The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 35mm F1.4

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thanks Tim good to know. Ill bring her to the repair shop and see if they can fix it up. Thanks guys for looking at the files still in heavy meetings so have not had a chance to really look at this stuff

vjbelle

Thanks Victor I'm going to test it one more time on a tripod to be sure I am lined up okay and see what happens. This could be my whole AF issue too. Regardless of this copy I want this lens though. I have a Sigma repair shop in my area so I will bring it down there this week and see what they can do.
Guy,

The last thing I want is to go to school on you for something that has gone wrong on your end..... but this is very valuable information. I won't try a copy unless I am confident I can return it, which is fairly easy from the big vendors. Even so, equipment can't be sent back indiscriminately - next thing you know you're on some 'do not sell list':eek:.

Victor

vjbelle

Just so's you know Guy, Lloyd Chambers' copy has a slight decentering too... It may be that the design is prone to it.
Tim,

I also saw that on his latest post..... if we're talking about the same thing. Regardless it doesn't make me feel good about this lens..... if its prone to that design then I'm staying away until I see more positive results.

Victor

tashley

Subscriber Member
Victor, I have a replacement due soon and will report back. For many, this would still be a great lens, it has very nice rendering of certain sorts of bokeh (as long as there aren't lots of defocussed bright hard edges) and it is reasonably flat field (better than a 35Lux I think but can't currently test until new M arrives). It is also gorgeously sharp wide open and even an 'off' copy like mine does clean up at the edges acceptably before diffraction robs the centre badly.

What I want is a wide-ish lens that does for the D800 what that sweet Zeiss does for teh Sony RX-1. My sword will not rest in my hand!

D&A

I think some manufacturers are pushing the design and performance of a given lens to it's limit with regards to price....or conversely sometimes pushing the optical design such as in marketing a unique fast wide ranging focal length zoom lens.

Prototypes in the factory, when hand built and everything is precisely aligned, just barely make top performance specs. When it's religated to the assembly line, most of these lenses in general fall short. Sometimes it's minor differences, sometimes it's major anaomolies like bad decentering. It all depends on the lens design and how much it took to get those hand built smaples to ideal specs.

Sometimes it's simply a matter of a manufacturer to get a lens to perform at a level where none has gone before in a particular format and price range. Something has to give. That doesn't mean we should just accept it...but maybe be aware that it will take a lot to simply buy one off the shelf and it perform as we expect it oo. Sometimes it does and often times not. How much we're silling to live with it, is hard to say.

As a side note, Tim, the Leica 35mm Lux asph (pre FLE) suffered from bad field curvature...but the current 35mm Lux asph FLE, has corrected for a great deal of this. Just some general info with regards to that lens.

Dave (D&A)

Guy Mancuso

Called Sigma repair today here in Phoenix and I can walk in with it, so its going in the morning . Keep everyone updated but once fixed this thing just may rock.

D&A

Called Sigma repair today here in Phoenix and I can walk in with it, so its going in the morning . Keep everyone updated but once fixed this thing just may rock.
Guy,

Just out of curiosity, is this C.R.I.S. camera repair?

Dave (D&A)

D&A

Yes it is. Have you used them for service.
Almost did but after a few phone conversations with them, I opted out. I've know quite a few personally who have used their service for both camera and lenses (though not a Sigma). There is another recent thread here on Getdpi that briefly mentions experiences some had with them on the phone and getting specific answers. I don't know which is worse, dealing with automated call centers using a computer for interaction or speaking directly with C.R.I.S phone receptionsits and not getting beyond standard talking points.

In person, I'm sure they're very nice and maybe quite different. As for their work, I know almost first hand its been a mixed bag.

The experience including adjustment/alignment of your lens may work out splendly but if it was me personally, I would send it back to Sigma on L.I. (in NY). regarless of the convienience of C.R.I.S.walk-in service....although up until a few years ago, Sigma's on premise repair left a lot to be desired too It's definitely gotten better these past few years.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

vjbelle

Diglloyd has another post regarding skewing with his copy of the Sigma 35mm. Its pretty severe and only shows that all of the hype for this lens was somewhat unfounded. My Zeiss 35mm F2 has no skewing issues. I am convinced that if anyone can make a premium 35mm lens it will probably be Zeiss.

Victor

Guy Mancuso

Once I get mine straightened out it maybe better than my Zeiss 35mm F2. I like this Sigma and its look so far . Just get it straightened out and I will be a happy camper. If not Ill go back to the Zeiss

D&A

Once I get mine straightened out it maybe better than my Zeiss 35mm F2. I like this Sigma and its look so far . Just get it straightened out and I will be a happy camper. If not Ill go back to the Zeiss
Guy, with the potential of the Sigma 35mm f1.4, I too hope you get it all straightened out.

With regards to my post about C.R.I.S., Could you keep us posted how they did? There are some good stories and not so good ones with their work on adjustment and repair of lenses and cameras. Sort of a mixed bag but hoping your's turns out to be one of the better experiences with them.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

wolf65

i bought the lens a few weeks ago and there is no complaint so far.
wide open its quite ok - but i hardly ever use 1.4 - down to f5.6 its pretty sharp all over and at f8 even the far corners look really good. almost all my lenses are a bit mushy at the far corners, this one is good.

Guy Mancuso

They have the firmware for canon just checking to see if Nikons out so they can get it. I read that it is out so hopefully I will hear soon.

D&A

I assume though besides their needing the firmware for Nikon, they will also have to go through some disassembly of the lens in order to adjust?

Dave (D&A)

tashley

Subscriber Member
I just got my replacement Siggy 35 1.4 and will head out to shoot it soon in order to see if it's sharper across the frame but the first problem is AFFT: my previous copy required a +18 and this one looks like it needs a +22 to 24 :-(

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have come to the ultimate conclusion that buying glass for ANY high-resolution camera requires a "shoppers" mentality: try on several to find the one that looks and fits you -- or in this case your camera -- the best...

I went through 4 50/1.4G's to find a really good one; I took a chance on buying a used 24 PCE that a trusted person told me was better than average, they were right and I am happy; I went through 2 85 PCE's and 2 Sigma 120-300/2.8's and got an exceptional ones both times on the second go; I went through 3 80-200/2.8G's to get the one I have now. I got lucky on my first 24-120, but of course my expectations were moderated; I got lucky on my first Samyang 14, though again my expectations were not stratospheric. The rest I bought used and was able to trial them before buying so knew exactly what I was getting. All of that said, and while I feel I have an exceptional stable, I am equally certain NONE of those lenses are perfect in all ways!

Short conclusion: my advice is to moderate ones expectations -- and then get back to creating images :D

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
I just got my replacement Siggy 35 1.4 and will head out to shoot it soon in order to see if it's sharper across the frame but the first problem is AFFT: my previous copy required a +18 and this one looks like it needs a +22 to 24 :-(
:thumbdown: