The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon 50/1.8G or 50/1.4G

Amin

I just bought a D600, and I'm planning to most likely buy the new Sigma 35/1.4 lens but will be starting out with a Bower/Samyang/Rokinon 35/1.4 initially to see if I can tolerate that kind of size/weight in a 35.

Now I'm looking for a good autofocus 50. I've ruled out the Sigma because the two Nikons both seem more than decent, and the Sigma is a lot heavier. Plus there are too many reports of focus issues with the Sigma.

Price is not a factor for me between the two Nikon 50s. The obvious plus for the 1.4G is speed. The 1.8G is lighter and faster focusing. From poring over Flickr group samples and other comparisons, I think I like the 1.8G bokeh at f/1.8 better than I like the 1.4G bokeh at f/1.8, with the former being a bit swirlier (I like swirly up to a point) and less hard edged.

Which of these two lenses would you recommend and why?

fotom

Hi Amin,

I had the 50/1,4G with a D3s, D3x and a D800. I would not take it again. Focussing is slow, so if AF- speed matters take the 1,8G. It is faster.

The sharpness is quite good with the 1,4G, but it is getting better at f2. For a few shots I had an old 1,8D and a new 1,8G. The 1,8G´s AF was fast, has less weight and is quite good at f1,8 and gets better with every stop down.

I still do not like the 1,8D. Neither in speed nor in the results of the pictures.

Even if money doesn´t matter, take the 1,8G.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
The 50 1.8 G is really a sharp lens. Cheap build but for 220 dollars almost a sin not to have unless your after more of a look lens than get the 1.4g. The 1.4G has a little better bokeh

Amin

Thanks, all. Here are a few interesting comparisons I found:

1) Test sample Nikkor 50/1.8G 50/1.4G 50/1.8D

Above link shows bokeh for both lenses at f/1.8 and also shows less axial CA for the 1.8G lens.

2) lens review: Nikon 50mm f/1.4G vs Nikon 50mm f/1.8G « Neil vN – tangents

Above link also shows the bokeh for both lenses at f/1.8 as well as f/2.8. Bokeh is very similar except a bit more swirly for the 1.8G (which I like).

3) Nikon 50mm f/1.4G blurry quality at large apertures: Is this normal? « Nikon Rumors Forum

Above shows the 1.8G to be significantly more resistant to veiling glare as well as less axial CA.

I think I'm going to go for the 1.8G. Seems like a lot of lens for very little money.

Guy Mancuso

I have had it two times now and I keep selling it to buy something else. LOL But I'm buying it again. Hopefully 3 times the charm. Dont even say it , I know one sick puppy. LOL

Amin

LOL. I keep telling myself never to sell a great lens, because I've regretted it so many times: Nokton 50/1.5, Zeiss ZM 50/2, ZF 50/2, M-Hexanon 50/2, OM 40/2, ZF 35/2, etc etc. We're all sick :).

I recently advised my brother Bijan to join GetDPI, so he'll probably come across this thread. I had advised him to get the 50/1.4G for his D800 :eek:. I think think the 1.4G is a sweet lens. There's no substitute for speed, and I even like the veiling glare sometimes. Still, I'm gonna pick up the cheaper 1.8G - it's the right one for me.

Guy Mancuso

Yea Im more a 35mm lens guy than a 50mm so put my money in the 35mm but still like having a 50mm for the occasions I need it so the 1.8 G works fine.

gustavo

I´ve got the 1.8g with the d800e, and I like it. I sold the 1.8d and bought the 1.8g, good deision.

I got the 1.8g as an afterthought for my d800. It's ended up being the only lens I've used on a big project over the last four months. Feels cheap, and I'm not in love with the manual focus ring (which I use 99% of the time for this work) but optically it has been perfect. Not one complaint.

Here's a comparison of practically every 50 available for Nikon. Should be good for a solid hour of procrastination. With some caveats, the author makes the 1.8g his top pick.