The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Tamron 70-300 VR - PLEASANT SURPRISE!

gurtch

Hi all:
Probably 90% of my work is with wide angle lenses, so I try to use the very best (using Nikon 14-24, Zeiss 18mm and Zeiss 35mm f2). For the rare times I use longer lenses, I purchased a VERY economical lens (had a $100 rebate). It is BETTER than adequate. Here is a low res JPG and low res 100% crop (actual pixels). Even at 300mm and f16, it is surprisingly good. Camera was the D800E VR was "ON".
Best regards
Dave in NJ

Last edited:

gurtch

Sorry. I did not do the 100% crop correctly. Let me try again.
Dave

Last edited:

D&A

Hi Dave,

I"ve been singing the praise of this lens for quite some time, especially here with posts on Getdpi. For it"s price, it's astonishingly and uniformly excellent throughout it's focal length range, even at 300, where it only has a touch of softness wide open. Seems well built and the VC mechanism although implemented quite differently than Nikon and takes some getting used to, performs well. A great travel lens or alternatively when something less bulky that a 70-200 f2.8 is needed.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Hi Dave,

I"ve been singing the praise of this lens for quite some time, especially here with posts on Getdpi. For it"s price, it's astonishingly and uniformly excellent throughout it's focal length range, even at 300, where it only has a touch of softness wide open. Seems well built and the VC mechanism although implemented quite differently than Nikon and takes some getting used to, performs well. A great travel lens or alternatively when something less bulky that a 70-200 f2.8 is needed.

Dave (D&A)
I agree, Dave. A very useful travel kit could be my Tamron 24-70 mm VR and Tamron 70-300 VR lenses. As a third lens I am thinking of my Nikon 50mm f1.8, or maybe my Zeiss 35 mm f2 for inside grab shots.
Regards
Dave in NJ

D&A

I agree, Dave. A very useful travel kit could be my Tamron 24-70 mm VR and Tamron 70-300 VR lenses. As a third lens I am thinking of my Nikon 50mm f1.8, or maybe my Zeiss 35 mm f2 for inside grab shots.
Regards
Dave in NJ
For a quick small zoom travel kit (for a Nikon body), that both performs well beyond whats expected, and at a unbelievably low price...I paired the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 (since I found a fantastic sample) along with the Tamron 70-300 VC lens. Of course substituting the new Tamron 24-70 f2.8 for the 28-75 f2.8 works just as well or better.

Dave (D&A)

drofnad

OUCH! --pricked my eyes on those sharp needles!

--of a rose hips plant, though, not "beach plum".
(which plants --rose hips, i.e.-- make for lovely winter subjects,
with their grey-brown curled leaves and bold orange fruit)

-drofnad

gurtch

Thanks drofnad. I have heard from old timers here that they used to pick beach plums and make jam with them. When i came upon these on the sand dunes, i made the assumption they were beach plums. I will look up rose hip plant.
Best regards, and thanks again.
Dave

Oamkumar

Today I tested Tamron 70-300 SP Di VC.. lens and I found it is a good one for the price. I could not do a detailed test, but was able to do a few shots inside the shop. high iso shots. The one I'm posting here is iso 6400, 200mm, f5.3, shutter speed 1/400 and camera was D800E. I think it will be a good option for those who want a telezoom with a tight budget. Image processed in Lightroom 4 noise reduction in Dfine2 and used raw output sharpner from Nik software

sample by oamkumar, on Flickr