Site Sponsors
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Sigma 35mm F1.4

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sigma 35mm F1.4

Okay see what you folks think . Shot with the 35mm Sigma at 1/20 at F8 focused right on his face. I did use two strobes and ISO 100 and the slow shutter was to burn in the TV. On tripod. Normal sharpening that I always do, what I find interesting is at 100 percent the micro detail is really damn good.

here is a 1200 pixel crop at 100 percent

Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea i know , airbrushing in order. LOL
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like

Steven,

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Sorry...
    No need to apologise. I simply am perplexed as to why some apparently place high value on planar performance from a lens intended to be used for genres of photography other than architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    I was just referring to folks who like to shoot landscape and most of us landscape shooters are usually looking for even sharpness across the frame.
    I like to shoot landscape. A lens' non-planar field of focus is not necessarily a bar to high sharpness across the frame; it simply means that depth of field is closer to the camera in some areas than it is in others. When was the last time you viewed a landscape in which all parts of the composition were equidistant from the camera?

Man makes planar objects. Nature very rarely does.
    Last edited by AreBee; 1st April 2013 at 06:19.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    Laser says it all, Guy .

Which actually makes me a little angry. I mean, why now? Why have we had to put up with second rate, soft wide open, mediocrity from so many lenses for so long? Better late than never I suppose.
    Why now ??

The answer is simple :

The Foveon Merrill sensor.

Some of you might not know it but, with the venue of the DPms, SIGMA developed his own MTF test and computing engine, the A1, which use a sensor derivative from the Merrill Sensor.

Other manufacturers use, in general, Zeiss bench and bayer sensor.

The Power of SIGMA is to have his own EXTREMELY critic MTF machine and the wonderful foveon technology. That lead to better lenses than other manufacturers.
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Hulyss

Makes sense. I had not thought of that.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Btw I did use the keystone tool in Capture one but I purposely did not make it dead accurate either for a good reason. If its dead on than the image looks somewhat fake. Funny thing is not sure I'm dead on with focus but damn close enough. I still have to do another fine tuning test on the AF adjust from the repair.

Looking forward to more of these Art series lenses from Sigma. Ill post final after client picks it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps a minisucle amount back focused? Difficult to tell; close enough I'd say.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I'm seeing too

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I dunno, focus looks pretty good to me... I can tell by the catchlight in his pupils that Guy was using what looks like the shape of a Dynalight(?) in a white umbrella! Close enough for sure, especially for a moderate-wide
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes exactly whats from this travel kit. I went out with just the umbrellas for this one. Funny i used Dynalites for many years and got away from them but have gone back to them and have to say they improved them a lot and they are so easy to travel with and they get the job done for little money and you dont look cheap on set either. LOL

Dynalite MK16-1222V RoadMax 1600W/s 2 Head Kit (120V) MK16-1222V

For bigger shoots I will add heavy duty stands and big Octa boxes and soft boxes . So I can go very light or go for broke with everything on hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Last frame of the shoot picked by client and this time i nailed the focus. Okay key stoning , a little cropping and distortion control plus airbrushing which is mostly under the eyes and dust spots. If you look real close there is moire. I love moire it tells me Im sharp as ****. LOL

This is so small that Im not going to correct it.

For 900 dollars you need to buy this lens without a blink of a eye.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sigma - the new Leica???! Might be with their new lens line (but at a fraction of the cost).
    Quentin Bargate

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This lens does seem promising. I'll be trying one soon for a ski event. I'm excited about AF. but might miss my ZF.2 21mm's perspective. Interestingly, I'll also have a Nikon 35mm 1.4G on set too...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I notice that the latest version of ACR now has a profile for the Sigma 35mm F/1.4
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

As per Sigma being the new Leica - I have been working hard with the M240 to review it and shooting the 35 Lux FLE a lot and actually the lenses are similar in some ways, in terms of field curvature (though I think that is better controlled on the Leica) and in terms of OOF rendering (bit busy on both) and in terms of wide open 'look'. Neither lens is anything like as accurate, especially wide open, as the Zeiss on the RX-1 but both have more character.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a stellar lens... my new favorite!
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 13th April 2013 at 07:07.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steen View Post

Imagine what a revolution such a dock would be if it really enables the end-user to AF-fine-tune the lenses and why not at a later stage also cameras ?

A Do-It-Yourself AF-fine-tune kit. That would be awesome.

In theory it has the potential to save the manufacturer a lot of money and the customers a lot of frustration, good reasons why it ought not to be all that expensive.

Just for once the rather worn out Win-Win Situation phrase would make a lot of sense.

Think about it, Nikon
    Dock is now listed on the Sigma site at $79, but only available for sigma and canon mount lenses.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like

I too am having problems with same combo: D800E and Sigma 35/1.4. It seems not to focus so well in the middle focus sensor, but does ok with the left and right sensors. Is this 'field curvature'? Do not have this problem with a 1.4 Nikon AFS G lens.

