Site Sponsors

Thread: Nikon d800 and 800E price reduction

Post Thanks / Like

Nikon d800 and 800E price reduction

I did not think it would happen so soon, but Nikon just announced a $200 "instant rebate" on several models. So since it is my birthday today my wife surprised me with "look honey we can save $200 and free shipping, it is your birthday, let's buy it today" Of course she could have been trying to kill me with shock, I hadn't thought of that. I am eligible for Medicare today, hoo boy that's old. Anyway it comes on Thursday, it will probably take me a week to read the manual. It took me a day to set up the d700. Of course I followed up immediately with "Ah gee honey all I have are these forty year old lenses, maybe...." Oddly, she was not amused, wives, go figure. Joe
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Nikon d800 and 800E price reduction

Happy Birthday Joe!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Happy birthday. The camera does come with a quick guide. It really is not that difficult to use--just push a button and turn a dial.

BTW, you could say your old lenses don't work with this model--it was a design change needed for the 100 gigi-bite photo-pixel-exposo-range-multiplier.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Po-Ming Chu. Shashi, of course, the old design change, why didn't I think of that? However I wouldn't mind 100 gigi bites, but I am sure she would not think that was funny. Perhaps I shouldn't press my luck. I am hoping the old little beasts will work on the 800 E, we will see awfully quick, since I will probably try the darn thing out just as soon as the battery is charged. Joe

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jsf View Post
    Thank you Po-Ming Chu. Shashi, of course, the old design change, why didn't I think of that? However I wouldn't mind 100 gigi bites, but I am sure she would not think that was funny. Perhaps I shouldn't press my luck. I am hoping the old little beasts will work on the 800 E, we will see awfully quick, since I will probably try the darn thing out just as soon as the battery is charged. Joe
    Take a few pictures of your wife with the new camera and show her what she looks like at 100%. If she is anything like my wife (beautiful and charming), she will probably let you invest in a really good soft-focus lens.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I have one, an old 28mm f/3.5, I made the mistake of using my 105mm f/2.5 trying to impress her with its resolution capability. Delete, delete, delete, I thought her pores looked really cool, and those little hairs, you could really see them, she was yet one more time not easily amused. She says I am obsessed just because I always ask her "wow, do you think this is sharp enough?" I used to think that creativity and talent trumped resolution, but now I realize all I have is resolution. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is going to sound sacrilegious but less than perfectly sharp lenses I believe still benefit from all those pixels. I have a Rokinon 85 f/1.4 that simply can't resolve to the sensor's ability but the look of those files is beautiful nonetheless. I won't go any further with it than that. Except this, I shot a client with the D800E and 70-200 VRII and made the mistake of showing actual pixels on screen, she looked mortified.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why do you think so many women love Instigram and Holgas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have one, an old 28mm f/3.5, I made the mistake of using my 105mm f/2.5 trying to impress her with its resolution capability. Delete, delete, delete, I thought her pores looked really cool, and those little hairs, you could really see them, she was yet one more time not easily amused. She says I am obsessed just because I always ask her "wow, do you think this is sharp enough?" I used to think that creativity and talent trumped resolution, but now I realize all I have is resolution. Joe
    Hahaha....sounds familiar. Maybe enough material for a new thread like "Bought D800 and my wife doesn't talk to me anymore..."

Greetings, Jurgen

Post Thanks / Like

Another great mystery about wives. One tank of gas, one bag of groceries, one pair of shoes, not enough. But one camera, more than enough. I guess I forgot to tell her that my version of CS5 doesn't recognize the NEF files. I can almost hear the conversation now. Joe

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just don't photograph your wife with a 200 F2 or divorce is a sure thing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that with a 17-35 it might be worse, at least with a 200 there is compression. Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Another great mystery about wives. One tank of gas, one bag of groceries, one pair of shoes, not enough. But one camera, more than enough. I guess I forgot to tell her that my version of CS5 doesn't recognize the NEF files. I can almost hear the conversation now. Joe
    Does your wife know my wife ???

Greetings, Jurgen (sorry for OT)