The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

D600 advice?

durrIII

Ok I am looking to inch up to full frame. What is the consensus of the D600 and the kit lens?

I think I waited too late. The $500 discount is gone!

Any suggestions?

thanks

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The dust issue isn't a killer - just clean the sensor like you did with every other camera you had before this generation of dust shakers.

Is the D600 great as a full frame camera? Yes, especially at the price. I personally preferred the 24-120 VR II vs the 24-85 VR kit but the kit lens is no slouch either. It just wasn't for me.

Of course, it also depends on what you shoot too. If it's fast action and low light then you might, just might, be better served by a used D3 or D700. Megapixels be damned!

My only gripe with the D600 is actually the button layout compared to other Nikon bodies. They moved some functionality around like the OK button zoom feature that is on all Nikon pro digital bodies and instead it brings up the retouch menu. I'm sure that this is deliberate to differentiate between the D600 and it's bigger brothers. Ditto the highest 1/4000 shutter speed. Arguably the heritage is from the D7000 and not the D800.

Shashin

Of course, it also depends on what you shoot too. If it's fast action and low light then you might, just might, be better served by a used D3 or D700. Megapixels be damned!
Why do you say that? DxOmark scores the D600 second after the D3x. The D700 is around 8th for ISO. Is it the AF?

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
IMHO Pro build and control layout and the AF. Also if you want speed then adding the grip to the D700 ups the burst speed.

In all other respects I like the D600 a lot. Nikon even finally broke down and recognized that digital shooters want to bracket at more than 1ev increments and added that nice feature for HDR shooters.

For my needs, 24mp is just fine too.