The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Help! Looking for "old/small/fast" manual 35mm prime for my D800

rchisholm

Hello! I am looking for a small in size, fast (1.x to 2) 35mm prime for my D800. I have an old manual 24mm f 2.8 that I enjoy shooting and I'd like a fast 35. I find manually focusing longer lenses is a bit trickier but I think a 35mm would still be ok. Anyone know any decent old lenses I might look on ebay or something for? Thanks -rob

Dustbak

AIS 35/2.0, is about the smallest fast Nikon 35 mm you can get. I used to own one and found it a nice lens. Another option, though not 35mm, might be a 40mm pancake. Voigtlander for instance.

dubes

+1 on the 35 f/2 AIS. Nice little lens, though not the sharpest at f/2 (definitely usable though), and much smaller / lighter than the 35 f/1.4. No idea what they're going for these days, so they may not be any cheaper than a used 35mm f/2 AF-D. (Note that there are inconsistent reports as to whether the AF-D is optically the same as, better than, or worse than the AIS version.)

pophoto

The last 35/2 is small and both AF/manual focus as well. +1 with the Voightlander 40/2 which manual only, which is both well made and and sharp.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Or you can get a 35mm F1.4 new
NIKKOR 35mm f/1.4 from Nikon

(...)

whoa, 1165 USD for a new sample of the manual focus AI-S 1.4/35mm

in that case I would definitely go with a used autofocus AF-S 1.4/35mm at more or less the same price

viablex1 has a sample of the modern, fast, autofocus 35mm AF-S for sale right now at 1200 USD here

not exactly small though, so maybe I'm too off topic