The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Zeiss 35mm f2 and Zeiss 100 f2 macro

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks a lot Marc :thumbup: ... and here are some other sukkulent macro shots with the Zeiss ZF 2/100

all the above images were shot with Nikon D300 & Zeiss ZF 2/100mm

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
Thanks Stuart, the succulents made great subjects for macro photography, and as I'll probably never get the opportunity to dive at Great Barrier Reef I'll have to do with succulent shots on land :D

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
and after all the above vegetables (actual pixels crop):

Nikon D300 • Zeiss ZF 2/100mm • 1/500 sec. at f/5.6 ISO 200

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Now I got hungry (no, not your fly, Steen)... and I just had lunch. Beautiful photo in every way, except double-lines in the high contrast areas of the fork and spoon. Is that common with the 50? How about the 100?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I'm willing to swap my meat for yours, Andree :angel:
It's only fair, I mean you are supposed to be the frogman here :D

Andree, at some point you need to tell us all about your new D3X.
The above picture looks very tasty, I would immediately find a seat at that restaurant :thumbup:

By the way, I can't believe you sold your Zeiss ZF 1.4/85. In my opinion your very best and most three dimensional girl pictures were taken with that lens mounted on your D3. Are you now going to buy that lens again or have you found another solution ?
Ah wait, your new Leica R Summilux 80 with Leitax of course ...

deepdiver

Hi Jorgen, I'm not sure about double-lines in the high contrast area from Zeiss 100/2 (BTW I sold mine too :D )

Yes Steen, I sold ZF 85 and 100 both to get Summilux 80/1.4.
I really like ZF 85/1.4 however, this lens is not sharp at F1.4
Starting at F2, ZF 85/1.4 is really sharp!
To be honest I really have no idea about the performance of Summilux 80/1.4
Is it better than ZF 85/1.4 or worse..?? I have no Idea.
Ever since I've bought Lumix G1 + Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH M lens.
My perception of high speed lens has changed... In the old days I always though that ANY lens that have fast aperture such as F1.4 will NOT give u a sharp and contrast color. Now everything has changed, Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH M Lens is super sharp at F1.4
This fact is killing me >_<
Everytime I'm using ZF 85/1.4 at F1.4, I'm not really happy anymore :(
Therefore I decided to sell it and get Summilux 80/1.4 :)
Moreover, some photos that Hackers posted on this forum (taken with D3 + Lux 80/1.4 @F1.4) are really wonderfull... the bokeh, color and sharpness is Top Class.
That's my reason why I sold my ZF 85/1.4 :)

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member
I wouldn't expect it to be exactly sharp at f/1.4, but rather smooth, and I mean really butter smooth.
I expect it's bokeh and rendering as a whole to have significantly more mojo than any other lens you have ever owned until now.
This is purely from what I have repeatedly seen and read on the net through the last five years, I have not owned this R lens myself. It has been very high on my to-buy list and I have tried to get it in many auctions but with no luck. Right now I have stopped buying used R lenses and for the time being I'm just patiently awaiting what the R system will actually bring.
Hey wait, I see in my crystal ball that you will end up with an R10 plus a selection of R lenses in ... let me see, 2011.
Yup, 2011 it is :angel:
And it's all just because of this R 80 Lux purchase, that was when you got hooked :lecture:
What I mean is that I'm convinced you will be absolutely thrilled when you get your Leitax kit and you can actually mount that R 80 Lux on your D3X. There seems to be an unusual consensus that this lens is something special.
I for one am really looking forward to see what that combination can do in your hands.

Last edited:

Stuart Richardson

Well, I hope I don't disappoint you, but the 80/1.4 will not be anywhere near as sharp as the 50/1.4 ASPH is at 1.4. It is an older lens design. It is not that sharp from f/1.4 to f/2.5, but after that it is really sharp. However, it has a really beautiful character and is one of the nicest lenses you can buy. I do not own the 80/1.4, but I have the 75/1.4 M lens which is basically the same optical design. It is my favorite M lens. I don't think you will be disappointed at all, but it definitely has a different look than the 50/1.4 ASPH. If you want a look like the 50/1.4 ASPH, the R lenses to get would be the 90/2 APO ASPH or the 100/2.8 APO Elmarit.

David K

Workshop Member
Beautiful images on this page guys. Here's one from a shoot today. For a first timer I thought she did great. Her brother was actually the model but with a little arm twisting and the loan of a dress and shoes from my wife she was persuaded.

deepdiver

Guys! I just received the LEITAX :D
Now I'm still at the office, can't wait to go home and do the "small operation"
so excited..!
>_<