The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon D90 Thread

clay stewart

I haven't seen much talk about this camera around here, so, since I just got one, I thought I would start a thread.

I had this 20 2.8 sitting around, since selling my D300 and I was missing something close to 28 mm in a prime and the movie mode really intrigued me, so the rest is history.

I have to admit that the recent DXO reports on it's DR pushed me the last little bit to get it.

Anyway, so far, I think I like it and the DR does seem to out do my Oly a fair bit.

The movie mode, which I never used on any of the Point and shoots I've owed over past several years, really seems to be something useful, for the fun factor, if nothing else. I did a short clip yesterday with a friend of mine and a 10.5 fisheye, that had us laughing so hard we were in tears.

I'm still getting used to the 20 again, so I don't have much to show, but here is one from yesterday.

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

Nice shots Clay, how do you find manual focusing with this camera?
And since you've had the D300, do you find the resolution of the D90 (marginally) inferior? I'm of course refering to the dpreview test of same. Personally I'm still unconvinced by the results simply because the test images apparently were shot by different lenses.
The DXO results indicates that the D90 sensor is superb in every respect (and better than D300 and the Canon equivalents), but they don't measure resolution.

clay stewart

Nice shots Clay, how do you find manual focusing with this camera?
And since you've had the D300, do you find the resolution of the D90 (marginally) inferior? I'm of course refering to the dpreview test of same. Personally I'm still unconvinced by the results simply because the test images apparently were shot by different lenses.
The DXO results indicates that the D90 sensor is superb in every respect (and better than D300 and the Canon equivalents), but they don't measure resolution.
Hi Arne. I think manual focus is better than most, like the Canon 20D and Rebels or my E420 or E330 but not as good as 5D, D700 or D300. I don't have the D300 any more, so I can't give you a side by side comparison, but my feeling is that there really isn't much difference between the two as far as image quality goes. I tried to find a difference in 12 bit and 14 bit, when I had the D300, but really couldn't tell the difference, maybe others can.

One thing for sure is the live view is much better implemented in the D90 and it is smaller and lighter, and it has a movie mode.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Clay,
I agree that the D90 is a nice size (and rather compact, even with a vertical grip). I wish it had the user interface and AF modes of the D300 though.

clay stewart

Clay,
I agree that the D90 is a nice size (and rather compact, even with a vertical grip). I wish it had the user interface and AF modes of the D300 though.
Hi Jorgen, I know there is different AF modules, but I really haven't noticed anything substantial. To tell you the truth, the last wedding I shot with the D300, I was a bit disappointed with the AF hunting during the reception, which was indoors with plenty of window light coming in from midday sunshine. Still haven't figured that one out. I know the low light focusing is much better than Olympus has, other than the E3, which I haven't tried.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, is the difference between shooting Adobe RGB and SRGB. I've never had a camera that there was so much difference. It has always been rather subtle differences, but the D90 is like night and day with SRGB being the winner, for me.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Hi Jorgen, I know there is different AF modules, but I really haven't noticed anything substantial. To tell you the truth, the last wedding I shot with the D300, I was a bit disappointed with the AF hunting during the reception, which was indoors with plenty of window light coming in from midday sunshine. Still haven't figured that one out. I know the low light focusing is much better than Olympus has, other than the E3, which I haven't tried.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, is the difference between shooting Adobe RGB and SRGB. I've never had a camera that there was so much difference. It has always been rather subtle differences, but the D90 is like night and day with SRGB being the winner, for me.
Clay,
The big difference with the AF is mainly the ergonomic part, being able to choose mode by the flick of a switch on the D300 (or the S5 that I use). To me, that makes a lot of difference. Same with the ISO obviously. Sometimes, I simply don't have time to remove my eyes from the viewfinder.

Interesting to hear about the superior sRGB. I always preferred that, but have been convinced that Adobe RGB is "better for me".

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
The AIS lenses won't meter? That throws a small wrench in my plans. :cussing: :cry:
It's very annoying. Old Nikkors meter on Olympus, Panasonic and Canon (stop down metering), but not on "amateur" Nikons. I suppose it's a way to push more high-end cameras to those who own legacy lenses :mad:

clay stewart

I liked the light with this one as well as the composition. I don't know if it does anything for anyone else, but here it is.

Last edited:

clay stewart

I've been trying to bond with this new camera. It seems like a pretty good balance between size, weight and performance as well as having the availability of decent small AF primes.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've found it difficult with the DSLR's of the past seven or eight years, to find a good balance, and feel as comfortable as I did with some film bodies of the past, like the M6, OM1, FM2, that had offered all the qualities I just mentioned. I'm sort of getting tired of buying new cameras every year or so and I've been anxious to get one that I can call good enough. It might be too early to tell, but the D90 is promising.

D90 50 1.8D at 2.2, ISO 1000

Last edited:

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Clay,
I like the last one a lot. The first one is a bit too dark for my taste.

I've just spent another weekend with my D80 and a couple of lenses, and found that I like it so much that I consider buying the D90 as well. Compact size, even with the grip, and lots of performance for a reasonable price. My only gripes are some ergonomic disadvantages compared to D300 and S5 (particularly AF modes), and obviously the fact that it doesn't meter with AIS lenses.