One odd thing: Using regular AF - the center spot misses focus on the Sigma, but turn on live view, zoom LV in on-screen, (leaving the lens on AF, not manual) and it focuses perfectly when you press the shutter. Is that because its using LV contrast detection to focus rather than the AF sensor system?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scho View Post
    Dock is now listed on the Sigma site at $79, but only available for sigma and canon mount lenses.
    They added the Nikon version and price is now $59 at the Sigma store.
    Carl
    Gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just ordered one

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Price (USD)
    Sigma USB Dock
    Nikon
    1.00 59.00
    Subtotal: 59.00
    Shipping (Second Day Air): 10.00
    Total: 69.00
    Billing Information

Post Thanks / Like

Backordered.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Yes exactly whats from this travel kit. I went out with just the umbrellas for this one. Funny i used Dynalites for many years and got away from them but have gone back to them and have to say they improved them a lot and they are so easy to travel with and they get the job done for little money and you dont look cheap on set either. LOL

Dynalite MK16-1222V RoadMax 1600W/s 2 Head Kit (120V) MK16-1222V

For bigger shoots I will add heavy duty stands and big Octa boxes and soft boxes . So I can go very light or go for broke with everything on hand.
    That's a real nice little generator kit for the money Guy. A bit more light than the usual 1200 Ws units from everyone else, and I know from experience that Dynalites are Pro build quality.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just got this email from Sigma

Hello,

Thank you for the order. We expect to receive the USB dock late May. This order will be on backorder.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank you,

Yea but they where happy to take my money also. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused about just what this device can do for me and my Sigma. Can anyone give me a short course on what it does or doesn't help with? Thanks for any info.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may just pass mine around to members

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattpallante View Post
    I'm confused about just what this device can do for me and my Sigma. Can anyone give me a short course on what it does or doesn't help with? Thanks for any info.

Matt
    Update firmware and recalibrate focus such as, for example, if the lens needs more fine tune than your camera allows - that's my understanding.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Update firmware and recalibrate focus such as, for example, if the lens needs more fine tune than your camera allows - that's my understanding.
    Thanks, Tim. I guess that's all good, but it's a shame there is so much variation between the lenses and cameras. Too bad they can't talk to each other and make everything nice. I got lucky with my Sigma to D8oo match, but maybe I'm not as demanding as other folks.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Can someone explain to me why we are having to pay $60+ for a 'Lens Dock' to put firmware onto our lenses that might fix a problem that is Sigma's fault? They should be handing these out freely to anyone who has the issue, period.

Plus, AFAIK, there is no new firmware as yet for this focus error/field curvature problem. So the dock will be useless till that arrives, assuming it does.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    Can someone explain to me why we are having to pay $60+ for a 'Lens Dock' to put firmware onto our lenses that might fix a problem that is Sigma's fault? They should be handing these out freely to anyone who has the issue, period.

Plus, AFAIK, there is no new firmware as yet for this focus error/field curvature problem. So the dock will be useless till that arrives, assuming it does.
    I think you have misconstrued what the dock can fix over what it can do to personalize each lens. From my understanding from early literature and reviews I have read, for example, you can bias say a sports zoom lens to be quicker focusing at the long end over accuracy, for intended purposes. I think out of the box calibration to be fine, but every lens is like every car, there can be lemons. I have the thread title lens for my Canon with no issue. But if you wish to tune your lens or car, they offer such options. I think it largely remains to be seen how useful this dock actually is, I'm in no rush for one, I think the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 A1 lens is a beauty.

When they release the 135 f/1.8 A1 and other rumored 50mm A1 lens, I'll be all over them. If they can bring into market the 24-70 f/2.8 or faster Image stabilized Art lens, that'll be amazing ground what Sigma has achieved with their new lenses. Speculation on my part here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post

Who is to say the problem being fixed is not with the lens but with the camera? I doubt this is in fact "Sigmas fault" at all. It is a solution to camera calibrations issues. Sigma should be applauded, not criticised, for a solution no other lens manufacturer has yet come up with.
    Quentin Bargate
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    Just a heads up to those thinking of getting this lens, you might want to wait a little.

Most of the reviews I have read have been done on cameras of lower resolution than the D800/E and the only exception has only so far looked at close range usage. I have been using a brand new copy extensively for a few days now, intending to review it, and I have found that it is less impressive at the edges than early reviews and MTF charts had led me to hope. This finding is clouded by the fact that mine appears to have a mild decentering, making the right hand side slightly softer, but neither edge qualifies as great on this copy. I have sent samples to Sigma to see if they regard it as within spec but I suspect that, for those awaiting a really good landscape lens in this focal length, this might not be it. I suspect that field curvature is to blame but not until I have a certified good copy can I be sure.

It is remarkably sharp on centre, even wide open. But to give you an example, I was so surprised at the edge performance at far-mid and landscape distances that I made a comparison shot at F4 on a Sony RX1, which I regard as the gold standard for edge and corner sharpness in full frame mid wides, and then I down-resed the Siggy/D800 file to the same pixel dimensions and it was, literally, no contest: sure there was still a touch more detail on centre from the Nikon rig but the Sony easily took the edge trophy.

