly. The 35/2 is of little interest to me on either a full-frame or APS-C sensor camera (too long on APS-C, not wide enough on full-frame). I'm basing my lens choices for the D300 on the probability that I'll eventually get a full-frame Nikon -- therefore no DX lenses (and no Zeiss 35/2) for me.

If you're seriously interested in the Zeiss ZF lenses, I totally agree with Kit Laughlin's earlier observation:

I paid for Lloyd's review; they definitely are worth the money—and if you are getting into the ZF range, you will have to spend money. Better, IMHO, to get real info from a guy who bought and reviewed (exhaustively) all the range BEFORE you spend that money.
Based on Lloyd's review and Kit's recommendation, the 100/2 Makro-Planar is next on my list.

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
Tony at Popflash is terrific to deal with and I've always seen good comments about him. I had a concern about an 85mm 1.4 ZF and he offered to send me another to compare against.
http://www.popflash.com/
Thank for this. I'd always associated Popflash with the Ricoh GRD but didn't realize that they stocked the Zeiss lenses too. Given that I've only ever heard positive feedback about Popflash, I probably would have purchased the 28/2 from Tony Rose rather than from B&H. Oh well, the 100/2 awaits...

gromitspapa

I hear you. I didn't know Popflash sold Ricoh until after I bought mine from Adorama (after already buying the ZF from Popflash)...