The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Playing with Helicon

tashley

Subscriber Member
I have been having fun with Helicon, inspired by my current thorough testing of the Zeiss 21mm F2.8 on the D800.

The lens has wonderful micro contrast in the central region but a combination of some mid-field weakness and some field curvature make it often hard to get edges and corners in focus. So rather than shoot two or more frames at different focus settings to counteract these effects, I thought I'd just take one shot at F5.6 to get central area sharpness and micro contrast right, and then another stopped down to F16 to get the edges and corners good. This is a lot easier to do without nudging the camera between shots and the results are pretty good... maybe everyone else has been doing this for years, in which case my apologies for re-inventing the wheel!

Original is here: (looks lovely on a retina at 100% so should be pretty good on a normal monitor at 50%)
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/img/s4/v66/p1285232680.jpg

Tim

danielmoore

After two weeks and no responses you are cordially awarded tumbleweeds! : )

I have yet to find a need for Helicon in my shooting thus far. Let me take the opportunity to say I've found f/11 on the D800E very compelling, especially with regard to the 14-24G. It asks a little but yields tremendous quality for it's DOF.

Focus stacking for offsetting field curvature, hadn't thought of that.