Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Capture One 7 with D800E anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

Capture One 7 with D800E anyone?

Just tooling around with the newly downloaded C1-7 and some D800E files that I already know quite well in LR4 and so far getting better results with LR - BUT - that's because I have processed thousands of D800 and E files in LR. I'm just wondering if anyone has any provisional early settings that they feel get the best out of the files in the new version of C1? It seems, for example, to apply less sharpening and more NR than I remember from C16 but to be honest I never used C1 a lot for my D800 shots so I'm no expert...

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Capture One 7 with D800E anyone?

160,.6,.1 is a good start at sharpening . Base ISO I dropped luminance to 35 as my default.

Clarity depends on image. New clarity punch is interesting as it does add mid level contrast and saturation. Very nice on landscape images at about plus 8-12. Does give it some punch use accordingly. This is my starting point but play around as you may like something slightly different in these settings.

Also watch contrast as I have been known to drop it 4-5 points and than add 3 points of black.

That's been my sauce don't sell it. ROTFLMAO
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy, thank you - your sauce is safe with me, unless I see great bids on eBay...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get what you can send check. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

I've never own a C1 licence, always used it on try mode. I tried to learn it but find it a hard on the workflow.
    I downloaded C17 and tried some interior shots that I had difficulty finding the right color in ACR and got it right on. The tonality and color separation is amazing.
    I tried some exterior and they were wonderful as well.
    I didn't have luck though with still live objects, I shoot golden color watches, that have variety in golden tones, rose gold and others and couldn't get it right.
    DO you guys know is there is a profile that would help get this right?
    I'm really wish I could solve this and finally get the license.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

First off, C1 is a very versatile processor. Second, know it is developed by PhaseOne and they of course tune the heck out of it for THEIR backs and offer several base profiles for their backs. That said, they also tune it beautifully for most other cameras, but it's tough for a relatively small company to keep up with all new DLSR's as they are released, so often it takes a few months before a new camera gets optimized.

That said, let me get back to my comment about C1 being versatile: It's takes a bit of time but is pretty straightforward to build your own dedicated capture profile by using the Advanced Color Editor. Once tuned, you simply "save as profile," and it will be available in your camera profile dropdown for future use.

I think Doug has the procedure outlined somewhere, so I'll let him elaborate/link/post on the specifics. The basics are you shoot a color checker under the type(s) of lighting you normally shoot under, then use CE to tune each patch to it's true value. (Start with the primaries, then move to the secondaries -- you need a few back and forth's to get them all zeroed. Usually these are enough for product, though I typically include the gray gradients as well to eliminate subtle casts. For people, you will want to tune the skintone patches as well.) You then save this as a profile with appropriate name, like "D800E Tungsten" for example.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well this is good news for me Jack, if Doug have the answer I would be grateful to get on it.

I use Color Checker card on all my shoots, even exteriors. I use the Nikon D800 now.

On ACR I have wondered many different profiles trying to get exteriors and interiors right, but non really accurate. Mostly interior of stores with special visuals that need precise color for the brand, is where the problem shows more.

Yesterday experimenting with one file on C17 i was on top of those color right on. But, as you said, need to profile the still live ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio Chagin View Post

On ACR I have wondered many different profiles trying to get exteriors and interiors right, but non really accurate.
    That's because in ACR/LR they are NOT profiles, but rather memorized sets of color channel adjustments.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On any certain color you can in color editor and make exact changes to hue, saturation and such. So you can build a style from that and apply to a image or a whole batch of them

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guy I'll experiment with that later today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Capture One 7 with D800E anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post

160,.6,.1 is a good start at sharpening (...)

Guy, did you seriously mean to type .1 for the Threshold (I assume it means 0.1 right) ?

I'm asking because my Capture One Pro starts up with 1.0 as default Threshold, so I just wondered if your notation might be a typo ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want to chime in a little here. I shoot a D800, not E, but what I've found may be helpful...

