The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D3x likely official next week

Lars

Nikon USA accidentally posted press photos of D3x today, then removed them quickly.

Henry Goh

LOL... there's no accident

several times already these brands like Nikon, Canon "accidentally" leak pictures through their web site for a few hours. It has become a stale trick but of course to us who are waiting for the next camera, it's exciting. I'm all wide-eyed waiting to see what a D3X is like.

Tahnks for the tip-off.

Lars

Well Nikon is holding press conferences on Monday morning all over Europe and it's a holiday over in the US starting today, so my guess is it was an honest mistake by an overstressed web developer trying to get everything in place before turkey day.

As far as I know, no specs were seen. Just a D3 with an "x".

V

Vivek

Two key aspects that I would watch out for are:

1. Price (would it compare with Sony's?).

2. Improved liveview. As implemented (D300, d3) the liveview feature sucks.

Nigel Rea

Just opened my issue of Nikon Pro magazine that arrived in the post this morning and it contains the full story on the D3x.

Described as an "Ultra-high definition 24.5 megapixel flagship takes DSLR into medium-format terrain"

Looks good.

Nigel

A

asabet

Three new lenses are also coming according to Kamera & Bild: AF-S 35mm f/1.8, AF-S 135mm f/1.8, and AF-S 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6 VR.

woodyspedden

Not a 35/1.4? Grrrrrr.
Marc

Let's forget about Nikon Primes. The good news is that Zeiss optics (including the wonderful 35 2.0) are just remarkable. Would I like a 35 1.4? You bet and I bet it will happen in the very near future.

Love my Nikons and love the Zeiss glass. Just wish that Nikon would get the needed AF primes for those of us who like to shoot this way.

Happy Thanksgiving Michigan man! LOL

Woody

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The new lenses sound interesting, particularly if they can perform better than the current 35/2 and 28/1.4. I agree that 1.8 sounds less inviting and you'd almost expect something closer to 1.2 or 1.0 with today's technology, particularly given the applications for primes vs zooms nowadays.

I'm eager to hear how the D3x performs in real use. I can easily see it joining my outfit later next year if it can compare favorably with the D3 - i.e. not just on resolution.

etrigan63

I have to agree with you Graham. I am crafting an analysis of the Nikon Pro article (acquired second hand as I don't own enough Nikon Pro kit to qualify as a member of NPS) and one of my points is the encroachment of 35mm sensors into the MFD space. Nikon is the 4th 35mm camera maker to cross over into 20+ Mpx space and is now starting to blur the distinction between 35mm and low end MFD. Depending on the price of the D3x, I may sell off my beloved M8 and my D300 to get this camera. Especially for landscape work.

fotografz

Marc

Let's forget about Nikon Primes. The good news is that Zeiss optics (including the wonderful 35 2.0) are just remarkable. Would I like a 35 1.4? You bet and I bet it will happen in the very near future.

Love my Nikons and love the Zeiss glass. Just wish that Nikon would get the needed AF primes for those of us who like to shoot this way.

Happy Thanksgiving Michigan man! LOL

Woody
Back at you Woody :)

What would really thrill me is a Zeiss AF 35/1.4 for the A900. Or an AF 28/2 would work for me also.:thumbup:

Stuart Richardson

I agree that it not being 1.4 is a bit of a drag, but 1.8 is only half a stop away, and I would certainly rather have a 1.8 than none at all. At 1.8, maybe it will even be small!

V

Vivek

The 35/1.8 could be a better lens than the 35/1.4 AiS. The field curvature in 35/1.4 could be vastly improved and any side by side comparison would make the DOF renditions from the f/1.4 lens could make them look less shallow.

Many Nikon fans swear by the 35/1.4 but soon could realize that there are better things possible. Not a bad thing at all. :)

Stuart Richardson

I agree, after being used to shooting the 35/1.4 ASPH, 35/2 M-Hexanon and 35/1.4 Summilux R, I would rather it be a truly excellent 1.8 than an acceptable 1.4.

fotografz

Bah-Humbug!

Canon makes a pretty good 35/1.4 ... a very usable lens for low light work ... Nikon needs to wake up and make some really fast new available light lenses with AFS, nano coating and all that.

Wish I never sold my 28/1.4. Now I can't afford to buy one back.

fotografz

I have to agree with you Graham. I am crafting an analysis of the Nikon Pro article (acquired second hand as I don't own enough Nikon Pro kit to qualify as a member of NPS) and one of my points is the encroachment of 35mm sensors into the MFD space. Nikon is the 4th 35mm camera maker to cross over into 20+ Mpx space and is now starting to blur the distinction between 35mm and low end MFD. Depending on the price of the D3x, I may sell off my beloved M8 and my D300 to get this camera. Especially for landscape work.
4 makers? Canon, then Sony and now Nikon .... who's the 4th?

35mm sensors into MFD space? Really? In what way?