The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D800/E live view vs manual focus indicator

vjbelle

This is very good to know. I'm certainly not going to update all of my Zeiss lenses for the chipped versions but will certainly be purchasing the new 'Monster' lenses which should be coming out in the next year.

Victor

Bryan Stephens

Workshop Member
During my Zion shooting, I used LV most of the time, and it made some very sharp lenses (Zeiss 18 and 25 and Nikon 85 1.4 and 105 DC) even sharper, as I didnt have to rely on the auto focus and that my corrections were accurate.

woodworth

Tweaking the diopter correction for the VF helped me a lot. The VF on the D600 was spot on and the D800 needed slight adjustment. Don't know why they were different, but they were.

woodyj

-- note that it works for manual focus lenses using the AF confirm dot too.

Cheers,
The manual says that tuning is only for CPU lenses. Are you telling us that it is usable with MF lenses. If so, the user would have to identify the lens so that the camera knows which lens is mounted. Correct?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Woody, and welcome to GetDPI. You can set one generic offset that will then apply to all lenses not otherwise specifically set, including any non-CPU lenses. HOWEVER, with a non-CPU lens, the offset should be identically equal to the offset of your AF sensor to the sensor, so it should be fine for ALL non-CPU lenses. Hopefully that makes sense ;)