For whatever reason I've discovered that the new C1-7 debayering algorithm seems to like a 0.5 radius. I've almost never found a situation previously with any camera where 0.5 worked better than 0.4 or 0.6 in C1 or LR/ACR (there's a lengthy explanation for the technical logic behind this that I won't go into here). Anyway, in V6, my base sharpening for the D800 was 240, 0.8, 1 with +10 clarity. In 7 my new base is 180, 0.5, 1 with +4 clarity (neutral) -- and I'm getting superior results with it over anything I could achieve in 6.

What is most puzzling to me is that in working with Guy, it seems the D800E base is not significantly different other than slight reductions in the sharpening amount and the clarity settings. The initial conclusion I draw from this is the new debayering algorithm logic is somehow very effective at defining edges regardless of subtlety.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the big difference in version 6 was the clarity slider. I would go negative in version 6 like Jack said to about 8 points . Version 7 I seem to not need any but if I want to give it some punch than maybe 6 or so on the plus side. My guess is clarity is much better in 7 or maybe better said more accurate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes I meant 1 sorry for threshold

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes the big difference in version 6 was the clarity slider. I would go negative in version 6 like Jack said to about 8 points . Version 7 I seem to not need any but if I want to give it some punch than maybe 6 or so on the plus side. My guess is clarity is much better in 7 or maybe better said more accurate.
    Btw my guess on that is the D800e was actually profiled in version 7 and not use the D800 profile in 6.

stargazer27

New to the forum and first post (please be kind)

Hi, I currently use apple aperture v 3. I have recently bought a Nikon D800E, and have downloaded various raw convertors to see which gives the best default conversion and which is the easiest to use (Nikon Capture NX2, DXO, Photo Ninja, capture one pro 6). I have also just downloaded capture one pro 7 as this is marketed as having a new raw convertor superior to v6.

Unfortunately the default conversion of v 7 is actually worse than with v 6.

I am using the same (14 bit lossless compressed NEF raws) with each program with (obviously) differing results with each. Depending on the results of my trial decides as to which convertor / software program to go for.

Any thoughts as why v 7 is giving poorer results than v 6?

Thanks in anticipation,

Best wishes,

Peter Wilson.

Post Thanks / Like

What surprised me with C17 is ACTUALLY far better crashes free than C16, at least on my Mac SL 10.6.8.
    I truly preferred C1 "rendering" than LR even if I use LR when i need to process faster but with this new version i'll probably switch definitively.

Guy and Jack's sharpening is IHMO a good starting point, mine is 180 0,6 1 and +10 clarity. Don't like that much structure rendition but i just try with portrait, should be better with architecture.
    So nice to have new layer adjustments with auto masking and gradient tool, now i wait for the opacity slider...that was C1 achilles' heel.

About noise 50-50 seems to much and i don't understand this default setting with base iso. I put it 25-30 but didn't see that much difference with 10-10 for example, in fact i don't know what seems to be the best at base iso?

@Jack If you get a detailed procedure about CE profile process I'm very interesting in ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did drop my luminance down to 35 on low ISO shots and I agree does seem high for some reason. Maybe the engineers can explain this one to me better so I understand there reasoning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer27 View Post
    New to the forum and first post (please be kind)

Hi, I currently use apple aperture v 3. I have recently bought a Nikon D800E, and have downloaded various raw convertors to see which gives the best default conversion and which is the easiest to use (Nikon Capture NX2, DXO, Photo Ninja, capture one pro 6). I have also just downloaded capture one pro 7 as this is marketed as having a new raw convertor superior to v6.

Unfortunately the default conversion of v 7 is actually worse than with v 6.

I am using the same (14 bit lossless compressed NEF raws) with each program with (obviously) differing results with each. Depending on the results of my trial decides as to which convertor / software program to go for.

Any thoughts as why v 7 is giving poorer results than v 6?

Thanks in anticipation,

Best wishes,

Peter Wilson.