I have repeated my tests of the Sigma at closer range and it seems somewhat better there (excluding the right hand edge weakness) but still not what I would call critically sharp like the Sony is.

One snowfall does not a winter make, and I will report back on what Sigma have to say, but despite the fact that this lens is very nice on centre, has fairly low distortion and aberrations, good flare resistance and is very sharp indeed wide open on centre, it is not currently looking like the answer to 'sharp across the field' needs. For me, that's still the Sony...
    Wish I read your post before I bought my Sigma 35mm--it has exactly the same problem. Sharp in the center, OK on the left but everything is smeared on the right. Sending it back to the vendor.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spotmeter View Post
    Wish I read your post before I bought my Sigma 35mm--it has exactly the same problem. Sharp in the center, OK on the left but everything is smeared on the right. Sending it back to the vendor.
    Sorry to hear that... I have been wondering about whether I now should try a fourth copy, I so liked the look of the files, but it sounds like that water is still too cold...

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

The only reason I stopped buying the Sigma is because of Tim.

Great review Tim. Thank you.

Now, what about the new Samyang T-S 24? And the upcoming Sigma 135mm?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Alon - I am also itching to get my hands on the Samyang TS but my hopes are being moderated for the following reason:

The reason so many of us got excited was that the Samyang 14mm F2.8 is so great - but thinking about that it becomes clear that Samyang made the decision to allow distortion to 'all hang out' in order to get the other parameters of the lens to perform so well. But that is not an approach that works with a TS lens, because it has to be quite well-corrected since you can't apply lens corrections later with anything like the same simplicity as you can with a normal lens: there are too many permutations of T and S to allow for, and the EXIF doesn't record them for later correction. This, taken into consideration with the brave announcement and then the slow (and AFAIK delayed) delivery implies to me the possibility that Samyang spotted a good marketing gap in the market and decided to aim at it and work out the exact details later. And the devil, as we all know, is in the detail.

I will be the first to hand my congratulations to them if they get it right but I think the anticipation must be tempered by realism.

As per the Siggy 125. Hmmm. I think I'm about to drop some cash on the Zeiss 135 APO instead!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spotmeter View Post
    I just boxed mine up to send it back as well. The smeared edges and pronounced field curvature are non-starters for me.

Post Thanks / Like

For my style the Sigma 35mm 1.4 DG HSM, is the best lens (18 to 35mm FL) I've used on my D800, period. There's no distortion for environmental portraits, the micro contrast is outstanding and colors are 3D like. Perhaps try using the center AF point and just recompose because this really is one of the best lenses for the D800. I've never been one to to toggle the AF points around while looking in the viewfinder, so perhaps It doesn't effect my work as much as others.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I only use the Center focus point as well pretty much all the time in landscape mode. In portrait mode though not so much with this lens but longer I will move the focus point more towards the top or the right CP in landscape mode. I never totally trusted any AF camera to begin with. I'm old school no doubt about it. I turn mostly everything off and many times I will go manual on everything. Frankly I'm better at manual focus than most AF systems, I'm just not as fast.

Starting in the morning the Sigma will be hard at work. I start a 5 day project that will be a lot of pretty close to wide open shots. Looking forward to finally getting some mileage on this lens. I still need a 135 and I may just get the Nikon 135f2 DC instead of the Zeiss.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am not sure all of the negative comments about this lens are well founded. No lens is perfect but the Sigma is better than most. I can't be bothered measuring and testing the lens, I just go out and use it and get great results. Perhaps in different hands fault could be found. Maybe my copy is better than some others. Maybe I'm less fussy. But I'm happy with it and glad I purchased it.

For the record, I have had significant issues with some medium format lenses and the Sigma and D800E is in some small away responsible for my dumping medium format altogether.
    Quentin Bargate

Post Thanks / Like

It's clear that some of us have good copies and some of us have had the 'smeary side' issue (me three times). If I could get a good one, it would be a vey key part of my kit but it just seems tough to achieve that....

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to be getting a D800e before going to Cambodia/Vietnam in June and I am considering getting one of these but worried Ill get a dodgy copy... should I risk it or just get a Nikon copy?? tough decision!
    www.williamophuis.com

Hassy H4D-40.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that depends on who you ask. I absolutely love my Sigma 35mm 1.4. You might have enough time to demo a copy.

I didn't have time to adjust AF points as this skier went almost over me...center point and shoot, fast AF too.
    Last edited by johnnygoesdigital; 18th May 2013 at 06:53.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Will Ophuis View Post
    I am going to be getting a D800e before going to Cambodia/Vietnam in June and I am considering getting one of these but worried Ill get a dodgy copy... should I risk it or just get a Nikon copy?? tough decision!
    What makes you think the Nikon will be any more perfect that a Sigma? The risk, such as it is, applies to pretty much all makes of lens, so as the Sigma is the superior lens design, performs better and costs less, the choice seems simple to me.
    Quentin Bargate