The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nikon d800 and 800E price reduction

jsf

I did not think it would happen so soon, but Nikon just announced a $200 "instant rebate" on several models. So since it is my birthday today my wife surprised me with "look honey we can save $200 and free shipping, it is your birthday, let's buy it today" Of course she could have been trying to kill me with shock, I hadn't thought of that. I am eligible for Medicare today, hoo boy that's old. Anyway it comes on Thursday, it will probably take me a week to read the manual. It took me a day to set up the d700. Of course I followed up immediately with "Ah gee honey all I have are these forty year old lenses, maybe...." Oddly, she was not amused, wives, go figure. Joe

Shashin

Happy birthday. The camera does come with a quick guide. It really is not that difficult to use--just push a button and turn a dial.

BTW, you could say your old lenses don't work with this model--it was a design change needed for the 100 gigi-bite photo-pixel-exposo-range-multiplier.

jsf

Thank you Po-Ming Chu. Shashi, of course, the old design change, why didn't I think of that? However I wouldn't mind 100 gigi bites, but I am sure she would not think that was funny. Perhaps I shouldn't press my luck. I am hoping the old little beasts will work on the 800 E, we will see awfully quick, since I will probably try the darn thing out just as soon as the battery is charged. Joe

Shashin

Thank you Po-Ming Chu. Shashi, of course, the old design change, why didn't I think of that? However I wouldn't mind 100 gigi bites, but I am sure she would not think that was funny. Perhaps I shouldn't press my luck. I am hoping the old little beasts will work on the 800 E, we will see awfully quick, since I will probably try the darn thing out just as soon as the battery is charged. Joe
Take a few pictures of your wife with the new camera and show her what she looks like at 100%. If she is anything like my wife (beautiful and charming), she will probably let you invest in a really good soft-focus lens.

jsf

I have one, an old 28mm f/3.5, I made the mistake of using my 105mm f/2.5 trying to impress her with its resolution capability. Delete, delete, delete, I thought her pores looked really cool, and those little hairs, you could really see them, she was yet one more time not easily amused. She says I am obsessed just because I always ask her "wow, do you think this is sharp enough?" I used to think that creativity and talent trumped resolution, but now I realize all I have is resolution. Joe

danielmoore

This is going to sound sacrilegious but less than perfectly sharp lenses I believe still benefit from all those pixels. I have a Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that simply can't resolve to the sensor's ability but the look of those files is beautiful nonetheless. I won't go any further with it than that. Except this, I shot a client with the D800E and 70-200 VRII and made the mistake of showing actual pixels on screen, she looked mortified.

Magic

I have one, an old 28mm f/3.5, I made the mistake of using my 105mm f/2.5 trying to impress her with its resolution capability. Delete, delete, delete, I thought her pores looked really cool, and those little hairs, you could really see them, she was yet one more time not easily amused. She says I am obsessed just because I always ask her "wow, do you think this is sharp enough?" I used to think that creativity and talent trumped resolution, but now I realize all I have is resolution. Joe
Hahaha....sounds familiar. Maybe enough material for a new thread like "Bought D800 and my wife doesn't talk to me anymore...":D

Greetings, Jurgen

jsf

Another great mystery about wives. One tank of gas, one bag of groceries, one pair of shoes, not enough. But one camera, more than enough. I guess I forgot to tell her that my version of CS5 doesn't recognize the NEF files. I can almost hear the conversation now. Joe

jsf

I would think that with a 17-35 it might be worse, at least with a 200 there is compression. Joe

Magic

Another great mystery about wives. One tank of gas, one bag of groceries, one pair of shoes, not enough. But one camera, more than enough. I guess I forgot to tell her that my version of CS5 doesn't recognize the NEF files. I can almost hear the conversation now. Joe
Does your wife know my wife ??? :eek::D

Greetings, Jurgen (sorry for OT)