Hard to say not looking at your machine but do check all your color setting in C1 and in PS and make sure everything is the same like Adobe 1998.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I did not upgrade from 6 to 7 but did a new install but settings could have changed on the upgrade process.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a clean install too (CI link). May be you should try it stargazer, if you haven't done it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I read a couple post where folks say its been slow and off from version 6. There just maybe some corruption on the upgrade route. I went clean and just reset all my tools and redid any styles I had since they changed anyway with the new version. So I saw no need to hold on too any version 6 stuff.

Plus for me I had beta versions as well . I just cleaned everything off

stargazer27

Thanks for the replys, the two versions of c1 6 and 7 on my iMac are both trial versions (as are cnx2, DXO and Photo Ninja), I can have the same raw open in each of the program's and so can flick from one to another to see the differences. Aperture does not do as good a job compared to the rest, DXO is slightly better, of the best four CNX2 gives sharp but a little pale images, while the others (Photo Ninja c1 6 and c1 7) giving slightly more saturated images, with c1 6 and Photo Ninja better than c1 7.

The program's are as downloaded and still as default settings, the raws are opened from the same folder.

I suppose with the launch hype of c1 7 I expected a leap in quality from c16 rather than finding the reverse (image less sharp and colourful).

As suggested I will check the default settings to see if they are set up differently.

Thanks,

Peter

Post Thanks / Like

Which iso setting? Have you carefully check profiles?

Personally I haven't seen yet such a big difference at low iso between 7 and 6 with D800, just better micro-contrast. Reading this forum, It should be different at higher iso.

Haven't tried with my Leaf back but i expect (hope) big improvements.

Post Thanks / Like

Also watch contrast as I have been known to drop it 4-5 points and than add 3 points of black.

That's been my sauce don't sell it. ROTFLMAO
    Hi Guy. How do you add 3 points of Black with C1 ?

Thanks a lot

Luis

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You need to go to your levels tool and you can see here I added 4 points of black

want to point out something here if you notice this is the 4th tab in from the top called the Exposure tab . Now the default does not look like what I have in tools. But what i do is load this tab with all my key tools and to add a tool to this just right click anywhere in this area and you can add a tool. You can also rearrange a tool and grab the top bar of it and put anywhere in order or you can even float a tool anywhere as well. When shooting tethered i may even use 4 Focus windows at 100 percent to see details as i go. But let me go back to these tabs. I actually load up this tool and the next tab over the lens tab and I load that up with other options so mostly i can stay within these two tabs and pretty much work everything I need.

Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again here is that 4 tab which is called lens. Now there is no right or wrong here as you can do anything and add anything you want. i just got used to putting everything in these 2 tabs that I needed 90 percent of the time. The beauty here is you can set this up anyway you want than save that workspace in the very top icons under window than you will see workspace and you can save that with any name you want. Some folks may have 3 or 4 workspaces depending what they are doing. Some folks I know have one for there laptop screen , one for the big monitor and one for shooting tethered.

Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Again remember any tool can float as well. You have dual monitors than you can float a bunch of tools on the second monitor and take advantage of the full screen on your primary monitor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea I read a couple post where folks say its been slow and off from version 6. There just maybe some corruption on the upgrade route. I went clean and just reset all my tools and redid any styles I had since they changed anyway with the new version. So I saw no need to hold on too any version 6 stuff.

Plus for me I had beta versions as well . I just cleaned everything off
    The two things that I am seeing are that things don't import from 6 very well. Better to dump the session file and start fresh. The other thing that I am seeing is that catalogs are a bloated, unstable nightmare. Lightroom is still a much better tool for that. Session file for a folder with 1400 images is about 15 MB. Catalog with the same images was 40 GB. This is in addition to the capture folder. I'm sure it is user error or just a misunderstanding of how C1-7 works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not even tried catalogs yet guys. Sorry to hear of those troubles

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    First off, C1 is a very versatile processor. Second, know it is developed by PhaseOne and they of course tune the heck out of it for THEIR backs and offer several base profiles for their backs. That said, they also tune it beautifully for most other cameras, but it's tough for a relatively small company to keep up with all new DLSR's as they are released, so often it takes a few months before a new camera gets optimized.

