The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

85/1.4...the debate.

Been thinking a move in the opposite direction.

I mainly do weddings, and didn't have enough room in hotels to keep my 105DC (which I LOVED), and picked up a 1.4G.

I'm using an 85 a lot now, but the flare is horrific. Like an ugly haze, not a sweet look that comes from the 16-35.

Someone mentioned good flare resistance with the G. Going to pick one up and if its a keeper, sell the D.

K

KLYShots

The 1.4G obviously is the best performer but not by much compared to the 1.4D. The D actually focusing a little faster. The G has better colors and contrast but all that can be added in post. I honestly don't it's worth twice the price.

dmeckert

Someone mentioned good flare resistance with the G. Going to pick one up and if its a keeper, sell the D.
not a comparison between 85s, but still shows what the newest designs and nano coating can do. the one with flare is from the nikon 28-70/2.8, from a relatively similar position and FL. nothing done in LR except b&w.

Quentin_Bargate

The Sigma 85mm F1.4 @ F2, no sharpening on the full sized sample, on a D800E

This is Nevado, my wife's Spanish purebred young colt, in case you are interested. :)

The Sigma lens is a viable alternative

Hulyss Bowman

I've got the SIGMA 84 f1.4, the Nikkor 1.4 G and now the 1.8G.

At the end, objectively, I kept the the Nikkor AF-S 85mm f/1.8G because :

¤ It cost a lot less (by selling the two 1.4, I managed to have a large stock of epson ink and Hahnemühle paper)

¤ It weight a lot less.

¤ The performances are absolutely good for any kind of artistic or commercial work, especially for the price (for me this is the normal price of a truly excellent 85mm).

That said, the ones who have the 1.4 Nikkor or Sigma do not have to worry at all, both are superior optically speaking. But the "warm" rendering of the 1.4 family is soooo reproducible in PP... For someone who need to buy a 85 in Nikon mount nowadays, he should go for the 1.8G because it is the best bang for the buck, weather sealed, fast af, very well build. At an artistic level, he should go for the Zeiss Zf.2 because (this is my experience) the Zeiss is superior in rendering to both Nikkor and Sigma.

Speaking about the DC series, I think I will buy one soon (first I need more MF stuff) and My choice will go on the 135 DC. I already have the 180 f2.8 ED and... damn... this is a veryyy gooood lens, especially for portrait. Not even close to the 200/2 but... it have his own signature and character.

Nikon 85mm 1.8 G. This is my new acquisition and I'm so happy with it.

This is a 100% view converted in C1-7. F/3.5

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
85/1.4 ... the debate

I'm all in for illustrations in a lens debate :thumbup:

I'm aware that I have already shown this one elsewhere, but I think it illustrates quite well that the f/1.4 G Nikkor is no dog either :)

©lick for actual pixels

© • Nikon D800E • AF-S Nikkor 1.4/85mm G • 1/125 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 100 • Lightroom 4.3

johnnygoesdigital

Antonio-
that's a great photo because it shows the lack of CA, and great OOF, in what might be considered challenging light.

Here's a recent publicity shot of a young actress using the 85mm 1.4G. This is one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Last edited:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
85/1.4 ... the debate

thanks, Antonio

and I can only second what Johnny says, it's a fabulous optic

(at least I'm impressed by my own copy of the lens - as usual with regards to photo gear, sample variation is a nasty variable)

Last edited:
Thanks Johnny, I'm sure the 85mm 1.4G it's, for what I have seen here, a superb lens, the 9 blades makes it a step better than the 1.8 in terms of defocus bokeh.
Steen I remember an image you posted in NEF of the London Eye. That was amazingly sharp.
Two things these lenses share: First is the nano coating which makes them very flare resistant and Second is the sharpness.
Dave's comparison images is one example of this flare resistance. I experience the same when compare de 45-85mm Pentax 645 FA against the Nikon 85mm 1.8 G.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
However, there was just one tiny little photo where there have been some kind of ... bewilderment. At least to my feelings - maybe there's a big :talk028: of :cussing: (hopefully NOT :rolleyes:).

