The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sandy.... No LBI photos for a while

gurtch

I have posted many seascapes here, taken with my relatively new D800e, or in the Pentax forum (645D). THey were all taken on Long Beach Island (LBI), NJ, a barrier island about 2 miles at sea, connected to the main land by causeways and bridges. At it's widest point, it is about 4 blocks wide; at it's narrowest, it is less than one block wide. During Sandy, it coincided with a full moon, and consecutive high tides. The wind does not allow the bay to empty, so each high tide brings more water. The bay literally met the ocean. We had to mandatory evacuate. There is no power, water, or sewage. We may not get back for days to assess the damage. I did bring my redundant hard drives with my digital files. All my original negatives ( remember those...I 'm 75 yrs old), are in a 2nd floor workshop over top of the town bank bldg.
So, probably no new LBI pics for a while, but you can see what the island USED to look like here
MODERN PICTORIALS
Regards to all, and those on the east coast, stay safe.
Dave in NJ

tashley

Subscriber Member
Hey Dave, good to hear that you are safe and good luck with getting everything back together, I hope there proves to be as little damage as possible when you get home.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Glad to hear from you Dave been thinking about you through all this. I have family there with 3 homes and they have no idea what BH looks like maybe days till they can see. Hope everyone gets there life back in order. Keep us posted

gurtch

Thank you all. If anything good came out of this, it was the out pouring from our friends who are not year round residents like we are, that opened up their homes to us. Our boys that live in Minn., Ind., and FL, have offered to leave their jobs and families to come east to help us clean up. I know this is not the place for me to post this, but I really need a mental pick up. Our LBI home is not a vacation home, it is our one and only. That is how i catch some wild looking skies, etc., because we are always here.
Dave

D&A

Dave, from the moment the storm was expected to hit the shoreline of NJ and NY, I thought of your your particular location, knowing it moderately well and like many others here on Getdpi, was extremely concerned for you and your family's safety. Glad to hear from you and although the there is much hardship, agravation and of course all sorts of possible loss of personal possessions....nothing replaces the good fortune of knowing you and your loved ones are safe. No doubt in time, you'll be once again posting some more of your great images. In the meantime, we all wish you the best while you're facing what I'm sure are many daunting tasks that lie ahead.

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

Dave, from the moment the storm was expected to hit the shoreline of NJ and NY, I thought of your your particular location, knowing it moderately well and like many others here on Getdpi, was extremely concerned for you and your family's safety. Glad to hear from you and although the there is much hardship, agravation and of course all sorts of possible loss of personal possessions....nothing replaces the good fortune of knowing you and your loved ones are safe. No doubt in time, you'll be once again posting some more of your great images. In the meantime, we all wish you the best while you're facing what I'm sure are many daunting tasks that lie ahead.

Dave (D&A)
This is a wonderful, and kind forum.
Thank you
Dave

johnnygoesdigital

Dave,

Your photos always beautifully capture the more rural side of the Jersey Shore. I've spent a few summers on LBI, and Ocean Grove, but i've never experienced the beauty that you've been kind enough to share.

darr

Dave my prayers are with you. We have talked a bit in the past about my family's roots in Ship Bottom and my cousins that live in Beach Haven. Here is a post one of my cousins posted on their FB page 12 hours ago:

11/1/2012: GREAT NEWS: Just got off the phone with the Office of Emergency Management(OEM) in LBI. They are letting us marina owners ONLY on the island tomorrow to start the cleanup at our places! They want all the boats/debris/docks all recovered and out of the roadways! Hopefully we will be able to recover as much as possible and assess the rest of the damage! I'll post a ton of pics tomorrow! Wish us luck it's going to be a LONG,HEARTBREAKING day! But, at least it's an early start!! The rest of the island is looking at another week before re-entry!!
Peace be with you my friend!
Darr

Dan Bellyk

Hi Dave hoping the damage is minimal and wishing you all the best, really enjoyed looking through all your pictures.

Dan

V

Vivek

Take care, Dave. We have family and friends living in your state. Luckily, everyone is fine.

gurtch

I have had the pleasure of photographing this LBI Icon for many years. It is my Signature Image on my web site, brocures, business cards, etc. That particular shot was made in May 1995 on medium format color negative film. If you go to my web site at:
MODERN PICTORIALS and go to the Polly's Dock Page you can see my efforts over the years.
Best regards
Dave
PS we were allowed in to "grab & go", on Monday, but not allowed to stay. Still no power, water, sewage
Here is the Final Chapter:

Last edited:

D&A

David,

Good to hear from you! Your iconic 1995 image of Polly's dock is truly lovely and I'm sure you and others from LBI were heartbroken to see the ravages that mother nature has wrought. It will take time along with hard work and no doubt sacrafice, but hope the wounds that the area and people have suffured begin to heal and that the tranquility the area is known for returns. I also hope you were able to recover those items which means the most to you and your family. I know a Nor'easter is passing up the coast this evening, so hopefully it doesn't add to the already difficult situation. Please keep us all posted on how you are doing and progress being made. Take care and be safe!

Dave (D&A)

gurtch

This is Buckalews Restaraunt & Pub on LBI where I have 80 matted and framed LBI seascape prints hanging. The staff got all of them to the 2nd floor out of harm's way. Interior is totalled. floor, walls, booths are on the curb. Kitchen like a big bowling alley..nothing in it. Refrigeration and cooking equipment gone.
Dave

Last edited: