The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon F2-AS- Worth trying out?

rich_

Hey guys,

My girlfriends dad has his old F2AS Black camera sitting in the basement that he was going to get rid of. She can sell it but offered it to me if I wanted to play. He has 3 or 4 lenses ranging from either a 35 or 50mm 1.8 to a few telephotos- (The pictures are crappy so hard to read)

It's in good working order but i'm wondering if this camera is worth playing around with.

I currently have a M9-P and haven't really shot with film, Is this a good SLR to learn some basics? It looks reasonably automated for light readings if I need.

Any comments appreciated!

Thanks
Rich

Oren Grad

Nikon's second-generation professional SLR, with the most advanced meter/finder that was offered for it. Big, heavy, built to take a beating. Loud shutter/mirror action. Manual metering only, unless you have the exotic and fairly klutzy DS-12 EE Aperture Control accessory.

Other than situations where you need a small, discreet camera or you need automation, it can do anything you'd want a 35mm camera to do. Whether the feel and handling are to your taste is up to you.

Paul T

Hi Rich,
I agree with Oren.

The F2 series of cameras is a joy to use. The viewfinder is nice and bright, the meter is wonderful, and the overall feel in your hands while shooting I think is special.

You can also customize it with different focus screens, motor drives, and a raft of other goodies to fit your shooting style. This was a true systems camera.

If you like shooting film, the F2-AS is one of the best SLR cameras.

Have fun,
Paul

Brian S

The weak point is some of the electronics in the meter: after putting in new batteries, adjust the aperture/shutter-speed combination and look for smooth transitions in the LED's. If the electronics are going, the +/- will flash back and forth. Other than that: this camera meters down to EV -2, used Silicon Blue Diodes that retain accuracy.