That said, let me get back to my comment about C1 being versatile: It's takes a bit of time but is pretty straightforward to build your own dedicated capture profile by using the Advanced Color Editor. Once tuned, you simply "save as profile," and it will be available in your camera profile dropdown for future use.

I think Doug has the procedure outlined somewhere, so I'll let him elaborate/link/post on the specifics. The basics are you shoot a color checker under the type(s) of lighting you normally shoot under, then use CE to tune each patch to it's true value. (Start with the primaries, then move to the secondaries -- you need a few back and forth's to get them all zeroed. Usually these are enough for product, though I typically include the gray gradients as well to eliminate subtle casts. For people, you will want to tune the skintone patches as well.) You then save this as a profile with appropriate name, like "D800E Tungsten" for example.
    Unfortunately I don't have the procedure outlined anywhere linkable.

Your brief explanation is pretty good. I'd make the following comments:
    - when profiling for a very specific situation (e.g. a copy station with fixed lighting and camera setup) it can be fruitful to make your tweaks for every color patch and keep the "smoothness" fairly low. BUT when profiling for more general use I suggest making more general tweaks and keeping the smoothness fairly high; this will make the changes more adaptive to changes (large or small) in lighting, lenses, and ISO.
    - the D800 in particular has been challenging for me to profile in a pleasing way. I've been working with another forum member to this end, and hope I may have a profile for public release (free of course) in the next week or two, but I'm not convinced it will be much of an improvement in broad use over the canned profile in C1; still it looks different enough that it should be a significant improvement in some situations and therefore well suited for a quick "which one looks better in this case" usage. Compared to some custom profiles I've done for Phase backs the D800 has been very challenging to profile; cross over colors in the shadows, especially reds have been very hard to eliminate without causing major issues elsewhere.
    - more advanced profiling tools are required for really nuanced profiles and the process is much more intense than I realized before I joined DT and starting working on profiling for our Cultural Heritage customers. Color Editor gets you maybe 75% of the way there is a MUCH simpler way (and in a way that can be easily tweaked per image).

I used to suggest the "save ICC profile" feature from the Color Editor, but the benefit (a universally compatible ICC profile) does not seem as strong to me anymore as the advantage you have when you stick with the adjustments as
    preset (you can save all the tweaks, but leave the list of the adjustments in tack for later further editing).
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_Green View Post
    The two things that I am seeing are that things don't import from 6 very well. Better to dump the session file and start fresh. The other thing that I am seeing is that catalogs are a bloated, unstable nightmare. Lightroom is still a much better tool for that. Session file for a folder with 1400 images is about 15 MB. Catalog with the same images was 40 GB. This is in addition to the capture folder. I'm sure it is user error or just a misunderstanding of how C1-7 works.
    When importing to the Catalog you can leave the images in their original location, in which case the size of the Catalog remains small (only preview sized cache, and adjustment files). You can also elect to have the images themselves sit inside the Catalog itself, in which case the size of the Catalog will be much bigger since it contains the full raw file, the preview cache, and the adjustments.
    Doug Peterson , Digital Transitions | Email
    Dealer for: Phase One, Mamiya Leaf, Arca-Swiss, Cambo, Eizo, Profoto
    Office: 877.367.8537. Cell: 740.707.2183

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just checked in here to get some of Guy's special settings since I just recieved my D800E. I had mentioned that the D800E files didn't have the punch of my DMR images, but after reading Guy's post and suggested settings, the clarity setting was what I was missing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try Clarity Punch as well it does both mid level contrast and kicks in Saturation as well. Interesting combo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Try Clarity Punch as well it does both mid level contrast and kicks in Saturation as well. Interesting combo.
    I think I was using clarity punch. In the drop down settings of clarity it was showing punch.

