The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon SB-910 as a wireless flash

felix5616

I am shooting with a nikon D800. i recently purchased a nikon SB-910 flash(as my only flash) Can i use the SB-910 wirelessly if it my only flash?

woodworth

Also, if you get the Nikon SG-3IR IR (IR transmission only mask for your built in flash), you can use the SB910 (as a slave) and as the only light - enabling more creative lighting.

Also the Metz 58AF2 and the 50AF1 work very well as additional (or instead of the Nikon versions) lights and work beautifully wirelessly.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I use pocket wizards to shoot 3 of them wirelessly as well although more costly of a investment they are radio which I like better as a setup. Obviously this will depend on your needs.

pophoto

I use pocket wizards to shoot 3 of them wirelessly as well although more costly of a investment they are radio which I like better as a setup. Obviously this will depend on your needs.
Hey Guy, just wondering why the need of pocket wizards to trigger? I thought the D800 alone was sufficient for this!

Guy Mancuso

The Nikon controller I believe is infrared which is line of sight and in a lot of cases won't work when hidden and such or at distance. It's just a more limiting setup reason I like radios is I can be far away , outside easier syncing and many times I hide flashes behind items like plant pots and such. So in effect radio is a more reliable system in a lot of diverse shooting but obviously this adds a lot of costs as well. For simple interior shots like weddings and such the Nikon controller will work pretty well, but if you get outside there box than you can run into issues. . Also I may add a whole Profoto setup as well on certain shoots and optical slaves again don't work great outside, so I just bite the bullet and went radio all the way. Of course this will depend on your situation but one needs to know those limitations before heading out the door to tackle a shoot.

Guy Mancuso

The good part it comes already in you cam so its worth trying it and seeing if it works in your situations and if not than radio maybe the answer. There is also Radio poppers as well out in the market a lot of shooters use as well.