The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which lenses to take on vacation ?

Magic

Hello,

I am sorry to start a similiar thread but since many members here are living in the US, I think/hope it should be OK.

We are going to Los Angeles, Las Vegas and San Francisco next week and I am very restricted regarding the weight that I can/want to carry.

So far I put the 24-70/2.8, the 15mm/2.8 Fisheye and the 105/2.8 in the bag. On previous holiday trips I also brought the 70-200/2.8 but figured out that I only used it for 5 shots or so.....so this one has to stay at home for sure. My other lenses are 50/1.4 and 85/1.4.

My question now basically is, if you would recommend to bring the 105/2.8 to the destinations mentioned above ?

Thank you for your replies.

Greetings, Jurgen

C

Citation2b

It all depends on what you want to shoot! I'm just back from Burma & Thailand, and my main subjects were portraiture and some city/landscapes. I travel light with only 50mm, 90 mm and a 17-40mm. The 24-70 brick and the 70-200mm are just too much for this lazy photog. And I got all I wanted.

rayyan

Jurgen.

Having seen your wonderful images from Sheikh Zayed Mosque, and having
Visited the 3 places you mention in the States, my recommendation is:

1. 50/1.4

2. If really needed, the 85/1.4

Honestly, I would not need anything else. Just enjoy the places.

Best regards.

p.s #2 above would be a big stretch for me.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I agree with Rayyan about the 50 f/1.4. I would also take the 15mm fisheye. It would be a lot of fun to have that lens, especially in Las Vegas to capture lobbies, the mall, the strip, etc. Light kit is good when traveling.

Magic

Hello Cindy, hello rayyan,

thank you very much for your replies/recommendations. I think I will leave the 105 at home since it is quite heavy and rather take the 50/1.4, knowing that I already cover that area with the 24-70 but especially in LV the 1.4 might become handy.

Thank you again.

Greetings, Jurgen

mark1958

When i travel for work or vacation-- I bring the 24-120 and Zeiss 18mm/3.5. Sometimes i bring the 105mm Macro. If i travel mainly for photography-- then I bring specific lenses for what I expect to be shooting (e.g. landscapes vs wildlife).

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
For me. Nothing it's a vacation. Last thing I want to do on vacation is shoot this is just more work for me. ROTFLMAO

Seriously I would go 18, 24-70 and maybe my sigma 150. Really would depend on my agenda and location. Than again its pretty rare I actually take anything at all. I'm after a break when it comes to vacation.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
If it was me, looking at what you have: 24-70/2.8 and 85/1.4

If it was me with no limitations: 24, 50 and 85mm all f/1.4 of course.

35 plus 85mm f/1.4 is also an excellent combo, but somewhat limiting for architecture.

Magic

Thank you all for your thoughts and tips :thumbs:.

I decided to take the 15mm, the 50/1.4 and the 24-70 which -hopefully- will cover most of it.

Greetings, Jurgen

M8X

Good choice! Your camera has tons of resolution to crop if you really need to.

Safe travel and have fun!