Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Now, after switching from MF to D800...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Now, after switching from MF to D800...

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

Commercial studio work makes up maybe 10% of my shooting these days ... the remainder is spent defining some sort of visual voice that speaks to people ... if that's what you mean by signature.

-Marc
    yea.. that's the part that's so much harder than the tech, rarer to find.. but I don't see many looking in that direction for improvement in their work. I know it's a harder discussion to have than 'should i get x lens because it's sharper..', but i think that voice is what actually makes a difference in one's work.

this is just one point of view though. My friend was perfectly happy with what I considered aesthetically boring, yet technically perfect images. They did very well in his camera club.. and for him, it was never really about the image as much as the gear and the work getting there.

jim
    (personally, i've never considered the 'gee.. your work reminds me of <some famous photographer>' to be complimentary.)

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Personally on workshops I'm more teaching folks how to SEE than the technical part. I put more emphasis there as its much harder to learn. It's really hard to describe here on the forums in the written word and much better standing next to someone and helping them. Why I love doing the workshops.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

But this is the "Nikon" forum and not the "composition" forum

And as someone being part of this tech talk I am totally aware that much of the discussion about gear doesnt bring us further regarding photography.
    I guess most would admit that this is true. Its fun anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCollum View Post
    yea.. that's the part that's so much harder than the tech, rarer to find.. but I don't see many looking in that direction for improvement in their work. I know it's a harder discussion to have than 'should i get x lens because it's sharper..', but i think that voice is what actually makes a difference in one's work.

this is just one point of view though. My friend was perfectly happy with what I considered aesthetically boring, yet technically perfect images. They did very well in his camera club.. and for him, it was never really about the image as much as the gear and the work getting there.

jim
    (personally, i've never considered the 'gee.. your work reminds me of <some famous photographer>' to be complimentary.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    But this is the "Nikon" forum and not the "composition" forum

And as someone being part of this tech talk I am totally aware that much of the discussion about gear doesnt bring us further regarding photography.
    I guess most would admit that this is true. Its fun anyways.
    Well your right reason i did not get into any of the aesthetics either in the front end of this discussion. I was purely talking on the tech side and not the drawing of glass or anything like that. We went sideways a little. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The reality is with photography being a singular blend of technical competence and aesthetic proficiency, most people want to discuss and dissect the technical nuances of gear more than than they want to discuss the art -- at least it seems to be the case to me. Our goal when setting up GetDPI was to blend BOTH in a friendly fashion, so that both (either) sides can get the most of what they want from the discussions.

This is a long way of stating that while this is a "Nikon specific" thread, and hence infers a certain bent toward the technical aspect of same, ALL of our fora are really about advancing ones photographic art in total. Which of course encompasses both expanding ones technical proficiency with the specific gear they use as well as expanding their aesthetic vision.

Cheers,
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said Jack. Honestly its whatever works well in a thread and I'm one of the worst offenders sometimes going slightly sideways in our discussions. Its all good in my opinion. Its hard talking sometimes without talking both left and right side brain traits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well said Jack. Honestly its whatever works well in a thread and I'm one of the worst offenders sometimes going slightly sideways in our discussions. Its all good in my opinion. Its hard talking sometimes without talking both left and right side brain traits.
    hey.. as a number on this thread are very aware.... i'm also into the gear

and enjoy all the different directions threads may take... 30 years of software engineering tend to give one a 'geek' perspective on these things as well.... the 'what happens when you attach this to that...'

as far as moving from MFD to D800.. one of the things i've missed in the larger sensor size is the perspective change. One of my favorite combinations with the Leaf was using a Zeiss 110/2 . This gave a specific depth of field when used at, say, portrait distance that changes when attached to the D800. I've found using the 50mm 1.2 comes close to this, but still not exact. It's one of the reasons I'll still shot MF film.. to get that look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ROTFLMAO well said Jim

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Nikon's AF - I've never had an issue with AF systems, just about anyone's can focus competently, and most high-end DSLRs the last ten years have had good PDAF tracking capabilities. The problem for me has always been the fact that while accurate and fast, it doesn't focus where I want to. AF point selection and point availability has never particularly suited compositional needs. Murphy has too often dictated that when I have a point selected on the left side the subject is best placed to the right. And of course it's moving so needs to be tracked or prefocused.

I just totally, absolutely love 3D AF-C. I pick up say the subject's face with AF-ON, compose and shoot, while the AF system follows the focal point around the frame as the subject moves. I love it not because it's faster or more accurate, or for any particularly technical reason - but because it frees me to pay attention to background juxtaposition which is very timing sensitive, and other compositional factors that matter a whole lot more than the last itty bitty AF speed. A person doesn't move all that fast typically, but they do move. Prefocusing is always possible of course, but that tends to give pretty sh*tty background juxtaposition to be perfectly frank.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post