Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Zeiss 35mm f2 and Zeiss 100 f2 macro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Zeiss 35mm f2 and Zeiss 100 f2 macro

Stuart, you mean I'd be safe buying the D3X ...

Post Thanks / Like

Nice pic Steen..!!
    I want to share a pic of my lunch today

Nikon D3X + Zeiss 50/2 Macro Plannar T*
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Subscriber Member Jorgen Udvang's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now I got hungry (no, not your fly, Steen)... and I just had lunch. Beautiful photo in every way, except double-lines in the high contrast areas of the fork and spoon. Is that common with the 50? How about the 100?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm willing to swap my meat for yours, Andree
    It's only fair, I mean you are supposed to be the frogman here

Andree, at some point you need to tell us all about your new D3X.
    The above picture looks very tasty, I would immediately find a seat at that restaurant

By the way, I can't believe you sold your Zeiss ZF 1.4/85. In my opinion your very best and most three dimensional girl pictures were taken with that lens mounted on your D3. Are you now going to buy that lens again or have you found another solution ?
    Ah wait, your new Leica R Summilux 80 with Leitax of course ...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Jorgen, I'm not sure about double-lines in the high contrast area from Zeiss 100/2 (BTW I sold mine too )

Yes Steen, I sold ZF 85 and 100 both to get Summilux 80/1.4.
    I really like ZF 85/1.4 however, this lens is not sharp at F1.4
    Starting at F2, ZF 85/1.4 is really sharp!
    To be honest I really have no idea about the performance of Summilux 80/1.4
    Is it better than ZF 85/1.4 or worse..?? I have no Idea.
    Ever since I've bought Lumix G1 + Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH M lens.
    My perception of high speed lens has changed... In the old days I always though that ANY lens that have fast aperture such as F1.4 will NOT give u a sharp and contrast color. Now everything has changed, Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH M Lens is super sharp at F1.4
    This fact is killing me >_<
    Everytime I'm using ZF 85/1.4 at F1.4, I'm not really happy anymore
    Therefore I decided to sell it and get Summilux 80/1.4
    Moreover, some photos that Hackers posted on this forum (taken with D3 + Lux 80/1.4 @F1.4) are really wonderfull... the bokeh, color and sharpness is Top Class.
    That's my reason why I sold my ZF 85/1.4
    Leica M9 | SE 18 | Lux 24 | Lux 50 | ZM 35 | Nikon D700 | 35/1.8 | 45 PC-E | 50/1.4 | 70-200 VR II | SB 800+600 |SF 58|

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I wouldn't expect it to be exactly sharp at f/1.4, but rather smooth, and I mean really butter smooth.
    I expect it's bokeh and rendering as a whole to have significantly more mojo than any other lens you have ever owned until now.
    This is purely from what I have repeatedly seen and read on the net through the last five years, I have not owned this R lens myself. It has been very high on my to-buy list and I have tried to get it in many auctions but with no luck. Right now I have stopped buying used R lenses and for the time being I'm just patiently awaiting what the R system will actually bring.
    Hey wait, I see in my crystal ball that you will end up with an R10 plus a selection of R lenses in ... let me see, 2011.
    Yup, 2011 it is
    And it's all just because of this R 80 Lux purchase, that was when you got hooked
    What I mean is that I'm convinced you will be absolutely thrilled when you get your Leitax kit and you can actually mount that R 80 Lux on your D3X. There seems to be an unusual consensus that this lens is something special.
    I for one am really looking forward to see what that combination can do in your hands.
    Last edited by Steen; 12th April 2009 at 08:49.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, I hope I don't disappoint you, but the 80/1.4 will not be anywhere near as sharp as the 50/1.4 ASPH is at 1.4. It is an older lens design. It is not that sharp from f/1.4 to f/2.5, but after that it is really sharp. However, it has a really beautiful character and is one of the nicest lenses you can buy. I do not own the 80/1.4, but I have the 75/1.4 M lens which is basically the same optical design. It is my favorite M lens. I don't think you will be disappointed at all, but it definitely has a different look than the 50/1.4 ASPH. If you want a look like the 50/1.4 ASPH, the R lenses to get would be the 90/2 APO ASPH or the 100/2.8 APO Elmarit.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Beautiful images on this page guys. Here's one from a shoot today. For a first timer I thought she did great. Her brother was actually the model but with a little arm twisting and the loan of a dress and shoes from my wife she was persuaded.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apologies for posting this on the wrong thread... It was intended for the Fun Images thread.

Post Thanks / Like

Guys! I just received the LEITAX
    Now I'm still at the office, can't wait to go home and do the "small operation"
    so excited..!
    >_<

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

One thing, just make sure the aperture ring moves freely before you tighten down the mount! I managed to freeze the aperture ring on my 180/2.8 APO, even after I had done two mount changes successfully. You need to make sure the little ball bearing is in the right place, but also that it is properly seated in one of the notches on the inside of the new bayonet. This is in the instructions, just make sure you pay close attention to them!
    I don't mean to scare you, it is not difficult, you just have to not be dumb like me...
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's quite all right, Stuart, acc. to GetDPI it's your day today
    Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Steen!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy Birthday Stuart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Lloyd! Now show me some Zeiss 35mm and 100mm photos! I don't want to take over the thread here....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Well, I hope I don't disappoint you, but the 80/1.4 will not be anywhere near as sharp as the 50/1.4 ASPH is at 1.4. It is an older lens design. It is not that sharp from f/1.4 to f/2.5, but after that it is really sharp. However, it has a really beautiful character and is one of the nicest lenses you can buy. I do not own the 80/1.4, but I have the 75/1.4 M lens which is basically the same optical design. It is my favorite M lens. I don't think you will be disappointed at all, but it definitely has a different look than the 50/1.4 ASPH. If you want a look like the 50/1.4 ASPH, the R lenses to get would be the 90/2 APO ASPH or the 100/2.8 APO Elmarit.
    Hi Stuart
    Happy Birthday
    I already finished the conversion of lux 80/1.4
    i Tried it on my D3X... i gues u are right
    this lens is not sharp at F1.4 - F2, starting from F2.5 this lens is super sharp.
    Zeiss 85/1.4 is starting to get sharp at F2.
    Now I need to go out, and try to take a lot of pictures using this combo.
    I want to see the "magic" bokeh

