The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One 7 with D800E anyone?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Yea I read a couple post where folks say its been slow and off from version 6. There just maybe some corruption on the upgrade route. I went clean and just reset all my tools and redid any styles I had since they changed anyway with the new version. So I saw no need to hold on too any version 6 stuff.

Plus for me I had beta versions as well . I just cleaned everything off

S

stargazer27

Thanks for the replys, the two versions of c1 6 and 7 on my iMac are both trial versions (as are cnx2, DXO and Photo Ninja), I can have the same raw open in each of the program's and so can flick from one to another to see the differences. Aperture does not do as good a job compared to the rest, DXO is slightly better, of the best four CNX2 gives sharp but a little pale images, while the others (Photo Ninja c1 6 and c1 7) giving slightly more saturated images, with c1 6 and Photo Ninja better than c1 7.

The program's are as downloaded and still as default settings, the raws are opened from the same folder.

I suppose with the launch hype of c1 7 I expected a leap in quality from c16 rather than finding the reverse (image less sharp and colourful).

As suggested I will check the default settings to see if they are set up differently.

Thanks,

Peter

Jérôme.E

Which iso setting? Have you carefully check profiles?

Personally I haven't seen yet such a big difference at low iso between 7 and 6 with D800, just better micro-contrast. Reading this forum, It should be different at higher iso.

Haven't tried with my Leaf back but i expect (hope) big improvements.

Guy Mancuso

You need to go to your levels tool and you can see here I added 4 points of black

want to point out something here if you notice this is the 4th tab in from the top called the Exposure tab . Now the default does not look like what I have in tools. But what i do is load this tab with all my key tools and to add a tool to this just right click anywhere in this area and you can add a tool. You can also rearrange a tool and grab the top bar of it and put anywhere in order or you can even float a tool anywhere as well. When shooting tethered i may even use 4 Focus windows at 100 percent to see details as i go. But let me go back to these tabs. I actually load up this tool and the next tab over the lens tab and I load that up with other options so mostly i can stay within these two tabs and pretty much work everything I need.

Guy Mancuso

Again here is that 4 tab which is called lens. Now there is no right or wrong here as you can do anything and add anything you want. i just got used to putting everything in these 2 tabs that I needed 90 percent of the time. The beauty here is you can set this up anyway you want than save that workspace in the very top icons under window than you will see workspace and you can save that with any name you want. Some folks may have 3 or 4 workspaces depending what they are doing. Some folks I know have one for there laptop screen , one for the big monitor and one for shooting tethered.

Guy Mancuso

Again remember any tool can float as well. You have dual monitors than you can float a bunch of tools on the second monitor and take advantage of the full screen on your primary monitor.

Yea I read a couple post where folks say its been slow and off from version 6. There just maybe some corruption on the upgrade route. I went clean and just reset all my tools and redid any styles I had since they changed anyway with the new version. So I saw no need to hold on too any version 6 stuff.

Plus for me I had beta versions as well . I just cleaned everything off
The two things that I am seeing are that things don't import from 6 very well. Better to dump the session file and start fresh. The other thing that I am seeing is that catalogs are a bloated, unstable nightmare. Lightroom is still a much better tool for that. Session file for a folder with 1400 images is about 15 MB. Catalog with the same images was 40 GB. This is in addition to the capture folder. I'm sure it is user error or just a misunderstanding of how C1-7 works.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
First off, C1 is a very versatile processor. Second, know it is developed by PhaseOne and they of course tune the heck out of it for THEIR backs and offer several base profiles for their backs. That said, they also tune it beautifully for most other cameras, but it's tough for a relatively small company to keep up with all new DLSR's as they are released, so often it takes a few months before a new camera gets optimized.

That said, let me get back to my comment about C1 being versatile: It's takes a bit of time but is pretty straightforward to build your own dedicated capture profile by using the Advanced Color Editor. Once tuned, you simply "save as profile," and it will be available in your camera profile dropdown for future use.

I think Doug has the procedure outlined somewhere, so I'll let him elaborate/link/post on the specifics. The basics are you shoot a color checker under the type(s) of lighting you normally shoot under, then use CE to tune each patch to it's true value. (Start with the primaries, then move to the secondaries -- you need a few back and forth's to get them all zeroed. Usually these are enough for product, though I typically include the gray gradients as well to eliminate subtle casts. For people, you will want to tune the skintone patches as well.) You then save this as a profile with appropriate name, like "D800E Tungsten" for example.
Unfortunately I don't have the procedure outlined anywhere linkable.

