The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

800e Mirror-up

cerett

I am new to this camera. Is there any way to shoot a continuous series of bracketed images with the mirror-up during the entire sequence?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Not directly. You can fire the sequence with an external intervalometer app via USB but it'll still do the mirror up sequence.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Hi cerett
I do not think it is possible to raise the mirror and then have a continuous series of bracketed images taken before the mirror lowers again.

But to avoid camera shake from your shutter release pressure as well as the mirror slap (e.g. when combining EV bracketed captures into one HDR image) you can combine these features:

Bracketing settings (see p. 132-134 + p. 307-308 in the User Manual)
c3 Self-timer delay (to avoid camera shake from your shutter pressure, see p. 106 + 291 in the User Manual)
c3 Self-timer Number of shots (to avoid camera shake from your shutter pressure, see p. 106 + 291 in the User Manual)
c3 Self-timer Interval between shots (see p. 106 + 291 in the User Manual)
d4 Exposure delay (to avoid camera shake from the mirror slap, see p. 293 in the User Manual)

Here's an example of what actually to do, step-by-step (just a learning-by-doing example, instead of reading)

• MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> e5 Auto bracketing set >> e.g. AE & flash >> OK
• Press the BKT button (top left) and rotate the main (back) command dial to choose the number of shots (e.g. "F3" = three EVs centered around the correct balanced exposure)
• Press the BKT button and rotate the sub-command (front) dial to choose the exposure increment, e.g. 1.0 EV)
• Set the Release Mode dial (top left) on Self-timer
• MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> c3 Self-timer delay e.g. 2s >> OK >> Number of shots e.g. 3 >> OK >> Interval between shots e.g. 0,5s >> OK
• MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> d4 Exposure delay e.g. 2s >> OK

And then you should be ready to fire.
With a rock solid tripod and head you shouldn't have any problems left with camera shake.

Also see Jan Brittenson's remark about Vibration Reduction (VR) in this thread

http://www.getdpi.com/forum/nikon/37692-d800e-mup-shutter-delay-timer.html#post422397

Last edited:

Dustbak

Not directly. You can fire the sequence with an external intervalometer app via USB but it'll still do the mirror up sequence.

Simply said, no there is not. This is one of things that irritate me since the D1. How hard could it be, a mirror-up button. There is already a mirror up mode for cleaning purposes so why not a true mirror up is beyond me.

Last edited:

robsteve

Subscriber
Can't you just use live view and manual exposure, moving the shutter speed manually between exposures?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

... but then you have to touch the camera and rotate a dial in between the captures, and thereby maybe move the camera a tad ?

cerett

Thanks - It is as I suspected, but wanted to make sure I was not missing something. I don't understand why the mirror cannot stay up for all exposures until released by some kind of button, etc., like the H4D. That would be very useful for a HDR bracketing sequence. FWIW, I believe the Canon 5D 3 has the same issue.

robsteve

Subscriber

... but then you have to touch the camera and rotate a dial in between the captures, and thereby maybe move the camera a tad ?
I found a motor whirring off three shots created more vibration than just doing three carefully exposed shots. I am new to Nikon, but is there a remote that allows you to change the shutter speeds using the remote?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I found a motor whirring off three shots created more vibration than just doing three carefully exposed shots. I am new to Nikon, but is there a remote that allows you to change the shutter speeds using the remote?
It depends on how much you want to spend and how many cables. Both Promote Control and CamRanger wifi/iPad/iPhone will do this.

mbroomfield

I am new to this camera. Is there any way to shoot a continuous series of bracketed images with the mirror-up during the entire sequence?
Yes you can; turn on AEB, delay, and then shot using live view.

The mirror goes up with LV, after the delay the AEB sequence is shot.

This was discussed and confirmed on Nikon forums early on when the D800's were released. I use it all the time.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Ah yes great, Mike, you are right. Live View does work with Self-timer: Number of shots, I wasn't aware of that.
And thereby the Live View capture can replace the Exposure delay (with regards to avoid camera shake from the mirror slap).
Now that's better than my above mentioned suggestion in post # 3.

So what you do is this, right ?

MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> e5 Auto bracketing set >> e.g. AE & flash >> OK
Press the BKT button (top left) and rotate the main (back) command dial to choose the number of shots (e.g. "F3" = three EVs centered around the correct balanced exposure)
Press the BKT button and rotate the sub-command (front) dial to choose the exposure increment, e.g. 1.0 EV)

Set the Release Mode dial (top left) on Self-timer
MENU button >> CUSTOM SETTING MENU >> c3 Self-timer delay e.g. 2s >> OK >> Number of shots e.g. 3 >> OK >> Interval between shots e.g. 0,5s >> OK

Live View capture (focus and shutter release)

mbroomfield

Hi Steen,
That sounds about right. My D800 stays in that mode as I use it on a tripod for landscape almost exclusively. This mode is pretty inconvenient for hand held shooting (to say the least). I use Nex 5N/7 for hand held stuff.