I have to head out for a while and will play with it some more tonight.

Has anybody had Capture one crash during an import from a SD card? It crashed on me probably after the second time I tired an import. I was not importing all, but had select only the newer images and then when I chose import, it crashed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ISO 6400 church interior sample.
    D800e 24-120 VRII at 120mm 1/160 f/4 handheld, processed with C1 7
    OK, these are not great images but I am pretty impressed with the ISO 6400 and VRII performance for walk-about snapshots.
    C1 did a nice job too. All with default C1 7 D800e settings which happened to almost exactly match my style that I no longer need to apply.
    full frame

100% around focus point

100% lower left corner

-bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looks pretty smooth Bob.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    I think I was using clarity punch. In the drop down settings of clarity it was showing punch.

I have to head out for a while and will play with it some more tonight.

Has anybody had Capture one crash during an import from a SD card? It crashed on me probably after the second time I tired an import. I was not importing all, but had select only the newer images and then when I chose import, it crashed.
    Yes, there are occasional crashes during preview generation on a mac.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another import question. When I put in the card, it doesn't find the NEFs unless I browse to them in the import window, even if import subfolders is selected. In addition, it doesn't eject the card and I must close C1 before the OSx finder will allow me to eject the card.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just downloaded and installed Capture One. First time ever I am using it. After import of 224 RAW files I wanted to quit the program and it froze/crashed. Hardware is iMac 2010, 2.8 MHz, 16GB RAM. I sent the protocol and will look into it tomorrow.

Greetings, Jurgen

Post Thanks / Like

Another import question. When I put in the card, it doesn't find the NEFs unless I browse to them in the import window, even if import subfolders is selected. In addition, it doesn't eject the card and I must close C1 before the OSx finder will allow me to eject the card.
    ditto

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+2

I don't have to close C1 though

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm getting huge numbers of crashes in various situations...I'm on a 2008 Mac Pro (high end at that time) with 20 gb ram. Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Just downloaded and installed Capture One. First time ever I am using it. After import of 224 RAW files I wanted to quit the program and it froze/crashed. Hardware is iMac 2010, 2.8 MHz, 16GB RAM. I sent the protocol and will look into it tomorrow.

Greetings, Jurgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am on 10.6.8 in case it is just those of us on older os versions having the problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW-My copy of C1-7 has run smoothly since I installed it about a week ago. I have an aging Mac Pro (3,1) running 10.8.2.

I'm taking notes from Jack and Guy's posts for the time when I get the D800 (probably about 6 months prior to the release of the D900

And old habits die hard. Many C-1 versions ago I decided to use the Linear curve setting and I've never changed it. Which means I have to build almost every image up to something I like. On the few occasions when I've experimented with the other curves like "Film Standard", I'm always a bit surprised how close they come to my own fiddling. Which means either I'm really good or C-1 is reading my mind. My biggest complaint about any of the software, including LR, is the tendency they have to add too much contrast. Hence the Linear setting.

Look forward to reading others experiences with the new catalog function.

Best,
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd appreciate someone explaining the purpose of Catalogues and the fit of Albums and projects and folders and sub folders within all this ...

The videos available don't really do a good enough job of explaining the why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

^^^

NM - I checked out You-tube and there a bunch of Media Pro videos which explain the 'logic'..

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I think it is time for some person to do a video like Lynda.com or like Michael and Jeff on Capture one. I hope a lot of you agree.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, guys.
    Sorry to be dense but how can you apply the builtin D800E style?
    I couldn't find it in the presets...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am on 10.6.8 in case it is just those of us on older os versions having the problem.
    I have been told by people in the know that 10.8 may have issues, but 10.6 is fine and 10.7 is best. However, I too am on 10.6.8 and it is horribly buggy. I have suspicions that 10.6 doesn't do the best job of memory management and that causes the problems.