Your brief explanation is pretty good. I'd make the following comments:
- when profiling for a very specific situation (e.g. a copy station with fixed lighting and camera setup) it can be fruitful to make your tweaks for every color patch and keep the "smoothness" fairly low. BUT when profiling for more general use I suggest making more general tweaks and keeping the smoothness fairly high; this will make the changes more adaptive to changes (large or small) in lighting, lenses, and ISO.
- the D800 in particular has been challenging for me to profile in a pleasing way. I've been working with another forum member to this end, and hope I may have a profile for public release (free of course) in the next week or two, but I'm not convinced it will be much of an improvement in broad use over the canned profile in C1; still it looks different enough that it should be a significant improvement in some situations and therefore well suited for a quick "which one looks better in this case" usage. Compared to some custom profiles I've done for Phase backs the D800 has been very challenging to profile; cross over colors in the shadows, especially reds have been very hard to eliminate without causing major issues elsewhere.
- more advanced profiling tools are required for really nuanced profiles and the process is much more intense than I realized before I joined DT and starting working on profiling for our Cultural Heritage customers. Color Editor gets you maybe 75% of the way there is a MUCH simpler way (and in a way that can be easily tweaked per image).

I used to suggest the "save ICC profile" feature from the Color Editor, but the benefit (a universally compatible ICC profile) does not seem as strong to me anymore as the advantage you have when you stick with the adjustments as
preset (you can save all the tweaks, but leave the list of the adjustments in tack for later further editing).

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The two things that I am seeing are that things don't import from 6 very well. Better to dump the session file and start fresh. The other thing that I am seeing is that catalogs are a bloated, unstable nightmare. Lightroom is still a much better tool for that. Session file for a folder with 1400 images is about 15 MB. Catalog with the same images was 40 GB. This is in addition to the capture folder. I'm sure it is user error or just a misunderstanding of how C1-7 works.
When importing to the Catalog you can leave the images in their original location, in which case the size of the Catalog remains small (only preview sized cache, and adjustment files). You can also elect to have the images themselves sit inside the Catalog itself, in which case the size of the Catalog will be much bigger since it contains the full raw file, the preview cache, and the adjustments.

robsteve

Subscriber
Just checked in here to get some of Guy's special settings since I just recieved my D800E. I had mentioned that the D800E files didn't have the punch of my DMR images, but after reading Guy's post and suggested settings, the clarity setting was what I was missing.

Guy Mancuso

Try Clarity Punch as well it does both mid level contrast and kicks in Saturation as well. Interesting combo.

robsteve

Subscriber
Try Clarity Punch as well it does both mid level contrast and kicks in Saturation as well. Interesting combo.
I think I was using clarity punch. In the drop down settings of clarity it was showing punch.

I have to head out for a while and will play with it some more tonight.

Has anybody had Capture one crash during an import from a SD card? It crashed on me probably after the second time I tired an import. I was not importing all, but had select only the newer images and then when I chose import, it crashed.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
ISO 6400 church interior sample.
D800e 24-120 VRII at 120mm 1/160 f/4 handheld, processed with C1 7
OK, these are not great images but I am pretty impressed with the ISO 6400 and VRII performance for walk-about snapshots.
C1 did a nice job too. All with default C1 7 D800e settings which happened to almost exactly match my style that I no longer need to apply.
full frame

100% around focus point

100% lower left corner

-bob

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I think I was using clarity punch. In the drop down settings of clarity it was showing punch.

I have to head out for a while and will play with it some more tonight.

Has anybody had Capture one crash during an import from a SD card? It crashed on me probably after the second time I tired an import. I was not importing all, but had select only the newer images and then when I chose import, it crashed.
Yes, there are occasional crashes during preview generation on a mac.
-bob

robsteve

Subscriber
Another import question. When I put in the card, it doesn't find the NEFs unless I browse to them in the import window, even if import subfolders is selected. In addition, it doesn't eject the card and I must close C1 before the OSx finder will allow me to eject the card.

Magic

Just downloaded and installed Capture One. First time ever I am using it. After import of 224 RAW files I wanted to quit the program and it froze/crashed. :mad:Hardware is iMac 2010, 2.8 MHz, 16GB RAM. I sent the protocol and will look into it tomorrow.

Greetings, Jurgen