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Lloyd! Now show me some Zeiss 35mm and 100mm photos! I don't want to take over the thread here....
    I'd love to show some, if I had either lens. I'm here to see them too.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing, just make sure the aperture ring moves freely before you tighten down the mount! I managed to freeze the aperture ring on my 180/2.8 APO, even after I had done two mount changes successfully. You need to make sure the little ball bearing is in the right place, but also that it is properly seated in one of the notches on the inside of the new bayonet. This is in the instructions, just make sure you pay close attention to them!
    I don't mean to scare you, it is not difficult, you just have to not be dumb like me...
    Stuart:
    I happened to have had some hang up of the black aperture ring latch of the 180mm/2.8 APO which was not always moving freely when I rotated the aperture ring. I had to solve the problem by filing the inside of the bayonet which was rubbing against this latch. David from Leitax said that he is checking the tight tolerances he gave to his part manufacturer and there are also some small tolerance variations from lens to lens. Converting the Leica lens was a very easy process despite what he may appear.

To come back to this thread (35mm and 100mm ZF) I should be in a position to give my feedback soon. I already played with the 35mm (incredibly sharp) and will receive the 100mm in 2 weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Episa,

Thanks for the advice, but I think it was a different problem here. When I installed the bayonet the first time, it worked perfectly. Only when I was putting it back on, I did not do it correctly. I tightened it down when the ball was not properly situated, and it drove the ball completely into the hole. It is stuck in there and will not come out for anything (not even a neodymium magnet). My local mechanic cannot fix it, so it will have to go to Germany. So like I said, you have to be careful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by episa View Post
    (...) I already played with the 35mm (incredibly sharp) and will receive the 100mm in 2 weeks.
    Great, episa, I'm convinced you're going to like the ZF 2/100. Are you going to get the 2/35 as well ?

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/1600 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=bondo;93226]Great, episa, I'm convinced you're going to like the ZF 2/100. Are you going to get the 2/35 as well ?

Great picture bondo. Yes I will receive the 2/35 as well - actually for the second time. I was able to play with my first acquisition for 2 months around Christmas until I got it stolen from my luggage by the security people of the Kiev airport. I lost also the Nikon D700 attached to it. That was a disaster day for me. I should have known better to keep all camera equipment with me in the airplane. It was a costly lesson. I guess I became too confident living and traveling safely 14 years within the US.

I tried to save since that time and will receive the 2/35 and Nikon D700 replacements at the end of this month. I can't wait to try the 100mm ZF.
    I attached a snow picture taken In January with the 2/35 ZF before it got stolen. I am very pleased with the color rendition, sharpness and contrast.

I have some exciting news!
    I took delivery today of the new Zeiss 2.8/21mm ZF!. Just by taking some casual shots out of the store in the street I could see already that it is an astounding performer in sharpness. I took some unattractive brick shots and flare shots. This lens is sharper than my Nikon D300 can resolve and seems to be sharper than my Nikon 14-24mm f/2.8 which is a reference for Nikon (I will test it with my D700 next month).

With sun in the frame, I got some color cast purple and sometimes green but it was reasonably controlled compared to other wide angle lenses. The colors are extremely contrasty and I am not experiencing this kind of result with a wide angle or normal Nikon lens (I often have to use a polarizer to have a dark blue sky with a Nikon lens: not with this ZF lens!). I guess the 13 lenses that are built in it make that happen.

I will have more time to test it this coming week end, not before unfortunately as I am leaving abroad to a business trip tomorrow.

In the mean time I posted a picture taken today with the ZF 2.8/21mm without any filter nor any post processing correction: only resizing, compressing to 80% jpeg and reducing resolution to 70 dpi to meet the posting limitations.

For those of you interested in getting more details on this test photo, I posted a larger resolution file on flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/3706706...63934/sizes/o/

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Episa, I'm sorry - and angry - to hear about your loss. Getting your D700 + ZF 2/35 stolen by the security people in the airport ... aargh
    Your ZF 2.8/21 shot looks very promising. The above link only leads to a Sign In page but I found your photo collections via the link you posted in the "New Life :Leica R lens on Nikon D3" thread p. 5 post # 97 and I used the slideshow to see your photos in larger size.
    Nice collections and made with some nice gear. I'm looking forward to see your comparison of the ZF 21 and the Nikkor 14-24.
    Welcome aboard.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Zeiss 35mm f2, Zeiss 100 f2 macro and Zeiss 21mm f2.8

Sorry Bondo for the incorrect link for the detailed photo of the ZF21mm and thank you for your compliments and help to redirect viewers to the right place.

Here is the link to my photostream:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

These 2 photos below were taken with ZF21 at f2.8 to see DOF at close range:

Will play and compare 21mm ZF with Nikon AF 14-24mm this Sunday. See you then.....