The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

initial lens lineup for my d800e?

derekw

I'd get the 24-70 (or 24-120). Even a 2-3x zoom is extremely useful in landscape work, where the camera position determines perspective and focal length is used to control framing. This is the same reason I'm fond of wide zooms, even more so. Then get primes or other lenses later for specific needs, or to solve specific problems, or for specific projects. I agree with Jack that corner and maybe even edge performance is overrated. If you buy a Nikon lens then many of the popular tools today will have a lens profile that automatically fixes most chromatic aberrations for you as well. The choice between the 24-70/2.8 and 24-120/4 is a hard one and really very personal. The latter is a bit more practical to carry around, the former a bit stronger optically, especially if you plan to use it wide open (or at f/4).
Sure. Some of the best landscape work being done is with a zoom similar to the 24-120.

Remote SW Vista Vertical - FM Forums

Mark Metternich uses a Canon 24-105 quite a bit, apparently. (many of his images reference the same combo seen in that posting)

He shoots at the images sharpest f stop and focus stacks. (as opposed to stopping down for DOF on landscapes)

He's a wizard in post and obviously has great composition skills. Believe he just uses the tools that best allows him to succeed.