The "Artful images" section is unfortunately very poorly attended (at least what I see) and even worse updated with new pics -
landscapes vs. girls: 100:1

S.
stanROX.com
Stan,

You'd be surprised how well "attended" your (and Bob's) artful nudes and semi-nudes are -- the difference is they're not as commonly replied to with compliments as most landscapes are ;-)

Oh, and I just bought a great copy of the 85.1,4G -- didn't really need it, but wanted it LOLOL!

dmeckert

update.

just picked up the 50 and 85 Gs via the forums...a buddy was looking for a 50 for his newly switched to d600. what better opportunity than to sell the old one and upgrade to the new one, especially when...blah blah blah...justifying new toys...etc. lol

anywho...this means the 85/1.8G will be here next week. i don't necessarily have high hopes that it will sufficiently replace the 1.4G...but, maybe it's close enough...i like $1000 in my pocket (trying to pare down photography holdings...i'm more interested in having LASIK, going on vacation, and sprucing up my house...and large format film. lol).

so watch out for real world test shots in the coming weeks. should be fun to try the 85s out showdown style.

dmeckert

after a few very informal shots this evening and yesterday afternoon, i have a few thoughts on the 85 1.4/1.8 comparison.

the 85 1.8 seems to be noticeably a touch sharper at the larger apertures. the vignetting at 1.8 on the 1.8 is astounding...covering 3/4 of the frame and causing it to seem quite darker than it should. worse than the 1.4 for sure. bokeh goes to the 1.4, no question, but the 1.8 is a vast improvement over its predecessor, and has a charm of its own. focus fall-off of the 1.4 is untouchable, and it's why i love that lens so much.

a few samples. d600 at 1600 ISO under low wattage lights that are on their last legs, and then kicked up a half stop in LR. lol.

in order, should be: 1.8 @ 1.8, 1.4 @ 1.8, 1.4 @ 1.4. will double check though.

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I recently added the 85/1.4G to my lens stable. I am more impressed with it every time I use it. To compare it and the 105DC can be an exercise in minutia -- both wide open, DC zeroed, they are both laser sharp centrally with wonderful oof renderings. I should mention the 85 at f1.4 and 105 at f2 have virtually identical DoF's at a given subject distance.

The 85/1.4G has more (I hesitate to use the word better, because it may not be) micro-contrast, but then this tends to move away from the more classic LF look I get out of the 105DC. The 85 also has slightly better global contrast, though not hugely so.

Both are 10's on my favorite "look lenses" chart, and yet render differently enough I find reason to happily keep and carry both depending on the job at hand. That said, the 105DC will probably now be relegated primarily to people or specific product/still-life shots where its tunable oof is handy, while the 85 will see more use across all spectrums of my photography.

If I could only own one, it would be a tougher call -- too many traits about each I like. In the end, I would have to say that for *most* people, the 85/1.4 is going to be the more useful lens -- it is simpler to use, focuses faster and it's a focal I think is more generally versatile for prime lens shooting.

sflxn

Are there any direct image comparisons between the D and G lenses? I've tried to find some on the internet, but all I've really found were bokeh comparisons. There are two things I really hate about the D version. The first is lack of AF-S, which is more annoying when you know the focus is not spot on. The second is the yellow tint that lens had. I have the D version, but I ended up using my 24-70 most of the time because of those two nitpicking points. When I did use the 85/1.4D, I always switched it to manual focus mode. I'd love to see image comparisons between the two, with emphasis on sharpness across the entire frame.

dmeckert

finally getting to shoot a bit.

in addition, i picked up a dirt cheap d800 (which is a whole other conundrum, but i digress).

i think i may be fine with the 85/1.8G when it comes down to it. more testing to do, but the dof falloff is pretty darn nice.

this is my friend Zoë. we were doing a few shots related to her blog, and i also used her to tweak my AF adjustment and grab a few test shots.

and at 100%